Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

April 3rd, 2018 20:00

XPS 15-9560, Fan Always On and Always Loud

Hello,

I recently purchased a Dell XPS 15 9560 with 32 GB of ram and a 1 TB SSD.  When I first powered it on and began to progress through the setup screen, the fan turned on.  I hadn't even connected to the internet or opened any programs, yet the fan was still running at a noticeably audible and relatively frustrating level. The fan continued to run even after I finished the setup and left the computer idle.  

When I connected to the internet and opened a few tabs of Chrome, the problem obviously became worse.  I downloaded the recommended updates hoping the fan noise would be cured but it wasn't. I then exchanged the laptop for another of the same model and specs at the Microsoft Store, as a new laptop fresh out of the box shouldn't have such an issue.  However, the same problem persisted.  As I'm writing this, I have 5 tabs of Microsoft Edge along with 2 tabs of Google Chrome open, yet the fan is still working double time. 

I know this can't be normal, especially since this is supposed to be a top of the line machine. My MacBook Pro of a similar price is currently running 50 tabs of Google Chrome, 40 tabs of Safari, and 10 other applications, yet is completely silent.  I purchased the Dell XPS 15 because I read and was told it was the closest Windows compatible machine to a Mac in terms of power, reliability, and quality.  However, the apparent discrepancy in performance is pretty egregious.

The other post on this topic came to the conclusion that all Dell XPS 15's have loud fans by Dell's design but that just can't be right.  There's no way a machine this expensive should exude a loud fan with no applications open or resources being used. In addition, after doing a Google Search, I discovered that some people do have completely quiet machines.

For those that have the fan issue, have you been able to solve it? If so, how? For those that have completely quiet machines, where did you purchase them?  Since I've already gone through multiple machines from the Microsoft Store with the same issue, could this be a result of purchasing from them?  

Any help or insight as to why the fans of the Dell XPS 15 are so loud and information on how to solve the problem would be greatly appreciated.

6 Posts

February 27th, 2019 02:00

galki, we all have tried this and that. the problem is that dell does not want to fix the bug.

19 Posts

March 12th, 2019 10:00

Dell customers,

I have also just recently encountered this problem and I have a solution that worked for me.

Problem: Fan running at high speed continuously from booting up the laptop. Fan continues to run at high speed regardless of what tasks/programs are being run. I.e. when the laptop is idle, fan still runs at high speed.

Cause: In my case, I shut down the laptop using the start menu and then selected shut down. I put my laptop lid down and I switched the mains off BEFORE the laptop went through the full cycle of shutting down. This caused my laptop to not shut down properly but went into part Hibernation and part still on mode. Yes it sounds odd but basically I could see the laptop LED thinking but the fan was off. NOTE: my AC power supply unit was connected to the laptop.

Therefore the laptop doesn’t shut down properly and I had to press and hold the power button on the laptop itself to power off completely.

When I turned the laptop back on, the fan was running at high speed regardless of how many times I shut down the laptop properly.

Solution: To resolve this, once the laptop in on, you need to press start from windows, and then select HIBERNATE. Let the laptop go into hibernation mode. Once this is complete, press the power button on the laptop to turn on the laptop again. Do not press and hold the power button. Just press once.

You may be prompted with a system message 'Cant remember what mine came up with' but just press return and you will be returned to Windows.

Then press start from windows and select 'shut down'. Let the laptop fully shut down and then power back on. NOTE: my AC power supply unit was connected to the laptop during this process.

Result: Your fan should be running a lot quieter and should resume normal operation.

Note: My system cooling configuration was accessed by going to Control Panel>System and Security>Change battery Settings>Change Plan settings (For the power option that is currently connected)>Change advanced power settings>Processor Power Management>System Cooling Policy and then in my case since the AC Power supply was connected I changed the option from Active to Passive.

I’m not sure if this really makes a difference if you left it as Active as others here have suggested it made a difference for them.

Also my laptop power option is always left on at High Performance and is always plugged into the mains.

Also ensure the inlet vent at the bottom of the laptop and the exit vents are clear of dust. Use a vacuum to suck the dust out.

I hope this helps others but I want to say a massive thanks to evaxquhqis who has posted earlier that led to my diagnosis and rectification.

All my DELL drivers are up to date and from the Dell website. Windows 7 updates have been done but not all.

Also I use MSI AFTERBURNER which is free to download. Ensure the core clock, memory clock are at the minimum setting. I use this as I have my laptop connect to an external monitor and my monitor screen was crashing all the time with solid colours which were different all the time.

My nvidia graphis card driver is from the Dell website. Do not update the nvidia graphics driver from nvidia website itself.

I hope this helps others.

19 Posts

thanks so much for this. Read my reply!

10 Posts

we all tried all that. it does not work.

12 Posts

March 13th, 2019 07:00

Post after post about fans running even tho the computer is idle or doing limited work. Then the Dell representative just send a link how to cool your computer more or say it's intended design. 

It's either bad hardware design or bad software or probably both.
Dell representative: Just escalate the problem and get this mess fixed!

19 Posts

March 15th, 2019 11:00

sorry should have said I dont work for dell im just a customer.

2 Posts

March 21st, 2019 11:00

Man it worked for me and it's working very good. Try download again the last version and do as the picture. I do not see why it workes only for me or for some.Untitled.jpg

2 Posts

Guys i finally got a solution. I've tried before with monitoring and fan controlling softwares to fix that and i found one that is working perfectly for me anyways. Download HWiNFO64 go to sensors tab and there is a fan icon down at the window. Set your fan curve here and hopefully it will work. 

Best of Luck

6 Posts

i tried that. doesn't work.

March 31st, 2019 17:00

I have the same super-annoying issue with the Dell Inspiron tower. I took it back to have the techs look at it, fix it, etc. They informed me that that was just how much noise it makes and basically to like it or lump it. Very unhappy and will NEVER buy Dell again, that is for sure. As for now, I just play music all of the time. Really a big problem for me because I am highly sensitive to noise, and I must be on my computer all day, every day!

1 Message

June 5th, 2019 10:00

I have tried some of the suggestions here but the fan keeps running. 

I tried Full diagnostics. This did identity several drives and BIOS upgrades. BIOS upgrades took three cycles and this resulted in a second round of driver updates. After this the fan does seem to be able to run at a lower speed - previously it was either off or on full. So perhaps running a full diagnostic + the required upgrades has helped. Allow at least an hour to do that.

At the moment I have only Google Chrome open and the fan is running, but at a slower speed, so far less noisy.

1 Message

September 2nd, 2019 13:00

Try installing the Dell Power Manager and adjust the Heat Control to Silent. This dramatically reduced fan noice on my dell xps 15 9560 from 2017.

First, install the Dell Power Manager Service (DPM) 3.0 from Dell's website (link to Danish version, you should be able to change language in the footer). It's a 13.78 MB driver file. During installation you'll be told to download the "Dell Power Manager" from the Microsoft Store. 

Open the Microsoft Store (app comes with Windows 10) and search for "Dell Power Manager". 

Install the app, run it, navigate to "Heat Control" and adjust to "Silent".

Try it out.

November 27th, 2019 13:00

Hello

same problem on studio xps 1645.

digged the internet for hours without any succes.

then realized, that the startup screen seems other than usual, 2 black screens at tha start blinking for a half second with some text, and the laptop boots to windows, no dell logo etc.

then made a video in time lapse mode

Screenshot_2019-11-27-22-51-34-611_com.miui.videoplayer.jpg

AND IT SOLVED THE PROBLEM !!!

at the startup simply hold FN and hit sometimes x. and pay me a beer :-))

2 Posts

January 25th, 2020 07:00

In my case, I found that the Dell Support Assist Remediation Service was constantly using around 10% of CPU. Once I removed that service, which seems to conflict with more recent versions of Dell Support Assist, the PC is super quiet. A pleasure to work with. See https://www.dell.com/community/SupportAssist-for-PCs/SupportAssist-services-can-they-disabled/td-p/6034209/page/2

1 Message

December 23rd, 2023 01:38

The Dell Power Manager is NOT in the Microsoft Store. Where is it?

No Events found!