Highlighted
2 Bronze

Dell XPS 15 9560 Incredibly slow with every program with fresh install AND shuts down intermittantly

Jump to solution

So I have had this computer for about a year. When I first bought it, I didn't really notice anything wrong, but about 2 months after I did, luckily, I was travelling when I first used it and after those 2 months, I was back on my desktop.

Now I am on my laptop again as I am travelling and it's painfully evident that there is something wrong with these computers.

I called Dell support and spend half my day reinstalling the OS and drivers to no available. All the tests read that there were no hardware issues and I have tried every solution I could find - nothing works.

Main Issue

Slow. Stupid slow. Unbearably slow. When I try to use any two programs at once. It's sluggish, laggy and feels like my computer is having a brain fart.

The main issues are when using Chrome (this seemed to kickstart it). But it comes back just as hard if I try to run any game like SC2, EVE Online, etc even on LOW settings (in terms of EVE). EVE's recommended specs are well below this computer and even when I run it in 1080p on the lowest settings possible, it's still laggy as **bleep**. (I should be able to run it on modestly high graphics even on 4k - it's a 1050 GTX Ti for crying out loud)

In addition, all of my web developing apps like PHP Storm, FileZilla, etc all take a hit. I can't switch efficiently between browser, command line, IDE and FTP because it delays for 2 - 3 seconds. It's immensely irritating.

Browsers

Firefox seems to have the best performance on this machine, but it's still laggy and stuttering. If there is ONE program trying to do something, FORGET IT, any other app I try to use (even browsing going from tab to tab) is SLOW because the computer is working on doing whatever it is on the other app (These are NOT 3D software apps - this laptop should be able to murder all of these apps at the same time with no issue).

Videos

Watching Twitch or Youtube from any browser also often gets stuttering in the sound and/or video. As someone who likes to have music videos or twitch on in the background while I work, this is more important to me than usual I guess. But again, this is NOT A BAD COMPUTER. This is the most expensive laptop I have owned and it is easily the worst performing one. Feeling utterly ripped off.

Insanity Setting In

It's driving me INSANE and I need help. Dell support has been unsurprisingly useless. This is my first and last Dell, I think. So utterly disappointed with the lack of useful support provided and by the fact that it seems I've paid over 2 grand for a web browser machine that does it worse than my phone.

If anyone has ANY ideas, I welcome them all. I'm at my wits end. As an owner of a very high end PC, I expect this laptop to at least be able to run my 4-6 web apps (including a browser) with NO issues.

I appreciate and any all help provided...

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Re: Dell XPS 15 9560 Incredibly slow with every program with fresh install AND s

Jump to solution

Hey,

I had the exact same problem. I found a tip to reconnect battery pack =

"The only thing which helped me: I took the laptop apart and disconnected the battery (Li-Ion accumulator) of the notebook wait a minute and connect again, and voila - it performs again!"

Worked like a charm.

Good luck!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
45 Replies
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Re: Dell XPS 15 9560 Incredibly slow with every program with

Jump to solution

bump... anyone?!

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi Benny, 

Thanks for reaching out to us. I have been reading your various posts across the multiple threads that you have been responding to.

As I understand the two main issues that you have are a general slowness to the machine and spontaneous shutdowns. Both of these issues could be hardware related or they could be software / driver / configuration related. 

First off, the spontaneous shutdown issue - from what I can gather when the system is under load the system shuts down from excessive heat. The system will automatically shut down once it reaches a certain temperature threshold in order to protect the system from overheating. This can be a result of failing cooling system, a fan not spinning correctly, or our latest thermal framework driver which has set the threshold too low resulting in the system shutting down after a short period. 

As others on the thread have suggested, revision A04 has a more robust thermal framework allowing the system to be cooled more effectively - do you still have shutdown problems after running the A04 revision thermal framework driver?

For the sluggish performance, this could be a combination of hardware and software. You have mentioned that the ePSA diagnostics pass and another agent had you reinstall the OS and the drivers. If you are still having problems after this point that could suggest that the drive is failing, however it's not at the point where the diagnostics recognise it as a failure. Slow performance could also be symptomatic of a processor fault. 

Whilst processor faults are incredibly rare, it's not something to rule out. I would recommend running Intel's processor diagnostics on the system to see if it picks up anything - you will want to run the 64 bit version of that on your system.

Should the hardware not return any errors, the drive may not be configured correctly. Without knowing your spec I can't yet tell if you have a Toshiba drive in the system. Can you private message me your tag so I can check your spec and then advise further on my last point.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 9am-4pm GMT
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Hi Alan

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I have updated the A04 driver (or rolled back, rather) and it has prevented the shutdown. That no longer seems to be an issue. I also rolled back the other driver that was mentioned on one of the posts. I can't recall exactly what it was, and I am not sure if it improved anything.

The issue I now have is what you read about performance. But I am really concerned that your support agents all either don't know certain things or suggest different things. For one, two of the agents I am talking to recommend changing the HDD / SSD which is, to be honest, stupid to me. I never mentioned any problems with the harddrive doing anything and I never mentioned it having slow access to the information. The programs themselves are slow and lagging. The fact they even recommended changing the harddrive worries me about the competency of Dell support as a whole...

I would tend to agree with you that, should it be hardware related, it would be the processor. However, the fact that a driver rollback sped it up and fixed the shutdown issue, also leads me to believe that there could be further drivers that you guys at Dell, are not considering. The fact that so many people have this issue along with me, is indicative of a software issue. Unless all of our hardware's are breaking in the exact same way? Which means we were sold faulty machines (with a faulty part inside).

With the specs this PC has, I should be able to have several programs open like a browser, and other less intensive apps along with EVE Online (running on high graphics). The whole purpose of me buying this expensive thing was to have as close to desktop experience as I could while travelling. I don't expect it to destroy games and still run 20 programs like my desktop does, but it should easily be able to do half of what my gaming PC can... at the moment, it can't even do a quarter of it and it's <Profanity removed> up my time to try and deal with support / find solutions on my own to try.

As for the logistics of replacing any hardware pieces, that will be difficult as the whole point of this laptop is to use while I'm travelling and I live in South Korea... so while I am travelling, I need it and cannot send it somewhere for a week... I could send it when I'm in Korea, but I'm not paying for that shipping to NA if that's where it has to go.

Apologies if I sound short, but when I spend this much money on a premium product, I expect it to work or, at the very least, have the company provide competent support.

I have private messaged you my info.

Highlighted
3 Cadmium

Jump to solution

The XPS is sluggish on purpose when on battery, for lower consumption. This may be modified in the power profile.

Antivirus programs may also choke the performance a lot.

The other common cause of sluggishness is overheating, often due to bad thermal paste between the heatsink and the CPU/GPU. You can monitor CPU and GPU temperatures and clock frequencies and fan speed using HWinfo64. Run a program that loads up the CPU heavily, for instance Prime95, for a couple of minutes. If you see the temperatures quickly rise near 100 degC and then the clock throttle down, you need a repaste. Similarly for the GPU, you can use Unigine Heaven test. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

@bennymcl wrote:

Hi Alan

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I have updated the A04 driver (or rolled back, rather) and it has prevented the shutdown. That no longer seems to be an issue. I also rolled back the other driver that was mentioned on one of the posts. I can't recall exactly what it was, and I am not sure if it improved anything.

The issue I now have is what you read about performance. But I am really concerned that your support agents all either don't know certain things or suggest different things. For one, two of the agents I am talking to recommend changing the HDD / SSD which is, to be honest, stupid to me. I never mentioned any problems with the harddrive doing anything and I never mentioned it having slow access to the information. The programs themselves are slow and lagging. The fact they even recommended changing the harddrive worries me about the competency of Dell support as a whole...

I would tend to agree with you that, should it be hardware related, it would be the processor. However, the fact that a driver rollback sped it up and fixed the shutdown issue, also leads me to believe that there could be further drivers that you guys at Dell, are not considering. The fact that so many people have this issue along with me, is indicative of a software issue. Unless all of our hardware's are breaking in the exact same way? Which means we were sold faulty machines (with a faulty part inside).

With the specs this PC has, I should be able to have several programs open like a browser, and other less intensive apps along with EVE Online (running on high graphics). The whole purpose of me buying this expensive thing was to have as close to desktop experience as I could while travelling. I don't expect it to destroy games and still run 20 programs like my desktop does, but it should easily be able to do half of what my gaming PC can... at the moment, it can't even do a quarter of it and it's <Profanity removed>

up my time to try and deal with support / find solutions on my own to try.

As for the logistics of replacing any hardware pieces, that will be difficult as the whole point of this laptop is to use while I'm travelling and I live in South Korea... so while I am travelling, I need it and cannot send it somewhere for a week... I could send it when I'm in Korea, but I'm not paying for that shipping to NA if that's where it has to go.

Apologies if I sound short, but when I spend this much money on a premium product, I expect it to work or, at the very least, have the company provide competent support.

I have private messaged you my info.

Hi Benny, 

Please try the steps in the following article and let me know if it changes the performance of the system - http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln307332/xps-9560-and-precision-5520-how-to-optimize-t...

One additional question that hasn't been touched on from the case notes, are you running the system on ac power and have the system on maximum performance when this is occurring?

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I will have a look at your solution and yes. Always on max performance (from what the computer is telling me) and always on AC

Edit: Actually no.. since the OS re-installation, it has been running on balanced. There is ONLY balanced as an option. Why would the low power and max power disappear after an OS re-installation?

Edit Edit: I ran the game and it seemed to be okay for 15 mins or so on high (after changing to max power settings). However, when I closed the game, the computer got sluggish again (more than before)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Additionally, I have decided to test with other games I used to run, but now have gone sluggish AND lag the system even after I close.

I was playing Total War: Warhammer on medium settings... medium. It's the next one up from lowest. And I was getting terrible FPS (below 30) when I used to be able to play it smoothly on high settings. Not only that, but the entire computer was lagging for 5-7 minutes after I closed out the game entirely and there were NO other apps running....

What am I supposed to do? (already tried your harddrive thing, it was already set to the settings in the guide)

EDIT: Even 10 minutes after I shut it down, sites like youtube are still stuttering and lagging... browser is the only thing I have open.......

Highlighted
3 Cadmium

Jump to solution

Edit: Actually no.. since the OS re-installation, it has been running on balanced. There is ONLY balanced as an option. Why would the low power and max power disappear after an OS re-installation?

Blame M$ for this one not Dell 😉 You can recreate them I believe. 

What to do? Have a look what's going on using HWinfo64 - open Sensors, plot some graphs of clocks and temperatures, check throttling flags and anything in red. Leave it running when you run programs and games, then see what happened. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hello, 

Could you check, in the task manager, the process that takes a lot of memory and cpu? This gives the track or search for the culprit.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

@bennymcl wrote:

Additionally, I have decided to test with other games I used to run, but now have gone sluggish AND lag the system even after I close.

I was playing Total War: Warhammer on medium settings... medium. It's the next one up from lowest. And I was getting terrible FPS (below 30) when I used to be able to play it smoothly on high settings. Not only that, but the entire computer was lagging for 5-7 minutes after I closed out the game entirely and there were NO other apps running....

What am I supposed to do? (already tried your harddrive thing, it was already set to the settings in the guide)

EDIT: Even 10 minutes after I shut it down, sites like youtube are still stuttering and lagging... browser is the only thing I have open.......

Hi @bennymcl

Thanks for trying the drive optimisation. As it hasn't resolved the issue then we need to determine what is causing the performance throttling, is it heat related or is it something else. As @Anonymous and @samos1111 have suggested, you could try running those applications to see if the cpu temperature is spiking and the system is being throttled to prevent it from shutting down and then check task manager to see what is using all the resources.

For the performance profiles, I would suggest installing Command | Power Manager from here and setting the system to maximum performance and then testing again.

Ultimately, I suspect a service call may be required to fix this but we need to rule out the above as you have already reinstalled the OS and drivers on the system.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

@AnonymousYes, I have been checking it and it goes up when I am playing or have a lot of apps open, but it's not maxed. Even after I have shut down everything (after TW Warhammer) and it's being laggy, the CPU, GPU and RAM is all low use like it should be..

@samos1111well I know when I run the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility, everything passes, but then when it's finished... I get the SAME lag that I got when I closed the games.. CPU 9%, RAM 35 .... So lost

During the tests, it was maxing around 90-92 degrees. very rarely hit 97 a couple times I think

@Dell-Alan DJust to summarize. EVE now works OK ... it's not 1050 levels good though, I'm afraid. And, whenever I close down a test or app or game that uses heavy resources, it lags the computer right after for like 10 minutes or more.

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

@Dell-Alan DIt's incredibly frustrating... what should I do? Seriously even when I run a game and RESTART the computer, it's still slow for a long period of time after. This is insane. Please help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

@bennymcl wrote:

@AnonymousYes, I have been checking it and it goes up when I am playing or have a lot of apps open, but it's not maxed. Even after I have shut down everything (after TW Warhammer) and it's being laggy, the CPU, GPU and RAM is all low use like it should be..

@samos1111well I know when I run the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility, everything passes, but then when it's finished... I get the SAME lag that I got when I closed the games.. CPU 9%, RAM 35 .... So lost

During the tests, it was maxing around 90-92 degrees. very rarely hit 97 a couple times I think

@Dell-Alan DJust to summarize. EVE now works OK ... it's not 1050 levels good though, I'm afraid. And, whenever I close down a test or app or game that uses heavy resources, it lags the computer right after for like 10 minutes or more.

@bennymcl Thanks for the info, I'll follow up via private message with regards to your service call details.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Totally!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

How I do know your pain. I see that others have posted, but I just wanted to quickly weigh in. 

Your issues totally mirror mine. I had better and more immediate "success" with Dell in that they didn't even bother to go through all of the riggamarole (sp) in terms of testing this and that; they knew immediately that this was a "mechanical" issue (thanks probably to your and other's complaints). I was instructed to box up the thing, send it to TX (they would send a pre-paid label) and they would have it repaired within 10-12 days.

I took a while because I obviously needed to get all of files off of here in a somewhat organized manner but took a second thought to the matter and decided I should contact the place of purchase to ensure that I was following all warranty requirements. I was connected to Dell and the guy almost sounded panicked that I hadn't already shipped it - there was a box to ship (which I'd specifically asked about and the guy had said, "no") waiting outside for me to do so and he emphasized that I needed to get it out to them immediately. This following his randomly evading my questions about exchanging  this only 6-month-old (first noticed probs at around 2 months) thing for a new one. Something has had me nervous - or heightened my awareness - because something just feels out of whack about this whole thing.

I need my computer to do my work from home. I think an exchange is not out-of-bounds - as you said, for a $2000 computer!!! This was not my first choice - I'd wanted the Precision with an SSD (which this also has but sure doesn't act like it does!) for graphic design - I'm no pro by any means, but I do know what I need from a system for it to be able to handle "me". 

I've been feeling this entire time - and this (among sure-to-be others) has decided that I need a refund or a totally different model, of which I cannot currently afford the disparity in price.

Point being: For any of you who are experiencing this issue or are thinking of purchasing for anything other than gaming (for which I cannot attest, but it certainly can't handle much more than that and that's supposedly the original purpose for this thing), the folks at Dell are clearly aware that there is an issue with this model and have not done anything about placing these machines into the hands of people who are willing to spend $2000 on, as the original poster said, an expensive browser.

Good luck - I was set on a Dell, even after my last one couldn't handle the Windows updates, but I'm totally rethinking this company.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

@TorTorwow. It is nice to hear someone who has exactly the same problems as me. It's CLEAR they are aware of the issue and this guy at Dell helping me is nice, but I am really worried that he's just trying to patch my **bleep** or whatever until the warranty runs out. As it stands, I am never buying Dell again after this. They don't really go above and beyond to keep my loyalty when something messed up. Frustrated and disappointed.

@Dell-Alan Dhas suggested now that I get a service call set up and replace my SSD and motherboard. I am still unsure as to the reason for this. I can't picture in my mind this specific issue relating to either of these two things, but who knows...

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

[That's just great - I just wrote my reply but it seems that it disappeared!!!]

As I was saying, thank you for posting this information!!! No wonder the thing isn't acting like it has an SSD. So that and the motherboard are faulty!!! These are pretty major components - the crux of our on-computer life. They basically want us to send these in to go through a critical surgery while keeping our existing warranties in tact and, as you said, letting them run out and then wipe their hands clean while we're stuck with $2000-machines that do not work. 

It sounds like they should recall all of these XPS models, but then we'd really be out of luck in terms of having a system in hand immediately. I certainly don't want the same computer returned to me after just six months of use and allowing the above to occur to their benefit. But, will they exchange this one for a new one that just has the same issues?

And how the heck do I go about finding a phone number by which to contact a supervisor, anyway? Perhaps @Dell-Alan D has a suggestion? I need this thing changed out quickly - I do not want a repaired six-month old computer; I want to receive what I ordered in the first place which should have a highly functional motherboard and perfectly running SSD - that will remain so forever! - from the get-go. I'm extremely upset about this as it has already cut into the time I would be spending working for my income, clearing this thing of my personal files was a one-day chore in and of itself and I haven't even finished this. I need a truly workable solution from my end - you all should just ship we two new computers that are fully functional per our purchasing expectations and then let us return these flops. 

Let's keep one another posted @bennymcl - hoping for the best of a terrible customer service situation. I will mention to @Dell-Alan D that I am a freelance writer and I just adore writing reviews and even posting full-blown articles that can be quite disparaging. This issue needs to be resolved to my satisfaction today.....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

@TorTor

Indeed, let's.

I certainly don't expect my computers to run like brand new machines forever.. but I do expect at least 5 solid years of near flawless functionality out of each of my laptops... This one didn't even have a month of properly functioning usability. So far - quite disappointed. Will let you know how it goes with the service call that @Dell-Alan D will be setting up for me.

Cheers

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

This, my third attempt at responding to your message!....

I totally agree - five years minimum for the price of these things!!! I'm so disgusted right now - I notice that your contact @Dell-Alan D hasn't chimed in with any suggestions. At this point I feel like we've been had! They know that the problem is major and are doing nothing to accommodate our situations or respect the time that we are now forced to invest in correcting their problem. I'd be bending over backwards to correct these issues in a conciliatory and expedient manner. I am losing cash every moment that I'm not working, have no one in the company with whom I can speak, knowing that technical support only takes me to India and to techs who are not empowered to resolving this other than in the previous way stated: Fix a machine that is broken due to a fault of their own and return it while our warranties expire! 

I think I may contact the agency of consumer affairs about this and let them take over. I am very upset! Have you heard anything new from your end?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I've just found this link: https://www.dell.com/support/orders/us/en/19/returns?c=us&l=en&s=dhs. Perhaps returning these is the route to go? I suppose we could then just take the cash and spend it elsewhere....

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi @TorTor, thanks for reaching out to me regarding the issues you are having similar to @bennymcl. Please allow me to address as many of your concerns that I can.

With regards to me not responding, when you posted the messages last night, it was outside of my shift times in the UK. My shift times and geographic location are in my signature.

As for the issue being something we are aware of, I really wish it was something as simple as that with an easy fix that I could easily roll out as that is helpful for everyone involved. As others have posted on this thread, there are a multiple failure points both hardware and software that need to be ruled out to determine what is causing throttling and performance issues. Each potential issue has to be looked into with troubleshooting carried out. The issue we have is that every system is different and steps that may have worked for Benny, may not necessarily work for you. We need to take each case on it's own terms and then troubleshoot accordingly.

In response to you needing immediate support and wanting to speak to a supervisor, we have plenty of support options available that can put you in touch with the right people - there is phone support, email, chat and on social media there is Facebook and Twitter. Here is our contact page for support

I shall send you a private message requesting your service tag so I look into your case history and see if there is anything further I can do to help you get a resolve.

I hope this information helps.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I am just reading this after just sending you a detailed message. I've never really participated in such forums previously so I'm a bit slow on the uptake here!!! I apologize for my hasty and unsupported conclusions, and look forward to getting caught up on what has been going on here with similar input.

Thank you in advance, Alan!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hello.  one thing to double check from a hardware standpoint.  I ran into this with mine. I cracked open the computer and found that dell did not secure my heat sink at all to the board. they simply used the thermal past and no screws. so the only thing that was keeping the heat sink on was the thermal paste. Thankfully my system didn't burn up because the chipset has thermal protection. but what was happening was that my system was throttling down so it wouldn't overheat.  I called dell support and after quite a few unecessary trouble shooting steps with thier support team. (you have to go through the motions with the entry level staff) I finally convinced them that indeed my screws were missing to hold the heat sink on.  they finally agreed to send me a set of screws. I ordered some quality thermal paste and the system is running alot better now that it can cool itself properly. made a bid difference. Just something to double check you can remove the back cover and easily see if your heat sink is secure or not. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Well, Benny, I'm back! What is new with this on your end? Much to my dismay, I lost track of this thread and have only just found it again.

I'm still stuck with the issues and am now being blamed for causing them. I totally thought they were trying to run my warranty down, too, but then they thought they'd discovered a way to place me in the seat of accountability. I'm horribly upset. I did end up sending the thing (which I once proudly look upon as if it were my child - such a bright future I once thought we would have!!!) to Texas - big mistake, but as you know, they claimed this was the only way the mechanical issues (already diagnosed as mechanical!) could be repaired.

Well, they told me that I had broken some inexact thing related to the power-cord not staying plugged in (the least of my worries). After much haranguing of me, they finally agreed to fix the other (far more dire) issues. (Oh - they even claimed that there was a scratch on my much-babied computer, of which there still isn't one, as a means of discrediting me to myself that I had broken whatever-they-couldn't-explain it-was!) It was returned unfixed.

After weeks of aimless this-and-that with tech "support" (and my freelancing work at a dead halt, for which I am now neck-deep in a marsh of financial sludge), they've returned to the power-cord problem!!! Now, they claim that I have spilled water (where on earth did these people over in India who've never laid eyes on my computer come to such a precise conclusion - water! - when those who had it in-hand couldn't make such a decisive conclusion, I wonder?!

They've shamelessly focused on the irrelevant i order to completely blow off the major. A $2500 (not $2000, as I'd previously stated) that's not worth a dime six months following it being "new". (I now wonder at even this because I saw elsewhere that one gal having the precisely same issues was offered a refurbished replacement!!!). I'm just sick. I cannot believe this. It is unfathomable.

I have contacted Alan separately and hope he will be of understanding and comprehending assistance. In addition, I hope to find some answers within this thread. Regardless, Dell is in breach of its warranty - which is effectively a contract with the consumer - and are totally negligent. There isn't a computer mechanic in the world who would reach the same nonsensical conclusions nor a court in the US, where Dell is DBA) that wouldn't find Dell at fault with repercussions far exceeding the cost of these computers and covering all court costs of the defendant(s - should it become a tort proceeding!). I'm just that upset at this point. Quid pro quo...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

You are not alone! I've had the same problem with mine and went through four long-duration tech calls each almost an hour long, multiple emails back and forth and finally (2 months later) they sent out a technician (local guy who was fantastic!) And he replaced the motherboard.I specifically asked him to check the thermal paste and make sure that it would not overheat. But I have the same problems anyhow.

Plus I got new ones like the infamous dancing cursor which decides to jump to a different place in the page when I'm in the middle of typing (grrrr), and a computer that heats up for no apparent reason with an incredibly loud fan even though thermals are low and battery usage is under 40%.

If I stream of video or charge it for more than an hour It gets so hot I end up having to put it in the refrigerator! this thing cost as much as a used car it should be able to function better than my 4-year-old Zen book .

Anyhow yet another rant wont help you out. So here's some tips and tricks I have found that have been helping 

-First of all change your power profile

-As a chrome user I know this one is tough but if at all possible use a different browser. For some reason chrome, Windows 10 and XPS 15 just don't like each other

- I don't game, but if you are and it's possible to go into airplane mode do that. I've discovered that a lot of my slowdown is from processes running in the background that are trying to do a pull Online

-And again as stupid as it is, some reason working on this computer when it is not plugged into the charger seems to be easier on the system.

Bill knows there's a problem with these systems. We know there is a problem with these systems.

However they can't do much other than their job which is to go through the tedious and long customer service handbook and troubleshoot, tell you to run system diagnostics, then eventually tell you to reinstall your OS and all the drivers and then you're going to have the same problem anyway. Not saying that's gonna be the issue with every machine, that I have seen so many of these posts saying the exact same thing with the same problems that honestly -  if you can save yourself the trouble and just try the troubleshooting tips instead.

Best of luck with that to you and to everyone else 🙂

And if anyone has any other tips - please share them there always really helpful thanks!

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

@tkucey

Hey man, thanks for your response. your experience doesn't give me much hope as @Dell-Alan Dhas requested the mobo, processor and RAM be replaced by the technician who is supposed to come, but if they didn't fix it for you... my hopes are not high.

When I play games, they are always online. flight mode isn't an option for me.

Yeah, I bought this computer to play games and do work.. so it's unfortunately that this expensive machine is just unbearably defective and it seems the problem is NOT just with my rig. You'd think they would ask for a recall of a few of these machines, find out exactly what the problem is, FIX IT and then do that for all the same rigs. It's clearly a common manufacturing problem that they are reluctant to call back due to cost, but... as of right, they just lost another 2 grand from me when I buy a new computer in a couple years (probably a year if they can't fix this POS haha)

Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Had Dell XPS 15 for about a year now and noticed this sluggish problem with every program around a week ago, no idea what brought it on. Read through some forums and thought it might have been an overheating or driver issue. Since I am not a computer guy, ended up taking it into the local shop and they fixed it by updating the BIOS. Apparently a new BIOS came out a couple weeks ago from the Dell website? For computer folks, hope this points you in a new direction. For non-computer folks, just take it in to your local computer shop and save yourself hours of trouble browsing forums and dealing with terrible dell costumer service.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

You can also try changing the WiFi card, some applications constantly perform traffic and because the WiFi card has issues it may may apparently slow down your laptop. It's not the CPU but the WiFi card. Intel has some cheap, compatible WiFi cards and they are easy to install.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I had this problem as well, for the mouse was slow, the page refresh wasn't fluid ...

I disabled the Nvidia graphic card and the computer worked much more better.

I think the problem comes from compatibility between the Nvidia and the chipset graphic card.

Someone tried this ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution
Hello everyone, I am having the exact same issues here, with the exact same GAME (EVE)! The computer sounds like it is under a major process load but I only have a browser and Eve on low settings open. And that's just one example! This is slow with everything! Even just using Chrome it lags, the mouse lags, if I have a headset or Discord on the audio lags, the headset drops, it produces horrendous glitch noises. I had a failure earlier in October and had to reinstall everything... I just bought it in May! With a personal recommendation from Dell employees in Austin! I'm also abroad in Thailand and won't return until just before my warranty expires! It sounds like the customer service here has been nightmarish. I'm thinking my best bet is to take it up with my friends working at Dell rather than go through the proper channels... (Go Longhorns) Until then I feel like I'm stuck here with this piece of junk! And I specifically came to Thailand with this laptop to do work specifically on this laptop! These whole three months are ruined! What else can I do! I bought one of the most expensive and capable laptops on the market - what a joke!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Ok allegedly this has something to do with the battery false flagging an error.

I ran the laptop with no power adapter until it ran out of battery and shut down, then keep hitting the power button until the light didn't even turn on. I went to eat dinner, came back, reset BIOS to factory defaults during start up, and it seemed to be working fine for a few minutes until the issue returned. This seems to be a known issue... I think one of the first troubleshooting tips here should be 'CHECK YOUR CPU SPEED', there are so many other red herrings but it seems like this is a common issue. Why isn't there   permanent and standard fix for this?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

@Fajiggles wrote:
Hello everyone, I am having the exact same issues here, with the exact same GAME (EVE)! The computer sounds like it is under a major process load but I only have a browser and Eve on low settings open. And that's just one example! This is slow with everything! Even just using Chrome it lags, the mouse lags, if I have a headset or Discord on the audio lags, the headset drops, it produces horrendous glitch noises. I had a failure earlier in October and had to reinstall everything... I just bought it in May! With a personal recommendation from Dell employees in Austin! I'm also abroad in Thailand and won't return until just before my warranty expires! It sounds like the customer service here has been nightmarish. I'm thinking my best bet is to take it up with my friends working at Dell rather than go through the proper channels... (Go Longhorns) Until then I feel like I'm stuck here with this piece of junk! And I specifically came to Thailand with this laptop to do work specifically on this laptop! These whole three months are ruined! What else can I do! I bought one of the most expensive and capable laptops on the market - what a joke!

@Fajiggles as per my previous responses to others on this thread, the performance issues can be caused by a multitude of things and the symptoms can be different for each user. That is the reason why there isn't a known issue with a standard fix. Also, what works for one user doesn't necessarily work for another.

You have mentioned that you get performance issues particularly with Eve. 

Do they problems only exist after you have run Eve and try to run other applications afterwards?
If you use the system for a few days without running Eve, do you still get performance issues?
Do you get any excessive heat or system throttling?
Are you running the maximum performance power plan and with the ac adaptor connected when this occurs?
When was the last time you did a clean install of the OS?

Does the system pass the ePSA diagnostics without issue? (To run the ePSA diagnostics, hold down the Fn key and power on the system)
Are you running the latest firmware on the hard drive?
Do you have the latest BIOS and drivers installed on the system?

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I feel compelled to respond to these recent posts. Little has occurred since I last “contributed” other than additional failures with my XPS: After three months of standing up for myself, repeatedly requesting that my case be escalated from the team of goof-ball techs I’d originally gotten stuck with, “someone” else at Dell (to whom I’d like to offer my most sincere gratitude!) intervened and quite suddenly I began to be treated with some respect and treated as a consumer with legitimate issues that were finally regarded as requiring resolution.

An onsite tech came by and replaced the motherboard and the power cord-to-computer part (the malfunction of which had initially been blamed on me and for said reason had totally halted the onsite repair people from fixing the thing initially, as in, would have prevented the three-month ordeal from occurring in the first place! (I hope that sentence makes more sense than what had occurred!)

Well, it wasn’t the motherboard that was the problem. XPS continued to overheat (purchased a cooling fan pad) and just fully malfunctional. I have always contended quite positively that there is a problem with the SSD, but this has never even been considered. I’ve continually ensured that all drivers and other updates have been current. I reloaded Windows even reset the thing to factory mode, etc., etc. (The “top-dogs” was ultimately “offered” me a refurbished same-model computer with no warranty, which I refused for the so obvious reasons.)

Needless to say, at this point I had become so deflated and felt so degraded and helpless, having had my own intelligence continually belittled – quite frankly, I felt that I’d been harassed by Dell-at-large with zero recourse given its horrific anti-consumer hidden contract, that I just kept putting off contacting Dell.

I finally did so in December, but for some strange reason, this particular tech claimed he was not receiving my emails. (I kept receiving emails stating that I must email them, though I’d replied to every one; ironically (?) my warranty was to run out in 2-3 weeks.) So, I purchased another year’s warranty (another $150) and am now getting what certainly appears to be authentic and intelligent tech service and assistance.

Postscript: I am writing this message from my HP notebook because the XPS touchpad has failed (onsite tech will fix soon). The audio also failed last summer, but I’d rather use headphones and external speakers (other additional expenditures) all of these months than deal with Dell’s techs. All other problems – diagnosed as mechanical, mind you, from the first day, by Dell – still exist, though I somehow maintain hope for ultimate resolution with the tech who, along with his supervisor, has taken this on.

This has been an ordeal. Perceived value vs. actual value with this “machine” are both nil. I believed in Dell’s superiority and purchased an expensive computer to perform my work. I’ll never recover from this year: The personal financial loss during months of down-time, the extended period of time it takes me to get that work done given the hellish performance; the additional expenditures to correct issues on my own without having to deal with Dell; the damage to my mental health, given all of the stress, anxiety and upset;… (And I am but one Dell customer. …)

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

What do you think I should do at this point? I will have a few weeks of warranty left on this PC when I return to the US in April. I also have some friends working at Dell HQ in Austin that might be able to escalate this faster (they helped my other friend with his XPS 15 before).

Should I just try to return it and get a different brand? This is so shocking to hear and strange to me. I felt like I was really investing in a trustworthy and powerful piece of hardware.

I am using Eve as an example because it was mentioned earlier and that game is 15 YEARS OLD and it can barely run on this but I'm having the issue with every application. It is universal.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Untitled.png

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the quick response. Let me shift my tone a bit here. First of all, the above screenshot is roughly the scenario I am describing, Eve is open, and the task manager clearly shows ~800 MHz CPU speed which is unacceptable for most things in 2019. I also have multiple resource monitor apps open to show temperatures.

But this is not just with Eve! It happens with many different things! Even just right clicking on the desktop can commence the 800 MHz throttling.

But - I did notice that there MIGHT be a correlation between plugging the AC adapter in and the throttled CPU. When I unplugged the AC the CPU speed quickly returned to 2.8 GHz. When plugged back in everything hung and it throttled again. I am not sure if this correlation is true or not. Is it possible the AC adapter can cause this? Is it failing? I tried running it again with just battery and it did throttle again after about 90 minutes. It seems like heat or power or something is messing this up.  The temperatures read normal but the unit itself certainly feels hot and the fans seem to constantly run quite fast, I don't remember if it was always this hot and loud though - I wasn't really paying attention.

I noted the previous user was in South Korea, I am in Thailand. The voltage is different from the USA, would that have an impact?

I just ran ePSA and all tests passed. 

Thanks,

Tyler

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I have done troubleshooting with the network adapter, the GPU, the processor, and now it seems like power may be the only remaining option.

Last week I downloaded and ran a process called XPS_15_9560_1.12.1 which I downloaded from the Dell website. I also did a clean install in October after the network card seemed to fail.

I have been abroad in Europe and Asia since May 2018 and haven't really noticed this issue until now. I will check your other suggestions and try those as well.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

@Fajiggles wrote:

Untitled.png

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the quick response. Let me shift my tone a bit here. First of all, the above screenshot is roughly the scenario I am describing, Eve is open, and the task manager clearly shows ~800 MHz CPU speed which is unacceptable for most things in 2019. I also have multiple resource monitor apps open to show temperatures.

But this is not just with Eve! It happens with many different things! Even just right clicking on the desktop can commence the 800 MHz throttling.

But - I did notice that there MIGHT be a correlation between plugging the AC adapter in and the throttled CPU. When I unplugged the AC the CPU speed quickly returned to 2.8 GHz. When plugged back in everything hung and it throttled again. I am not sure if this correlation is true or not. Is it possible the AC adapter can cause this? Is it failing? I tried running it again with just battery and it did throttle again after about 90 minutes. It seems like heat or power or something is messing this up.  The temperatures read normal but the unit itself certainly feels hot and the fans seem to constantly run quite fast, I don't remember if it was always this hot and loud though - I wasn't really paying attention.

I noted the previous user was in South Korea, I am in Thailand. The voltage is different from the USA, would that have an impact?

I just ran ePSA and all tests passed. 

Thanks,

Tyler

Hi Tyler, 

Thanks for the image and the information you have provided. As the temperatures showing there are relatively low, I don't believe the system is thermal throttling to protect itself, more power throttling. As the issue tends to happen with the ac connected that helps to support my theory.

I do find it strange that it throttles when the ac is connected as that is how the system should be running for maximum performance.

As per my last message, what power plan do you have the system set to when the ac adaptor is connected?
If you change between dynamic or maximum performance, does the system still power throttle?

Do you have the system set up with the nVidia control panel to always use the dedicated graphics card rather than switching between both?

Instead of running the latest Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework released in January, can you install the previous version a04 and let me know if the system still does the exact same  - https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=JTXD1&osCode=WT64A&produc...

With regards to support, system exchanges etc, there is no justifiable reason to exchange the system at this point without fully understanding the issue and making reasonable effort to resolve it. I'll drop you a private message to get your tag details and I can advise further.

Alan 

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Re: Dell XPS 15 9560 Incredibly slow with every program with fresh install AND shuts down intermittantly

Jump to solution

I have had the EXACT same problems with mine.  The premium support team which I pay for is useless!!!  I wish I could return this awful laptop.  No one from Dell has been of any help.  There is clearly something wrong.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Re: Dell XPS 15 9560 Incredibly slow with every program with fresh install AND shuts down intermittantly

Jump to solution

@mountkarma i'm sorry to hear of the issues you are experiencing with your XPS 9560. Can you advise when was the last time you raised a support ticket about the issue.

Can you also advise what troubleshooting you have carried out so far.

I'll drop you a private message to get your service tag details.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Re: Dell XPS 15 9560 Incredibly slow with every program with fresh install AND s

Jump to solution

exactly the same problem as u , with this <Profanity removed> xps 15 , u cant do 2 thing at same time , take forever to open up anything , the most expensive computer i own , and still using old phenom 2 10 years old , beat my laptop at any task .

but ya screen got a nice resolution . next time im just buying a screen ,

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Well it's been almost a year now and I'm back after receiving no effective support on this. I extended my warranty but still nothing. I've wasted my time with multiple "live support" sessions where they just uninstall my programs and defrag my hard drive which of course does nothing but piss me off. This is really my last plea to Dell to honor their brand before I'm done.

This is in the top 5 worst purchases I've made. The system operates at 10% capacity and this global brand is incapable of addressing it. Shameful 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

@Fajiggles i'm sorry to hear of your ongoing problem. I'll respond to your last private message and we can go from there.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Just to update everyone on the fix for this issue, it is still ongoing (happy one year anniversary). I have sent my laptop into Dell for repair, but they located physical damage to the top left corner of the palm rest and are returning it to me. We have agreed that I will replace the palm rest myself at my expense and then send it back to Dell again for the actual repair.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Just thought I would add my comments, having had my refurbished XPS 9560 for around 18 months. I noticed the lag almost straight away, with no software installed, just the bloatware from Dell. The issue was worse when connected to an external 4k screen (either by USB C or HDMI).

First I upgraded the memory to 32 GB, then updated the SSD (Samsung SSD 970 Pro), which seemed to improve things (though maybe this was a placebo). Today, I finally changed out the Wifi card from the Killer to an Intel AX200. That said, I'm still experiencing lags...

All the old tricks have been tried (though the intel drivers from Dell are only a few months old, so are they really still the issue). When downloading the Intel Extreme tuning the Turbo Power Max is set to 45 w, so it isn't that. I tried disabling C states in the BIOS, no change. Power mode is set to 100%, and am plugged in.

When there is a lag, I immediately open task manager, and I can see something flashing at 100% CPU (usually system interrupts). Today even edge started crashing for no apparent reason (annoyingly whilst writing this out).

Ideally what I would like to do is enable some sort of logging to try and pin this down to a process. Any suggestions. My newer XPS 9370 is much better in comparison, and I might have to start using that as my daily driver.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Hey,

I had the exact same problem. I found a tip to reconnect battery pack =

"The only thing which helped me: I took the laptop apart and disconnected the battery (Li-Ion accumulator) of the notebook wait a minute and connect again, and voila - it performs again!"

Worked like a charm.

Good luck!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos