Highlighted
xScrat
1 Copper

Re: Dell XPS 15 (9560) Random shutdown

I had the same issue as your. My dell XPS 1560 shutdowns randomly or when it was overheating.
The solution which work for me and some others was to downgrade the thermal framework driver to the A04

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/Dell-XPS-15-9560-Shuts-down-randomly/td-p/5712086/page/2
Omar Ziara
1 Nickel

want to confirm that the downgrade isn't for the bios. It's for the Thermal Driver.

I didn't get the shutdown since the downgrade (like 3 weeks has passed at least.) and I'm the creator of the above mentioned topic. 

Do it on your own risk. This is a work around that was suggested by one of the XPS owners and wasn't provided by Dell. (Dell still push the update to the latest Thermal driver like they don't know how problematic this driver is, and they don't mind if more people, who haven't yet upgraded, get into this problem.)

0 Kudos
paveethorn
1 Copper

It happens to me as well. Have you found any fix yet? When I started the Dota, my laptop randomly shutdown. It just happened recently.
0 Kudos
xScrat
1 Copper

Just install the oldest version of Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework from here.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=JTXD1

0 Kudos
ardacuc
1 Copper

I have both those problems with my xps15 9560 too, installing an older version of Intel thermal framework. (From before nov 2017) seems to have solved shutting down, but I couldnt find any solution with do youtube problem, can you notify me if you find a solution to that?

0 Kudos
Kaunas123
1 Nickel

downgrade:

Intel HD Graphics M1G66 WIN 22.20

0 Kudos
DavideBas
1 Copper

Hi, how do you solved that? My xps always turn off while playing games

0 Kudos
Marian P
1 Copper

After your system powers down, check your event viewer, windows logs, application. Sort by Source. See if there is a DPTF error entry like this:

Intel(R) Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework : ESIF(8.3.10207.5567) TYPE: INFO MODULE: ACTION FUNC: ActionSystemSet FILE: esif_uf_action_system.c LINE: 138 TIME: 599754 msSYSTEM_SHUTDOWN command received - temperature = 3732, trip point = 3732

As a workaround, here is what worked for me. I changed the Maximum Processor State from 100% to 98%, in the advanced settings in the power options. After that my XPS15 did not shut down under stress.

Dell replaced both fans and heat distribution box with heat sinks as a final solution. No more problems with max processor state 100%.

Hope the above helps someone.

0 Kudos
SusanaD
1 Copper

Can you please keep an eye on memory usage by visiting the task manager. Observe same for few times, you will come to know the exact reason for the same.

May be certified information storage and maintenance (E05-001) agent required to assist you query

0 Kudos
GavriiL
1 Copper

Hi Marian,

So did you have to send your laptop back to Dell for them "to replace both fans and heat distribution box with heat sinks"? How long did this process take?

Has anyone from DELL confirmed that this is a driver update issue which will either be fixed soon or that we shall revert back to a previous driver version as suggested here?

My 2 months old XPS15 (9560) automatically shut down yesterday 4 times while I was working a video on Premiere Pro. Not the best time for a straight on shut down without warning and loosing video progress every time.

Thank you

Gavriil

0 Kudos