Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

M

5 Posts

January 20th, 2020 04:00

Dell XPS 15 9560 Amber Light Blinking

Hi everyone, 

I am a student at college and a film-editor who uses his Dell Xps 15 9560 on a daily basis for work. Recently, my laptop has started flashing amber lights and each time i remove the charging cable it shuts down. I try to turn it back on but, no luck. This is very frustrating as I can't take my laptop to classes anymore or work on-the-go. Please help. 

5 Posts

June 30th, 2020 11:00

As an update, I have yet to receive any contact from Dell other than my initial phone call with them. My battery on the other hand has now started to bulge.

• 

25.1K Posts

July 1st, 2020 08:00

Hello. We are awaiting your response. Do reach out to us at your convenience for us to assist you further. ^MP

• 

25.1K Posts

July 2nd, 2020 05:00

Hello. We are awaiting your response. Do reach out to us for further assistance, until then we shall be temporarily archiving the case at our end. ^MP

July 2nd, 2020 11:00

This is why there is a disconnect between IT/tech support and users.

I replied, via private message and above. First, as I said, there is no "standard" setting under any of my power management settings. All of the settings are the same now as they were before this problem developed. I do have another setting that offers standard or custom, and that was and still is on standard. 

Second, I did the BIOS exercise you suggested -- and that did not resolve the issue. I went through all of these settings with Dell Tech Support, and while I can't screenshot what it says and I didn't write all of it down, Dell Tech Support said that everything is correct. When we walked through it together, I understood and the settings are correct. 

Third, when I right-click on the battery icon in my lower right system tray -- which is the only place I have a battery icon -- the only two options I have are "Power Options" or "Windows Mobility Center" and neither one of those offers anything like "Dell Extended Battery life Options". That said, I've read and spoke to my in-house IT people and they seem to be of the belief that the Dell Extended Battery Life Options feature is not available in Windows 10.

So...with all this being said...I called Dell Tech Support again! They got a Level 2 tech involved. They went through the same diagnostic tests again! Be patient with me here as I am a tech idiot, so if I don't get all the tech lingo correct, I apologize...So, what the tech "thinks" is going on is -- there is a switch, either on the motherboard, or the daughter-board (I think he called it the I/O board), which is an on/off switch. On allows the battery to charge, hold a charge, etc. That way you can use your laptop when it's not plugged in and use battery power. Off, simply means the battery will not charge or hold a charge. What happens is that your plugged in, your battery will show 100%, but in fact it's 0%. If the switch is off, the battery will not charge. So, you think you are fully charged, but you are at 0%. You unplug your laptop and it turns off immediately, because there is 0% battery power. The tech thinks my switch is off. Why, who knows. He did not know if the motherboard ships with the switch set to off as default, or if techs turn it off when they are replacing the motherboard or daughter-board. I had my motherboard replaced Monday. My laptop worked Monday before the visit. It did not work Monday after the visit. So, Dell is sending another tech to my office to check this.

I realize this doesn't help others, but apparently, there are other resolutions/solutions. If calling Dell Tech Support is an option, I strongly suggest it. I have no choice as I can't do any of this self-diagnosis and self-help work that all of you do.

Update to follow...

4 Operator

• 

159 Posts

July 2nd, 2020 13:00

Hi, I have relied to you via a private message. 

Geoffrey

July 3rd, 2020 05:00

Update...my specific problem is resolved...it turned out to be the switch I spoke of in my previous post. Now, that said, the problem of the computer shutting down as soon as it was unplugged was a NEW problem. It had only started happening since the motherboard got replaced. Prior to that, the battery/charging problem was different.

So, the technician showed up. He knew exactly what to look for. It turns out that the switch was not where Dell had previously said it was, and he said he had no reason to look elsewhere/where it turned out to be. He apologized. I told him no problem and I was just glad the problem was able to get resolved. Now, according to Dell there is some sort of battery/charging issue as it is not an uncommon occurrence. What that means I don't know.

My previous problem may be resolved as well. I haven't had it happen since the guy came here the second time. It seems to me that "plugged in" doesn't mean "charging" all the time, at least it didn't for me. It also was a problem that while I was using the proper charger/cable that Dell supplied and the second one which was identical and which Dell sold me -- was being picked up by the XPS as "not being the right charger" (power-wise). I constantly got the message that the charger  was using was not the right wattage/voltage, power level, etc. and that because it was not 130w my laptop would "drain" power faster than it could charge. This was very frustrating. Well, the good news is...since the guy got here the first time...he was here twice this week...that problem is no longer happening. Dell said it was a "motherboard" problem.

So, as of right now, all appears to be good. For others having this problem, which is a different cause than my problem was, I suggest calling Dell Tech Support. I can't fathom was the potential solutions are. I've had plenty of motherboards replaced over the course of my years with Dell, over the course of several laptops, and for whatever reason, that very often seemed to solve a variety of problems. Thanks to everyone for the insight and expertise!

10 Posts

July 5th, 2020 16:00

I am having the same issue. After recent BIOS update (1.19.2 on 5/22/2020) it started acting weird. It would restart after sleep. Now the battery wont charge on its own.

1 Message

July 17th, 2020 22:00

I'm having the same problem after the latest Dell update. Any help?

1 Message

July 18th, 2020 15:00

Exactly the same issue here! Today I used my laptop like normal.... this evening too... an hour ago I wanted to start my computer and the amber light blinked. It wo'nt charge and will shut down as soon as I unplug it, even though the battery is charged for more than 50%. 

2 Posts

July 19th, 2020 14:00

This just happened to me.

I'm quite dissapointed, I bought my dell only 3 years ago and from then on I always held dell to high standards. I had a mac before then for over 4 years, the battery lost maybe 2 hours of charge during that time but it never just stopped suddenly.

It's dissapointing, I really thought I was investing in quality....

1 Message

July 28th, 2020 01:00

I am having the same issue today! Has anyone solved it through battery replacement?

1 Message

July 28th, 2020 10:00

I also experienced the same thing yesterday, I replaced it with a new battery and the problem was solved.
but the battery I bought didn't look authentic even though the seller said it was authentic. very difficult to find an original battery

5 Posts

August 10th, 2020 18:00

I just started to experience this issue today, blinking amber light and laptop won't power on if unplugged. From reading this thread this sounds like this could be a wide-spread issue that Dell has difficulty addressing. I hope to have this resolved soon as this laptop wasn't particularly cheap.

1 Message

August 12th, 2020 14:00

Just had an "urgent update" installed from Dell and now mine does the same.

Not very impressed as it was a lot of money and only 2 years old  

Will be contacting my supplier in the morning as I took out the extended cover.

1 Message

August 12th, 2020 19:00

I had this issue in April, replaced the battery in May and the problem was solved... 

BUT! 

Now today (August) it's happened again.

Now im not sure where to go with the issue. Gr

No Events found!