Highlighted

Re: Dell XPS 15 9560 Incredibly slow with every program with

Jump to solution

@bennymcl wrote:

Additionally, I have decided to test with other games I used to run, but now have gone sluggish AND lag the system even after I close.

I was playing Total War: Warhammer on medium settings... medium. It's the next one up from lowest. And I was getting terrible FPS (below 30) when I used to be able to play it smoothly on high settings. Not only that, but the entire computer was lagging for 5-7 minutes after I closed out the game entirely and there were NO other apps running....

What am I supposed to do? (already tried your harddrive thing, it was already set to the settings in the guide)

EDIT: Even 10 minutes after I shut it down, sites like youtube are still stuttering and lagging... browser is the only thing I have open.......

Hi @bennymcl

Thanks for trying the drive optimisation. As it hasn't resolved the issue then we need to determine what is causing the performance throttling, is it heat related or is it something else. As @Anonymous and @samos1111 have suggested, you could try running those applications to see if the cpu temperature is spiking and the system is being throttled to prevent it from shutting down and then check task manager to see what is using all the resources.

For the performance profiles, I would suggest installing Command | Power Manager from here and setting the system to maximum performance and then testing again.

Ultimately, I suspect a service call may be required to fix this but we need to rule out the above as you have already reinstalled the OS and drivers on the system.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 9am-4pm GMT
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

@AnonymousYes, I have been checking it and it goes up when I am playing or have a lot of apps open, but it's not maxed. Even after I have shut down everything (after TW Warhammer) and it's being laggy, the CPU, GPU and RAM is all low use like it should be..

@samos1111well I know when I run the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility, everything passes, but then when it's finished... I get the SAME lag that I got when I closed the games.. CPU 9%, RAM 35 .... So lost

During the tests, it was maxing around 90-92 degrees. very rarely hit 97 a couple times I think

@Dell-Alan DJust to summarize. EVE now works OK ... it's not 1050 levels good though, I'm afraid. And, whenever I close down a test or app or game that uses heavy resources, it lags the computer right after for like 10 minutes or more.

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

@Dell-Alan DIt's incredibly frustrating... what should I do? Seriously even when I run a game and RESTART the computer, it's still slow for a long period of time after. This is insane. Please help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

@bennymcl wrote:

@AnonymousYes, I have been checking it and it goes up when I am playing or have a lot of apps open, but it's not maxed. Even after I have shut down everything (after TW Warhammer) and it's being laggy, the CPU, GPU and RAM is all low use like it should be..

@samos1111well I know when I run the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility, everything passes, but then when it's finished... I get the SAME lag that I got when I closed the games.. CPU 9%, RAM 35 .... So lost

During the tests, it was maxing around 90-92 degrees. very rarely hit 97 a couple times I think

@Dell-Alan DJust to summarize. EVE now works OK ... it's not 1050 levels good though, I'm afraid. And, whenever I close down a test or app or game that uses heavy resources, it lags the computer right after for like 10 minutes or more.

@bennymcl Thanks for the info, I'll follow up via private message with regards to your service call details.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 9am-4pm GMT
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Totally!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

How I do know your pain. I see that others have posted, but I just wanted to quickly weigh in. 

Your issues totally mirror mine. I had better and more immediate "success" with Dell in that they didn't even bother to go through all of the riggamarole (sp) in terms of testing this and that; they knew immediately that this was a "mechanical" issue (thanks probably to your and other's complaints). I was instructed to box up the thing, send it to TX (they would send a pre-paid label) and they would have it repaired within 10-12 days.

I took a while because I obviously needed to get all of files off of here in a somewhat organized manner but took a second thought to the matter and decided I should contact the place of purchase to ensure that I was following all warranty requirements. I was connected to Dell and the guy almost sounded panicked that I hadn't already shipped it - there was a box to ship (which I'd specifically asked about and the guy had said, "no") waiting outside for me to do so and he emphasized that I needed to get it out to them immediately. This following his randomly evading my questions about exchanging  this only 6-month-old (first noticed probs at around 2 months) thing for a new one. Something has had me nervous - or heightened my awareness - because something just feels out of whack about this whole thing.

I need my computer to do my work from home. I think an exchange is not out-of-bounds - as you said, for a $2000 computer!!! This was not my first choice - I'd wanted the Precision with an SSD (which this also has but sure doesn't act like it does!) for graphic design - I'm no pro by any means, but I do know what I need from a system for it to be able to handle "me". 

I've been feeling this entire time - and this (among sure-to-be others) has decided that I need a refund or a totally different model, of which I cannot currently afford the disparity in price.

Point being: For any of you who are experiencing this issue or are thinking of purchasing for anything other than gaming (for which I cannot attest, but it certainly can't handle much more than that and that's supposedly the original purpose for this thing), the folks at Dell are clearly aware that there is an issue with this model and have not done anything about placing these machines into the hands of people who are willing to spend $2000 on, as the original poster said, an expensive browser.

Good luck - I was set on a Dell, even after my last one couldn't handle the Windows updates, but I'm totally rethinking this company.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

@TorTorwow. It is nice to hear someone who has exactly the same problems as me. It's CLEAR they are aware of the issue and this guy at Dell helping me is nice, but I am really worried that he's just trying to patch my **bleep** or whatever until the warranty runs out. As it stands, I am never buying Dell again after this. They don't really go above and beyond to keep my loyalty when something messed up. Frustrated and disappointed.

@Dell-Alan Dhas suggested now that I get a service call set up and replace my SSD and motherboard. I am still unsure as to the reason for this. I can't picture in my mind this specific issue relating to either of these two things, but who knows...

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

[That's just great - I just wrote my reply but it seems that it disappeared!!!]

As I was saying, thank you for posting this information!!! No wonder the thing isn't acting like it has an SSD. So that and the motherboard are faulty!!! These are pretty major components - the crux of our on-computer life. They basically want us to send these in to go through a critical surgery while keeping our existing warranties in tact and, as you said, letting them run out and then wipe their hands clean while we're stuck with $2000-machines that do not work. 

It sounds like they should recall all of these XPS models, but then we'd really be out of luck in terms of having a system in hand immediately. I certainly don't want the same computer returned to me after just six months of use and allowing the above to occur to their benefit. But, will they exchange this one for a new one that just has the same issues?

And how the heck do I go about finding a phone number by which to contact a supervisor, anyway? Perhaps @Dell-Alan D has a suggestion? I need this thing changed out quickly - I do not want a repaired six-month old computer; I want to receive what I ordered in the first place which should have a highly functional motherboard and perfectly running SSD - that will remain so forever! - from the get-go. I'm extremely upset about this as it has already cut into the time I would be spending working for my income, clearing this thing of my personal files was a one-day chore in and of itself and I haven't even finished this. I need a truly workable solution from my end - you all should just ship we two new computers that are fully functional per our purchasing expectations and then let us return these flops. 

Let's keep one another posted @bennymcl - hoping for the best of a terrible customer service situation. I will mention to @Dell-Alan D that I am a freelance writer and I just adore writing reviews and even posting full-blown articles that can be quite disparaging. This issue needs to be resolved to my satisfaction today.....

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

@TorTor

Indeed, let's.

I certainly don't expect my computers to run like brand new machines forever.. but I do expect at least 5 solid years of near flawless functionality out of each of my laptops... This one didn't even have a month of properly functioning usability. So far - quite disappointed. Will let you know how it goes with the service call that @Dell-Alan D will be setting up for me.

Cheers

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

This, my third attempt at responding to your message!....

I totally agree - five years minimum for the price of these things!!! I'm so disgusted right now - I notice that your contact @Dell-Alan D hasn't chimed in with any suggestions. At this point I feel like we've been had! They know that the problem is major and are doing nothing to accommodate our situations or respect the time that we are now forced to invest in correcting their problem. I'd be bending over backwards to correct these issues in a conciliatory and expedient manner. I am losing cash every moment that I'm not working, have no one in the company with whom I can speak, knowing that technical support only takes me to India and to techs who are not empowered to resolving this other than in the previous way stated: Fix a machine that is broken due to a fault of their own and return it while our warranties expire! 

I think I may contact the agency of consumer affairs about this and let them take over. I am very upset! Have you heard anything new from your end?

0 Kudos