Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 22nd, 2018 13:00

XPS 15 9560, Shuts down randomly

I have the Dell XPS 15 9560 and I've installed a new motherboard today. The laptop keeps shutting down randomly. Sometimes as soon as an intensive task starts (Unraring, opening 15 chrome tabs all at once, or any task that is demanding.) 

It shuts down sometimes after few mins and sometimes after seconds. The shutting down looks normal; I get "Shutting down..." screen and no errors or warnings.

Bios Version is 1.7.0 (even though the latest version on Dell's website is 1.6.2)

I've run Diagnostics (using F12 when the laptop starts) and all tests passed. 

Any advice?

1 Message

January 30th, 2018 04:00

Since a few days, it also happens to me when the CPU+GPU are overloaded.

I have installed the old Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework driver as indicated above. I have stress tested the GPU and CPU. So far, all looks fine. Thank you paperman199 !

Dell, please fix this ASAP ! Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework chipset driver is broken, version 8.3.10207.5567,A09 (last updated 24 january 2018) !

1 Message

January 30th, 2018 08:00

I install this old version of Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework driver and it works for me as well. Thanks!

1 Message

January 30th, 2018 12:00

Hello there.

First of all, sorry for my bad spelling.

I had the same issue as you do. I installed a update from Dell sunday afternoon. And from that moment when i started up different games (DOTA 2 and GTA5), my computer (also a Dell XPS 15 9560) showed the blue "shotting down"- screen, and then turned off. It did not do so immediately, but after a short period of time. 

MY SOLUTION! 

I then called Dell Support and talked with them. They gave me some different options for solving the problem. I did two things, not sure which one solved my headache. 

1. I downgraded my Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework driver, to the previous version. (This is the one i am the most certain was causing the problem)

2. I also downgraded my Intel HID Event Filter driver to the previous version. 

Now my pc works as it used to do, before i installed the update from dell. 

I hope this will help you guys. Peace out :)

1 Message

January 30th, 2018 13:00

I also have a Dell XPS 15 9560 which was running perfectly fine for the past 6 months under extremely heavy loads since I am a professional developer and I am using this for work. I used to run 2 different heavy emulators at the same time while having several software open as well with 0 problems - the laptop has been the best choice I ever did. 

However, after the latest windows update + bios update etc. from Dell, I have been experiencing BSOD and lately the above mentioned shutdown. At first I thought it might have been a random thing during extreme test but now it happens consistently under heavy load (eg. trying to run an emulator as described above, playing a game etc.). It seems it has to do with thermals + GPU involved. 

I hope Dell pushes a new fix in any kind of update, either BIOS or Software. 

1 Message

January 30th, 2018 14:00

I can verify the issue and the suggested fix (installing of) http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=JTXD1 actually works. I literally had to take my XPS 15 outdoors (it's now -7 degrees Celcius) to be able to install (downgrade) the driver.

You may easily verify the issue by installing AIDA64 https://www.aida64.com/downloads/latesta64xe and perform the Stability Test. Make sure GPU test is enabled. Your laptop will probably shut down instantly (or soon after) GPU2 kicks in.

As a side note, I have a dual boot also running Linux and it currently uses NVidia and does not have a similar issue (although it does have some other shutdown/sleep-related issues).

February 2nd, 2018 14:00

I also experience the same problem. I want to thank the ones that advised to downgrade the intel driver, i'm gonna try that and then run FF XV benchmark, which is GPU-heavy as **bleep**. I'll come back later to tell if it worked.

1 Message

February 3rd, 2018 05:00

I actually have THE EXACT same problem on the exact same device. Apparently downgrading to a working BIOS isn't allowed, so we'll just have to wait for dell to patch it.

5 Posts

February 3rd, 2018 14:00

I got exactly the same issue. 

I just updated the BIOS the day before yesterday and the random shutdown started yesterday.

I don't want to downgrade the BIOS though. Hope they can fix it ASAP, it's really frustrated for a gamer.

5 Posts

February 3rd, 2018 14:00

I just updated the BIOS the day before yesterday and the random shutdown started yesterday.

February 6th, 2018 23:00

Try install the oldest version of Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework. It's seem that actual version causes this issue. 

1 Message

February 7th, 2018 02:00

@Dmitry Avilov are you saying that  Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework's latest version causes the overheating and random shutdown? If so, please tell us to which version to downgrade and if said downgrade is safe. 

February 7th, 2018 04:00

I tried version 8.2.11000.2996, A04 (download link in my previous post). At first I uninstalled version 8.3.10207.5567 ,A09, and then installed version 8.2.11000.2996, A04. Now everything works fine.

5 Posts

February 8th, 2018 10:00

I also can confirm, that returning to the old one version of Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework helps.

Thanks for that solution. I've encountered with unexpected shutdowns last three weeks.

3 Posts

February 11th, 2018 06:00

I've been having the same issue! I did find a work around for it that doesn't involve software installs or downgrades.

Prop up the back of the XPS 15 about half an inch off the surface of the desk/table you're gaming on. Better airflow means it keeps the GPU and CPU cooler - which doesn't fix the issue where it's shutting down PRIOR to reaching critical temps, but it does keep things just cool enough to not break the erroneous threshold in the bad Intel Driver.

I can't promise this will work for you, and I don't know what will happen in the summer when heats up around here, but for now that extra half inch is working wonders. I can game for a few hours with no problems, where as if I put it flat on the surface it shuts down after about 40 to 90 minutes depending on the game.

I hope this helps a few of you. 

1 Message

February 19th, 2018 22:00

It worked perfectly, thanks
No Events found!