8 Krypton

Re: Dell XPS 15 9560 Fan Always On and Always Loud

I don't think there's a fix for it.  You just have to be lucky enough to receive a unit that doesn't have fan issues.  I haven't been.

0 Kudos
DarraghC
1 Copper

I just went through a really annoying sign-up process for the sole purpose of telling you that you are the greatest living human. Laptop cool and happy now. Thank you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
evaxquhqis
1 Copper

The most reliable solution I've found to quiet the fan is to unplug from AC, suspend or hibernate the laptop, then plug the AC back in and finally 'resume'. If the laptop becomes unplugged and is plugged back in again, the fan will kick back on and you will have to repeat the suspend gimmick. It seems this issue is caused by a BIOS flaw that keeps the CPU in a higher package C state (PC3) than necessary when it detects the AC power. (I've been through each and every BIOS release to test this issue).

So, by 'sneaking' the power in while the laptop is suspended, I've been able to enjoy a CPU/package temperature over 45C without the fan staying on constantly and the package C state reaches the lowest-possible (PC8). The fan will run if the temperature is high, and will turn back off when the temperature drops.

Unfortunately, after suspend, the SMBIOS table becomes corrupt and I'm unable to adjust the thermal profile from 'quiet' to 'performance'. But at least the fan is off! Certainly can't be expected behavior for the little fans to run 100% duty-cycle when plugged in. Good thing is the warranty will be long-since-expired when the fans fail, so you'll be able to justify buying another laptop that doesn't have this issue.

Team Scream
1 Copper

Unbelievable that I am just now discovering this. I purchased my new XPS 15 on black Friday and just received it today, only to discover that that the thing sounds like a Lear jet on takeoff roll.....
I will not be keeping this laptop with this horrible and annoying fan noise. I work in the movie business and the sound guys are already sensitive enough to any kind of background noise....This will drive them up the wall.... and cause them to make me turn the laptop off while we are rolling...

Aint gonna happen....

Team Scream,

Click the links below for resolving fan noise.

How to Troubleshoot Fan Issues

Fan

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, send us via a private message: Dell PC or Monitor Service Tag number
Out of Warranty Support
Where do I find my Dell PC Service Tag or Express service code?
Where do I post SA (SupportAssist) issue/questions?
0 Kudos
beemike
1 Copper

go to > Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings then change advanced power settings and to Processor power management go to System cooling policy change them all to Passive.

0 Kudos
George210
1 Copper

I think I know what the problem is. In my case the device starts to kick the fans when I plug in the AC and after a few minutes a little area left of the caps lock button starts to getting warm. And no matter what you are doing it seems that it reads the temperature of that area. As soon as I unplugged the AC and the area is getting cooler and cooler the fans slow down and after 5 minutes stops entirely. I think it's an easy fix with a bios update I do not know who it could be a Windows problem. That's all from me

0 Kudos
Spaggio
1 Nickel

I changed the motherboard today. 

All the bios and driver updates done.

Fan are running full speed when plugged AC, the only way is to change to setting to passive as already suggested. I cant understand why Dell would not release a bios update to fix this mess.

The official trouble shooting guide is ridiculous.

Very bad, Dell, very very bad

0 Kudos
syntax9
1 Copper

Dell will never release a fix.. They have turned into a horrible company which 5,000 dollar laptop is nothing but trash. I will never buy another dell

0 Kudos
galki
1 Copper

On Windows, open Dell Power Manager (3.1.0) > Thermal Management > Select "Quiet". Another thing that works is moving to Alaska.
0 Kudos