nathald1
6 Indium

Re: Dell XPS 15 9560 Fan Always On and Always Loud

i use latest bios 1.9.4 from 26 Apr 2018.
i confirm the problem.

cpu utilization 10%, temp 42 C -- loud fan noise! why? i have never heard the fan noise of macbook pro 15 (2013) 2.6 GHz (i7-4960HQ, TWP 47W) in light load mode(windows 10, chrome, office).

all that dell staff recommends don't work at all:
. dell command power manager->thermal management->quiet
2. power options->maximum cpu state: 90%,  Processor Power Management -> System Cooling Policy, Plugged In to Passive
3. intel xtu->core coltage offset: -0.130V

my friends already have started looking for ASUS ZenBook Pro 15 UX580GD with Intel CPU i9-8950HK.

Frank Azor, please fix the fan problem for the xps 15 premium luxury high-end business laptop! 

color255
1 Nickel

Fans are always on with the latest BIOS 1.9.4.
The tricks with Dell Power Manager, Windows Power Options, undervoltage don't work.
Only HWiNFO Fan Control with Custom Auto settings could stop fans.
Unfortunately HWiNFO is overridden by some software so I set Respin period to 50ms and sometimes I can hear the fans crackles.

0 Kudos
dracan
1 Copper

@SaltAndPepper wrote:

I have the same issue when I connect the laptop to a docking station. Technical support tried to update some drivers. Nothing changed. They sent me another laptop. Same problem. Another docking station. Same problem.

The fan goes on all the time also when I connect the power supply.

Wasting my time with this issue. The sound of the fan is very annoying.

Same here. It's fine when not connected, however when connected it's always on and very loud.

Joe xps9560
1 Copper

I have the same problem. Dell confirmed to me that this is how it works...

no way to fix it.

I will move to another laptop brand.

dracan
1 Copper

Have you updated the firmware? It's much better for me now.

0 Kudos
nathald1
6 Indium

Yes I have. Nothing has been changed.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Are you referring to the bios? Updating it had no affect on the fans. Neither did undervolting using Throttlestop. And the tech who was sent to do a thermal repasting exacerbated the problem, making the fans sound even worse. This problem wasn’t addressed with the 9570. It does the same exact thing. People must be ok with this because the Returns department at Dell claims the machine is rarely ever returned. But I find this hard to believe as I don’t understand how people can put up with such obnoxiously loud fans, especially in quiet environments. I’ve actually had people ask what was wrong with my computer, all while there’s is completely silent when handling similar loads. Yet Dell still stays this fan behavior is normal, which means the machine’s design is just tremendously flawed 

0 Kudos
nathald1
6 Indium

As far as i understand XPS has three fan modes: 0, 2400 and 4800 rpm. When one uses it for light tasks document editing and browsing fan makes 2400 rpm, but it is still too loud for me. I would pay for highly adaptive fan control from 1 rpm to 5000 rpm and for some expensive high-end fan with some nano technologies. Macbook Pro 2013 with Windows 10 is way more quiet.

0 Kudos
dracan
1 Copper

@AJRIver1 wrote:

Are you referring to the bios?

Not sure to be honest - as I did a number of updates at the same time - eg. firmware, drivers, dock firmware. It was definitely noticeably louder (ie. very loud) when docked previously. Improved greatly for me once I updated everything. Unfortunately, a few weeks later - the CPU then died - so I'm waiting for a replacement, but that's another story! 😞

0 Kudos
seareggie206
1 Copper

Yes, this fan noise is way too loud and for no apparent reason.  Has anyone found a fix for this.  I just bought this laptop last week.  Please help.  I love the most of the other functionality of the computer.  It is just this fan thing that is absolutely annoying.