Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 27th, 2018 04:00

XPS 15 9560, random shutdown

Hello,

Recently I bought Dell XPS 15 (9560) and where was not even one day, that I would not experience random shutdown of my laptop.

I have run integrated hardware scans and non of them found any problems.

I have also updated to latest version of drivers, but random shutdowns still appear.

For example if I launch Dota my computer shutdowns immediately..

Any suggestions what to do next, how to solve this problem?

respectfully,

new dell user 

2 Posts

February 16th, 2018 15:00

I had the same issue as your. My dell XPS 1560 shutdowns randomly or when it was overheating.
The solution which work for me and some others was to downgrade the thermal framework driver to the A04

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/Dell-XPS-15-9560-Shuts-down-randomly/td-p/5712086/page/2

7 Posts

February 9th, 2019 17:00

Right click on the Start button.

Slelect "Settings".

Select "Power & sleep" on the left hand side.

Click on "Additional power settings" under the Related settings on the right hand side.

Click on "Change plan settings" under the Choose or customize power plan.

Click on "Change advanced power settings".

Scroll down to "Processor power management". Expand it.

Expand "Maximum processor state".

Change 100 to 98. I do it for both, On battery and Plugged in.

There may be an easier way to get to it, but this is how I know to do it.

Good luck and let me know if it did the job.

3 Posts

January 27th, 2018 07:00

I've had this issue as well today. My laptop just shuts down within 20-25 minutes of playing FIFA 17. It shows a notification of shutting down and that's it.

I feel its an overheating issue.

14 Posts

So I am not alone with this kind of the problem..

Also I can say that sometimes I see green pixel in youtube video if I am watching at 1080 or 4k.. Not sure if this is related or not..

I would really like some feedback from Dell..

Same thing here since a few weeks... 

My laptop shut down for no reason, while I'm doing surf or taking note.
When it happens, the computer doesn't reboot by itself, I have to power on manually. There's no bluescreen, the computer just stops. It even happen when I just restarted the system, so no heavy application is running.

I recently upgraded all my drivers, run tests which passed ok.

Recently, my 9560 has some strange behaviors :/ my keyboard lags most of the time (impossible to type anything) randomly for 10 or 15 minutes, my screen sometimes blinks, the computer in standbye mode restarts itself in the middle of the night, producing some bips, fan overload, etc...

Just when I was replying, it happened again. Shutdown, black screen, poweroff. I had to restart the laptop manually.

@Akaash93 @Kaunas123

What's the version of your BIOS ? 

I'm still on the factory version (1.1.x if I'm not wrong) since the last update I attempted last year (1.2.4 or 1.3.x) led me to an unstable system (BSOD, random shutdown). I never tried an update again. Should I ?

January 27th, 2018 08:00

I read that downgrade is not possible anymore. It deters me from attempting a BIOS upgrade, if my system completely goes crazy after that and not possible to go back...

@Akaash93

On the topic you mentioned, it seems most of the cases have had their drivers recently upgraded.

It's also my case, I performed a complete upgrade last week, as well as the Win10 1709 (falls creator) update achieved with success (it has always failed so far). The system unstability started there for me. Only thing is that I don't need to launch heavy processes or application to have the problem, it happens 5 minutes after Windows log me in.

I'm going to perform a check on my CPU temperatures

14 Posts

Running on latest drivers updates.

BIOS 1.7.0 - I know that this update was removed, but I do not want to downgrade...

@Akaash93 I will check temperature and run tests. Will post my results soon.

14 Posts

@Akaash93

So I check the temperature and run heavy load test. 

On heavy load test it was like normal, no shut down. So I tried to open Dota and check then.

Please take a look to images:

temperatures
shut down..

January 27th, 2018 09:00

@Kaunas123

As I see on your second screenshot, your XPS shuts down like when you do a normal Windows shutdown ? 

Mine just poweroff electrically without any screen or warning...

What's your version of Windows ? (Windows > Execute > "winver")

14 Posts

January 27th, 2018 09:00

@DlafCreative 

Yes, my windows always shutdowns like this.

Windows 10 pro 1709 (OS Build 16299.192)

January 27th, 2018 10:00

@Kaunas123

You are on the 1709,  the last Falls Creator Update.

Do you know when it did this update, and if your issues started since that ? 

14 Posts

January 27th, 2018 11:00

@DlafCreative This is new laptop. I just bought it. Installed all possible updates and saw this problem. Laptop is like 2-3 weeks old almost from first day of use I see this behaviour..

No Events found!