Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 27th, 2018 06:00

Dell XPS 15 9560 Incredibly slow with every program with fresh install AND shuts down intermittantly

So I have had this computer for about a year. When I first bought it, I didn't really notice anything wrong, but about 2 months after I did, luckily, I was travelling when I first used it and after those 2 months, I was back on my desktop.

Now I am on my laptop again as I am travelling and it's painfully evident that there is something wrong with these computers.

I called Dell support and spend half my day reinstalling the OS and drivers to no available. All the tests read that there were no hardware issues and I have tried every solution I could find - nothing works.

Main Issue

Slow. Stupid slow. Unbearably slow. When I try to use any two programs at once. It's sluggish, laggy and feels like my computer is having a brain fart.

The main issues are when using Chrome (this seemed to kickstart it). But it comes back just as hard if I try to run any game like SC2, EVE Online, etc even on LOW settings (in terms of EVE). EVE's recommended specs are well below this computer and even when I run it in 1080p on the lowest settings possible, it's still laggy as **bleep**. (I should be able to run it on modestly high graphics even on 4k - it's a 1050 GTX Ti for crying out loud)

In addition, all of my web developing apps like PHP Storm, FileZilla, etc all take a hit. I can't switch efficiently between browser, command line, IDE and FTP because it delays for 2 - 3 seconds. It's immensely irritating.

Browsers

Firefox seems to have the best performance on this machine, but it's still laggy and stuttering. If there is ONE program trying to do something, FORGET IT, any other app I try to use (even browsing going from tab to tab) is SLOW because the computer is working on doing whatever it is on the other app (These are NOT 3D software apps - this laptop should be able to murder all of these apps at the same time with no issue).

Videos

Watching Twitch or Youtube from any browser also often gets stuttering in the sound and/or video. As someone who likes to have music videos or twitch on in the background while I work, this is more important to me than usual I guess. But again, this is NOT A BAD COMPUTER. This is the most expensive laptop I have owned and it is easily the worst performing one. Feeling utterly ripped off.

Insanity Setting In

It's driving me INSANE and I need help. Dell support has been unsurprisingly useless. This is my first and last Dell, I think. So utterly disappointed with the lack of useful support provided and by the fact that it seems I've paid over 2 grand for a web browser machine that does it worse than my phone.

If anyone has ANY ideas, I welcome them all. I'm at my wits end. As an owner of a very high end PC, I expect this laptop to at least be able to run my 4-6 web apps (including a browser) with NO issues.

I appreciate and any all help provided...

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

June 4th, 2018 01:00

@bennymcl wrote:

@AnonymousYes, I have been checking it and it goes up when I am playing or have a lot of apps open, but it's not maxed. Even after I have shut down everything (after TW Warhammer) and it's being laggy, the CPU, GPU and RAM is all low use like it should be..

@samos1111well I know when I run the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility, everything passes, but then when it's finished... I get the SAME lag that I got when I closed the games.. CPU 9%, RAM 35 .... So lost

During the tests, it was maxing around 90-92 degrees. very rarely hit 97 a couple times I think

@Dell-Alan DJust to summarize. EVE now works OK ... it's not 1050 levels good though, I'm afraid. And, whenever I close down a test or app or game that uses heavy resources, it lags the computer right after for like 10 minutes or more.

@bennymcl Thanks for the info, I'll follow up via private message with regards to your service call details.

Alan

22 Posts

June 4th, 2018 08:00

@TorTorwow. It is nice to hear someone who has exactly the same problems as me. It's CLEAR they are aware of the issue and this guy at Dell helping me is nice, but I am really worried that he's just trying to patch my **bleep** or whatever until the warranty runs out. As it stands, I am never buying Dell again after this. They don't really go above and beyond to keep my loyalty when something messed up. Frustrated and disappointed.

@Dell-Alan Dhas suggested now that I get a service call set up and replace my SSD and motherboard. I am still unsure as to the reason for this. I can't picture in my mind this specific issue relating to either of these two things, but who knows...

22 Posts

June 4th, 2018 09:00

@TorTor

Indeed, let's.

I certainly don't expect my computers to run like brand new machines forever.. but I do expect at least 5 solid years of near flawless functionality out of each of my laptops... This one didn't even have a month of properly functioning usability. So far - quite disappointed. Will let you know how it goes with the service call that @Dell-Alan D will be setting up for me.

Cheers

12 Posts

June 4th, 2018 09:00

[That's just great - I just wrote my reply but it seems that it disappeared!!!]

As I was saying, thank you for posting this information!!! No wonder the thing isn't acting like it has an SSD. So that and the motherboard are faulty!!! These are pretty major components - the crux of our on-computer life. They basically want us to send these in to go through a critical surgery while keeping our existing warranties in tact and, as you said, letting them run out and then wipe their hands clean while we're stuck with $2000-machines that do not work. 

It sounds like they should recall all of these XPS models, but then we'd really be out of luck in terms of having a system in hand immediately. I certainly don't want the same computer returned to me after just six months of use and allowing the above to occur to their benefit. But, will they exchange this one for a new one that just has the same issues?

And how the heck do I go about finding a phone number by which to contact a supervisor, anyway? Perhaps @Dell-Alan D has a suggestion? I need this thing changed out quickly - I do not want a repaired six-month old computer; I want to receive what I ordered in the first place which should have a highly functional motherboard and perfectly running SSD - that will remain so forever! - from the get-go. I'm extremely upset about this as it has already cut into the time I would be spending working for my income, clearing this thing of my personal files was a one-day chore in and of itself and I haven't even finished this. I need a truly workable solution from my end - you all should just ship we two new computers that are fully functional per our purchasing expectations and then let us return these flops. 

Let's keep one another posted @bennymcl - hoping for the best of a terrible customer service situation. I will mention to @Dell-Alan D that I am a freelance writer and I just adore writing reviews and even posting full-blown articles that can be quite disparaging. This issue needs to be resolved to my satisfaction today.....

12 Posts

June 4th, 2018 14:00

This, my third attempt at responding to your message!....

I totally agree - five years minimum for the price of these things!!! I'm so disgusted right now - I notice that your contact @Dell-Alan D hasn't chimed in with any suggestions. At this point I feel like we've been had! They know that the problem is major and are doing nothing to accommodate our situations or respect the time that we are now forced to invest in correcting their problem. I'd be bending over backwards to correct these issues in a conciliatory and expedient manner. I am losing cash every moment that I'm not working, have no one in the company with whom I can speak, knowing that technical support only takes me to India and to techs who are not empowered to resolving this other than in the previous way stated: Fix a machine that is broken due to a fault of their own and return it while our warranties expire! 

I think I may contact the agency of consumer affairs about this and let them take over. I am very upset! Have you heard anything new from your end?

12 Posts

June 4th, 2018 14:00

I've just found this link: https://www.dell.com/support/orders/us/en/19/returns?c=us&l=en&s=dhs. Perhaps returning these is the route to go? I suppose we could then just take the cash and spend it elsewhere....

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

June 5th, 2018 04:00

Hi @TorTor, thanks for reaching out to me regarding the issues you are having similar to @bennymcl. Please allow me to address as many of your concerns that I can.

With regards to me not responding, when you posted the messages last night, it was outside of my shift times in the UK. My shift times and geographic location are in my signature.

As for the issue being something we are aware of, I really wish it was something as simple as that with an easy fix that I could easily roll out as that is helpful for everyone involved. As others have posted on this thread, there are a multiple failure points both hardware and software that need to be ruled out to determine what is causing throttling and performance issues. Each potential issue has to be looked into with troubleshooting carried out. The issue we have is that every system is different and steps that may have worked for Benny, may not necessarily work for you. We need to take each case on it's own terms and then troubleshoot accordingly.

In response to you needing immediate support and wanting to speak to a supervisor, we have plenty of support options available that can put you in touch with the right people - there is phone support, email, chat and on social media there is Facebook and Twitter. Here is our contact page for support

I shall send you a private message requesting your service tag so I look into your case history and see if there is anything further I can do to help you get a resolve.

I hope this information helps.

Alan

2 Posts

June 8th, 2018 16:00

You are not alone! I've had the same problem with mine and went through four long-duration tech calls each almost an hour long, multiple emails back and forth and finally (2 months later) they sent out a technician (local guy who was fantastic!) And he replaced the motherboard.I specifically asked him to check the thermal paste and make sure that it would not overheat. But I have the same problems anyhow.

Plus I got new ones like the infamous dancing cursor which decides to jump to a different place in the page when I'm in the middle of typing (grrrr), and a computer that heats up for no apparent reason with an incredibly loud fan even though thermals are low and battery usage is under 40%.

If I stream of video or charge it for more than an hour It gets so hot I end up having to put it in the refrigerator! this thing cost as much as a used car it should be able to function better than my 4-year-old Zen book .

Anyhow yet another rant wont help you out. So here's some tips and tricks I have found that have been helping 

-First of all change your power profile

-As a chrome user I know this one is tough but if at all possible use a different browser. For some reason chrome, Windows 10 and XPS 15 just don't like each other

- I don't game, but if you are and it's possible to go into airplane mode do that. I've discovered that a lot of my slowdown is from processes running in the background that are trying to do a pull Online

-And again as stupid as it is, some reason working on this computer when it is not plugged into the charger seems to be easier on the system.

Bill knows there's a problem with these systems. We know there is a problem with these systems.

However they can't do much other than their job which is to go through the tedious and long customer service handbook and troubleshoot, tell you to run system diagnostics, then eventually tell you to reinstall your OS and all the drivers and then you're going to have the same problem anyway. Not saying that's gonna be the issue with every machine, that I have seen so many of these posts saying the exact same thing with the same problems that honestly -  if you can save yourself the trouble and just try the troubleshooting tips instead.

Best of luck with that to you and to everyone else :-)

And if anyone has any other tips - please share them there always really helpful thanks!

22 Posts

June 10th, 2018 03:00

@tkucey

Hey man, thanks for your response. your experience doesn't give me much hope as @Dell-Alan Dhas requested the mobo, processor and RAM be replaced by the technician who is supposed to come, but if they didn't fix it for you... my hopes are not high.

When I play games, they are always online. flight mode isn't an option for me.

Yeah, I bought this computer to play games and do work.. so it's unfortunately that this expensive machine is just unbearably defective and it seems the problem is NOT just with my rig. You'd think they would ask for a recall of a few of these machines, find out exactly what the problem is, FIX IT and then do that for all the same rigs. It's clearly a common manufacturing problem that they are reluctant to call back due to cost, but... as of right, they just lost another 2 grand from me when I buy a new computer in a couple years (probably a year if they can't fix this POS haha)

12 Posts

June 30th, 2018 14:00

I am just reading this after just sending you a detailed message. I've never really participated in such forums previously so I'm a bit slow on the uptake here!!! I apologize for my hasty and unsupported conclusions, and look forward to getting caught up on what has been going on here with similar input.

Thank you in advance, Alan!!!

12 Posts

June 30th, 2018 15:00

Well, Benny, I'm back! What is new with this on your end? Much to my dismay, I lost track of this thread and have only just found it again.

I'm still stuck with the issues and am now being blamed for causing them. I totally thought they were trying to run my warranty down, too, but then they thought they'd discovered a way to place me in the seat of accountability. I'm horribly upset. I did end up sending the thing (which I once proudly look upon as if it were my child - such a bright future I once thought we would have!!!) to Texas - big mistake, but as you know, they claimed this was the only way the mechanical issues (already diagnosed as mechanical!) could be repaired.

Well, they told me that I had broken some inexact thing related to the power-cord not staying plugged in (the least of my worries). After much haranguing of me, they finally agreed to fix the other (far more dire) issues. (Oh - they even claimed that there was a scratch on my much-babied computer, of which there still isn't one, as a means of discrediting me to myself that I had broken whatever-they-couldn't-explain it-was!) It was returned unfixed.

After weeks of aimless this-and-that with tech "support" (and my freelancing work at a dead halt, for which I am now neck-deep in a marsh of financial sludge), they've returned to the power-cord problem!!! Now, they claim that I have spilled water (where on earth did these people over in India who've never laid eyes on my computer come to such a precise conclusion - water! - when those who had it in-hand couldn't make such a decisive conclusion, I wonder?!

They've shamelessly focused on the irrelevant i order to completely blow off the major. A $2500 (not $2000, as I'd previously stated) that's not worth a dime six months following it being "new". (I now wonder at even this because I saw elsewhere that one gal having the precisely same issues was offered a refurbished replacement!!!). I'm just sick. I cannot believe this. It is unfathomable.

I have contacted Alan separately and hope he will be of understanding and comprehending assistance. In addition, I hope to find some answers within this thread. Regardless, Dell is in breach of its warranty - which is effectively a contract with the consumer - and are totally negligent. There isn't a computer mechanic in the world who would reach the same nonsensical conclusions nor a court in the US, where Dell is DBA) that wouldn't find Dell at fault with repercussions far exceeding the cost of these computers and covering all court costs of the defendant(s - should it become a tort proceeding!). I'm just that upset at this point. Quid pro quo...

September 11th, 2018 16:00

Had Dell XPS 15 for about a year now and noticed this sluggish problem with every program around a week ago, no idea what brought it on. Read through some forums and thought it might have been an overheating or driver issue. Since I am not a computer guy, ended up taking it into the local shop and they fixed it by updating the BIOS. Apparently a new BIOS came out a couple weeks ago from the Dell website? For computer folks, hope this points you in a new direction. For non-computer folks, just take it in to your local computer shop and save yourself hours of trouble browsing forums and dealing with terrible dell costumer service.

5 Posts

September 12th, 2018 00:00

You can also try changing the WiFi card, some applications constantly perform traffic and because the WiFi card has issues it may may apparently slow down your laptop. It's not the CPU but the WiFi card. Intel has some cheap, compatible WiFi cards and they are easy to install.

September 30th, 2018 06:00

Hello.  one thing to double check from a hardware standpoint.  I ran into this with mine. I cracked open the computer and found that dell did not secure my heat sink at all to the board. they simply used the thermal past and no screws. so the only thing that was keeping the heat sink on was the thermal paste. Thankfully my system didn't burn up because the chipset has thermal protection. but what was happening was that my system was throttling down so it wouldn't overheat.  I called dell support and after quite a few unecessary trouble shooting steps with thier support team. (you have to go through the motions with the entry level staff) I finally convinced them that indeed my screws were missing to hold the heat sink on.  they finally agreed to send me a set of screws. I ordered some quality thermal paste and the system is running alot better now that it can cool itself properly. made a bid difference. Just something to double check you can remove the back cover and easily see if your heat sink is secure or not. 

1 Message

October 15th, 2018 13:00

I had this problem as well, for the mouse was slow, the page refresh wasn't fluid ...

I disabled the Nvidia graphic card and the computer worked much more better.

I think the problem comes from compatibility between the Nvidia and the chipset graphic card.

Someone tried this ?

No Events found!