Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

271 Posts

December 21st, 2021 12:00

Dell XPS 15 9550 - No Wifi After Clean Reinstall Windows 10 Pro

I used my usb stick with windows 10 to do a clean reinstall of my maybe compromised dell xps laptop. So wanted to wipe it clean. I did the clean reinstall of windows 10 pro.

But when the screen turned on, there is no wifi connection. When you click on the bottom right corner, you see that globe which means you aren't connected to the internet. When you click on it normally, you see a bunch of wifi connections for you to connect to. Instead it shows

Network and internet settings

Airplane mode that is blank and you cannot click on it.

I went to troubleshoot and show available networks and it shows nothing.

This is what I see under device manager for network adapters and other devices

Network adapters

WAN Miniport (IKEv2)
WAN Miniport (IP)
WAN Miniport IPv6
WAN Miniport L2TP
WAN Miniport Network Monitor
WAN Miniport PPOE
WAN Miniport PPTP
WAN Miniport SSTP

These above appear to be installed? There is no yellow exclamation point or anything like that above. When I right click each one of these WAN, it shows device status this device is working properly for each one of these.

However the devices below do have yellow exclamation points and they show The drivers for this device are not installed (code 28) There are no compatible drivers for this device. To find a driver for this device, click update driver. Of course update driver does not work due to no internet.

3D Video Controller
bcm2045a0
Network Controller
pci data acquisition and signal processing controller
pci device
pci memory controller
sm bus controller
unknown device
unknown device
unknown device

Can anyone explain why I have no wifi and apparently no wifi adapter driver if that maybe the case?   Note, my BIOS was very old before I did this clean reinstall. I remember it was like over 5+ years old at least and I never did a bios update. I never did an update because the concern of it bricking... made me never do a bios update.  Could that be a reason?

I read that I should go to dell site and install all the drivers.  I have my service tag and enter it on dell site.  I would do this on another computer since I have no wifi on the dell xps.  But how do I know which driver to install?  Do I only download the network drivers first?  I see there are 7 of them but none of these appear to be the wifi card that I had installed?  I heard I have to download the drivers to a usb and then install it on this xps laptop?

Would connecting a usb wifi adapter that I use on a desktop and plug it into it... maybe give it wifi connection?

4 Posts

March 2nd, 2023 21:00

Please help me which drivers did you downloaded 

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

You're missing (probably among others) the chipset drivers, which you can get and install from here:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/xps-15-9550-laptop/drivers

Then install the wireless driver.

1 Rookie

• 

271 Posts

Hi.  Can you tell me specifically which drivers is that?   So first type in my service tag into dell site.  Then it shows the drivers that are available.  Do I click on network and download those?  Or do I download the ones already shown on the page?

You say install the wireless driver but which one or ones is that on the page?

1 Rookie

• 

271 Posts

December 21st, 2021 15:00

After I type in my dell service tag on dell site... this is what shows as the drivers for MY PC.  Some show popular and some show popular and urgent. 

I had downloaded the Dell Wireless 1820A/1830 Wifi driver and Dell Wireless 1820A Bluetooth Driver on my windows desktop.  Then transferred the files to a usb flash drive... but got message 

Are you sure you want to copy this file without its properties?  The file ........ has properties that can't be copied to the new location.  I clicked yes.  Then I connected this usb to my dell xps laptop and I believe I installed both drivers.  But there is no wifi nor the dell wireless driver isn't even shown when i search for it on start menu.

Realtek High Definition Audio Driver        POPULAR    Audio

Realtek Memory Card Reader Driver      POPULAR    Chipset

Intel Thunderbolt Firmware Update         POPULAR    Chipset

Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Driver           POPULAR    Chipset

Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver and Manage Console   POPULAR  Serial ATA

Dell Help and Support Application                                             POPULAR   Application

Intel HID Event Filter Driver                   Chipset

Intel HID Event Filter Driver                    System Utilities

Dell Foundation Services  Application     Application

Dell Wireless 1820A/1830 Wi-fi Driver     Network

Dell Wireless 1820A Bluetooth Driver     Network

Intel HD/Iris/Iris Pro Graphics Driver       Video

Dell Wireless 1830 Wifi Driver                           Modem/Communications

Dell Update/Alienware Update Application       Application

Dell Wireless 1830 Bluetooth Application         Modem/Communications               

Realtek USB GBE Ethernet Controller Driver   Docks/Stands

Intel 100 Series Chipset Driver                         Chipset

Realtek USB Audio Legacy Driver                     Docks/Stands

Intel Serial IO Driver                                          Chipset

STMicroelectronics Free Fall Data Protection Driver      Chipset

STMicroelectronics Motion Sensor Driver                       System Utilities

ASMedia USB extensible Host Controller Driver               Docks/Stands

Intel Chipset Device Software                                           Chipset

Realtek USB Audio Driver                                                 Docks/Stands

Dell/Alienware Digital Delivery Application                         Application

Dell SupportAssist OS Recovery Plugin for Dell Update    Application

Dell Customer Connect                                                      Application

Intel Thunderbolt Controller Driver                        POPULAR URGENT    Chipset 

NVIDIA GeForce/Quadro Series Graphics Driver  POPULAR URGENT    Video

Intel Management Engine Components Installer    POPULAR URGENT   Chipset

Dell XPS 15 9550 System BIOS                               POPULAR URGENT  BIOS

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

December 21st, 2021 16:00

Please view the information in link below, hopefully it will be a help to you

How to Install Dell Drivers in the Correct Order | Dell US

Also, you could consider using Support Assist application to install latest Dell drivers / firmware and applications for the computer. Just click on link below and download / install the application onto the computer. 

SupportAssist for home PCs | Dell US

After installing Support Assist application, type Support Assist onto the search box, you should be able to see the application now.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

December 21st, 2021 17:00

@quickguide01  I will try to help you once here. The Network Controller that you see in Device Manager is your WiFi card without any drivers loaded. View its properties, go to Details, and change the dropdown selection to “Hardware Ids”. You will see PCI Ven and Dev codes on a line there. Each will be four characters. If you Google those, you should be able to find out the WiFi card vendor and model and therefore the correct driver to install. If you can’t figure that out, post the VEN and DEV codes here.

Once you get WiFi working, you can download and install Dell Update to get most or all remaining drivers.

1 Rookie

• 

271 Posts

December 22nd, 2021 11:00

I was able to get the wifi working by downloading those two network drivers.  Then opening and extracting the files.  I then clicked on check for windows updates and then it updated.  So now I have internet.  I then went to dell driver site and downloaded all the drivers that were labeled as urgent except the BIOS.  That is recommended right? 

The laptop appears to work but

But when I go to other devices, it shows these devices with yellow exclamation points.  These need to be fixed right?

BCM2045A0
PCI Data Acquisition and Signal Processing Controller
PCI Data Acquisition and Signal Processing Controller
PCI Memory Controler
SM Bus Controller
Unknown Device
Unknown Device
Unknown Device
Unknown Device
Unknown Device
Unknown Device
Unknown Device

Previously before I got the wifi working and installed windows updates and those required drivers... it showed these had exclamation marks

3D Video Controller
bcm2045a0
Network Controller
pci device
pci memory controller
sm bus controller
unknown device
unknown device
unknown device

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

December 22nd, 2021 22:00

@quickguide01  Download and install Dell Update, which will handle the necessary BIOS, firmware, and driver installations/updates. Get the Windows Universal Application version: https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000187189/dell-update-alienware-update

1 Message

March 17th, 2022 00:00

How did you get back the wifi? I am also facing the same problem.

4 Posts

March 2nd, 2023 21:00

Hi bro i am also facing same problem could you tell me which drivers you used solve this problem please 

1 Rookie

• 

109 Posts

March 2nd, 2023 22:00

Well you can try the following fix:

1. Press Windows + X and click on 'Device Manager'.
  2. Now, right click on network adapter and choose 'Uninstall'.
  3. Click on 'Delete the driver software for this device'.
  4. Reboot the system and Windows will automatically reinstall the drivers.

4 Posts

March 3rd, 2023 02:00

Also tried changing the wifi adaptor to intel 9260 didnt work

image.jpg

4 Posts

March 3rd, 2023 02:00

image.jpg

image.jpg

I uninstalled and rebooted as mentioned but windows didnt reinstall the drivers and i dont see wifi anywhere 

image.jpg

No Events found!