Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

April 3rd, 2018 20:00

XPS 15-9560, Fan Always On and Always Loud

Hello,

I recently purchased a Dell XPS 15 9560 with 32 GB of ram and a 1 TB SSD.  When I first powered it on and began to progress through the setup screen, the fan turned on.  I hadn't even connected to the internet or opened any programs, yet the fan was still running at a noticeably audible and relatively frustrating level. The fan continued to run even after I finished the setup and left the computer idle.  

When I connected to the internet and opened a few tabs of Chrome, the problem obviously became worse.  I downloaded the recommended updates hoping the fan noise would be cured but it wasn't. I then exchanged the laptop for another of the same model and specs at the Microsoft Store, as a new laptop fresh out of the box shouldn't have such an issue.  However, the same problem persisted.  As I'm writing this, I have 5 tabs of Microsoft Edge along with 2 tabs of Google Chrome open, yet the fan is still working double time. 

I know this can't be normal, especially since this is supposed to be a top of the line machine. My MacBook Pro of a similar price is currently running 50 tabs of Google Chrome, 40 tabs of Safari, and 10 other applications, yet is completely silent.  I purchased the Dell XPS 15 because I read and was told it was the closest Windows compatible machine to a Mac in terms of power, reliability, and quality.  However, the apparent discrepancy in performance is pretty egregious.

The other post on this topic came to the conclusion that all Dell XPS 15's have loud fans by Dell's design but that just can't be right.  There's no way a machine this expensive should exude a loud fan with no applications open or resources being used. In addition, after doing a Google Search, I discovered that some people do have completely quiet machines.

For those that have the fan issue, have you been able to solve it? If so, how? For those that have completely quiet machines, where did you purchase them?  Since I've already gone through multiple machines from the Microsoft Store with the same issue, could this be a result of purchasing from them?  

Any help or insight as to why the fans of the Dell XPS 15 are so loud and information on how to solve the problem would be greatly appreciated.

1 Message

October 8th, 2019 10:00

I can confirm that installing Dell Power Manager from the Windows Store has significantly improved my experience with my Dell XPS 15 9560. I recommend installing it from the Windows Store FIRST https://www.microsoft.com/store/productId/9PD11RQ8QC9K because the application will automatically search for and install the drivers it needs on your device. When you launch the app, it can take a while to open (in my experience, over a minute) but it is honestly useful enough to have come as "bloatware" with the product. You can check battery health and automatically lower the battery charge threshold overnight, for example.

But we're here to talk about fan speed. Head on over to Thermal Management, click "Quiet", and all your loud fan woes should be quelled. This is important: do not leave Dell Power Manager on "Optimized" Thermal settings!!! Set it to "Cool" or "Quiet"! I left mine in the optimized state, and my CPU temperature went up to 97 degrees Celsius just from having edge and mail open. However, once set to quiet, it will run quiet. Right now, I'm pushing Edge, Discord, Calendar and Mail across two screens. The CPU is at 60 degrees Celsius (actually lower than before I had this app installed), I haven't had any disconcerting dips in performance like I used to, and the fans are spinning at the minimum level instead of top speed. (yeah, it's not silent, but it would be if I had fewer things open.)

Finally, to clarify, the battery settings can be left on "adaptive"; it's leaving thermal settings on "optimized" that causes problems. I haven't tried thermal's "performance" mode, as I'm afraid I'd melt my CPU.

(edited)

9.4K Posts

April 4th, 2018 07:00

Hi AJRlver1,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

Another user with a similar problem posted this resolution:

In Control Panel under 'Power Options' I chose my default Dell power plan and picked 'Edit Plan Settings' then chose 'Change Advanced Power Settings'. I then went down to 'Processor Power Management' and changed 'Maximum Processor State' from 100% to 90%. I also set 'System Cooling Policy' to 'Passive'.

Stopping the CPU from hitting 100% has stopped the PSU fan from revving like a jet engine. My system is much quieter now during gaming."

Not sure if this will work for you, but it's worth a try.

Additionally, here is information from the Dell knowledge base you may find helpful:

Troubleshooting fan noise

29 Posts

April 4th, 2018 08:00

Hello,

Thank you for the reply.  However, it seems as if the poster who provided the solution was having the fan issue when actually performing strenuous processes, such as gaming. 

"Stopping the CPU from hitting 100% has stopped the PSU fan from revving like a jet engine. My system is much quieter now during gaming."

In my case, the fan is running even with no applications open.  When checking the Task Manager, the CPU usage is nowhere near 100%.  Regardless, the fan still runs, even when the computer is sitting idly.  It was running loudly even during the setup screen, when not connected to the internet and with no programs open.  I have experienced the issue straight out of the box with multiple Dell XPS 15's that are supposedly brand new.  I haven't even downloaded or used the programs that are supposed to tax the machine and that I bought the laptop for to be able to efficiently run in the first place, so I can't even imagine how loud the fan will be when I've done so.  

Because of these reasons, isn't it safe to say that I've just been unlucky enough to get a batch of defective laptops, more than justifying another return?

29 Posts

April 4th, 2018 12:00

robert p - I tried the solution given and adjusted the power settings.  The fan unfortunately continued to run as if nothing had changed.  This was with only 7 tabs of Mircrosoft Edge Open and after a factory reset, a far cry from performing a CPU intensive activity such as gaming. The reason I purchased the 32 gb version was to be able to perform CPU intensive activities without the computer being strained. I don't understand how the fans kick in with close to no activity at all.

I also checked to see when the Manufacture Date of the laptop was, thinking I had maybe received an older version before Dell had gotten a chance to correct the design flaws that many others have raised across the internet, dating back years.  According to the Service Tag, my XPS 15 was manufactured in January 2018.  This means that in 2018, Dell is still shipping out supposedly high end, yet defective XPS 15's which seems unacceptable. For those of you who were lucky enough to get a fully functional XPS 15 (32 gb ram, 1 td ssd, Touch ID) with no defects, when was yours manufactured and where did you purchase it from?

9.4K Posts

April 6th, 2018 03:00

Have you run the systems diagnostics yet?

Resolve Hardware Issues With Built-in and Online Diagnostics

Since your system was recently manufactured, have you contacted Tech Support?  Your system should be covered under warranty.

You can contact Tech Support at 1-800-624-9896  or 1-800-288-4410, or you can initiate a chat session http://dell.to/2v4snVm

1 Message

May 14th, 2018 08:00

This is actually a really common problem, I see several versions of this question on the support site over the past couple of months. It seems like some significant, common change is to blame, like perhaps a problem with a windows update. Has Dell identified this problem and its solution yet?

May 17th, 2018 16:00

I have the same issue when I connect the laptop to a docking station. Technical support tried to update some drivers. Nothing changed. They sent me another laptop. Same problem. Another docking station. Same problem.

The fan goes on all the time also when I connect the power supply.

Wasting my time with this issue. The sound of the fan is very annoying.

1 Message

June 7th, 2018 02:00

Definitely a problem with the windows update, I have reinstalled an older version and it works fine again. I am running the latest bios 1.9.4.

The strange thing is that even when rebooting the computer the fans make the strange high speed noises with the creators version , after reinstalling with the old windows 10.0.10240 they work normally even when rebooting. I had no issues until I updated in 2018. The version installed on the computer at purchase worked fine. It has to be a windows update that has messed the fans up.

2 Posts

June 8th, 2018 16:00

I have the exact same problem since they replaced my motherboard last month.

1 Message

July 6th, 2018 10:00

Same here,

this happens all the time with my machine since I bought it in feb 2017. This (as well as all the other issues) is just unacceptable on a 2400€ computer.

10 Posts

July 7th, 2018 04:00

i use latest bios 1.9.4 from 26 Apr 2018.
i confirm the problem.

cpu utilization 10%, temp 42 C -- loud fan noise! why? i have never heard the fan noise of macbook pro 15 (2013) 2.6 GHz (i7-4960HQ, TWP 47W) in light load mode(windows 10, chrome, office).

all that dell staff recommends don't work at all:
1. dell command power manager->thermal management->quiet
2. power options->maximum cpu state: 90%,  Processor Power Management -> System Cooling Policy, Plugged In to Passive
3. intel xtu->core coltage offset: -0.130V

my friends already have started looking for ASUS ZenBook Pro 15 UX580GD with Intel CPU i9-8950HK.

Frank Azor, please fix the fan problem for the xps 15 premium luxury high-end business laptop! 

6 Posts

July 9th, 2018 03:00

Fans are always on with the latest BIOS 1.9.4.
The tricks with Dell Power Manager, Windows Power Options, undervoltage don't work.
Only HWiNFO Fan Control with Custom Auto settings could stop fans.
Unfortunately HWiNFO is overridden by some software so I set Respin period to 50ms and sometimes I can hear the fans crackles.

3 Posts

July 20th, 2018 06:00

@SaltAndPepper wrote:

I have the same issue when I connect the laptop to a docking station. Technical support tried to update some drivers. Nothing changed. They sent me another laptop. Same problem. Another docking station. Same problem.

The fan goes on all the time also when I connect the power supply.

Wasting my time with this issue. The sound of the fan is very annoying.

Same here. It's fine when not connected, however when connected it's always on and very loud.

1 Message

September 12th, 2018 08:00

I have the same problem. Dell confirmed to me that this is how it works...

no way to fix it.

I will move to another laptop brand.

3 Posts

September 12th, 2018 13:00

Have you updated the firmware? It's much better for me now.

No Events found!