Highlighted
Omar Ziara
1 Nickel

Re: Dell XPS 15 9560 Shuts down randomly.

The solution worked for me. It's a downgrade of the Thermal management driver. I haven't experienced any problems since I've downgraded. I've been notified by dell about a newer driver and I've tried it twice, but I found out they are the same as old one (I had to memorize the bad driver version so I don't upgrade again.)

Yes, the laptop was shutting down even as soon as I open a game or even with opening few programs like Chrome with multiple tabs.

I've had shut downs as soon as I open Windows as I remember.

Now, I haven't gotten any unexplained shut down since the downgrade.

I'm really happy with my XPS now, but I would be grateful not to have all these problems in the first place.

0 Kudos
DeLL116
1 Nickel

Installing this works!

...it is not the oldest version though.  Scroll down to "Other Versions" on that page...there are older versions.

0 Kudos
Frank Withers
1 Copper

I am at a loss, and incredibly annoyed at Dell for this crippled machine. It worked great for the first 8 months, although suprisingly slower than the laptop it replaced.. at any rate. Now the  machine can't run 20 minutes without shutting down, usually in photoshop, although most recently it even happened during a file-upload. What?!? I was monitoring the temps the entire time, never getting above 85. I have undervolted the cpu, downgraded the thermal driver, and still this computer randomly shuts down on me and I lose my work. I ordered thermal pads for the VRMs, will try this before repasting the CPU. Never buying DELL again after this, so many headaches with this machine and it's costing me $$$$ 

0 Kudos
Frank Withers
1 Copper

I have now repasted the CPU, GPU, and installed thermal pads on the VRM. Even though the thermal performance has vastly improved (barely breaking 75 degrees under load), the computer will STILL randomly shut down during intensive tasks. Playing any games or working on large photoshop documents is impossible without the computer shutting down, even with the processor and GPU not being stressed. What the heck, DELL?!?!

The computer sits on a cooling pad and couldn't be better ventilated if I had tried. Whatever drivers came out and broke our machines, PLEASE FIX IT. It is crazy to me that this machine worked perfectly for 8 months and then suddenly became crippled and not a word from DELL about it. I parted with $2k for this and am counting on it for professional assignments. All I have now is a very sexy brick. 

0 Kudos
SeriousM
1 Copper

This solution worked for me! I ran the stability test before the downgrade and the laptop shut down almost instantly. Then I downgraded the drivers to 8.2.11000.2996, A04 (http://www.dell.com/support/home/at/de/atbsdt1/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=JTXD1), ran the stability test again and the laptop run for 15 minutes on very heavy load without issues.

Moriah.com.br
1 Copper

Thank you very much, my friend also worked, I believe it is a misreading of the new temperature control driver!

Portuguese:

Muito obrigado amigo, para mim também funcionou, creio ser uma leitura errônea do novo driver de controle da temperatura!

0 Kudos
besinger
1 Copper

Created my account here just to let you know: This also solved my problem!

@ Dell: You better add this issue (and the solution) to some kind of FAQ. Or better: just solve it. I dont expect such things to happen when buying a premium laptop (btw. never had such troubles with my mac back in the days :/)

0 Kudos
DCH3
1 Copper

"Yep getting the same problem when running any games - shutdown within 10-20 minutes. This could be a measure Dell has installed to limit damage to the graphics cards/motherboard, so they don't have to replace any equipment under warranty."

My thoughts exactly. Previous drivers allowed GPU and CPU maxed out with CPU temps exceeding 90C, now the drivers/thermal management softly shuts down Windows so Dell can avoid costly warranty repairs. This is unacceptable, especially given this is Dell's flagship laptop. 

Does this ring a bell anyone? Remember the backlash Apple received for limiting hardware resources on the iPhone 6 "to prolong battery life"?. Dell should receive the same backlash as there has been no fix for months now, which indicates to me that this is not a "bug", but a shady corporate strategy.   

Maybe I'm being a bit too conspiracy theorist about this. What do you guys think?  

0 Kudos
EugenD
1 Copper

Thanks you mate,  your solution just solved the problem.
Was wondering for all the other posts / ideas, when the solution is clear as water, poor thermal software (or incompatible) It was visible that the fault is caused by high temperature, it was just not visible is it caused by HW of SW component. Now things are crystal clear. Cheers!

0 Kudos
AndreJezGomes
1 Copper

Hi guys,

The solution works like a champ!
Two months, no problem!
Thank you all by the way,

But nevertheless i would like to know if anyone installed the new version of the driver?
I would like to know if Dell fixed the problem...
It makes me anxious to see the notification for a new version.
I'm a bit of a perfectionist and this is far from perfection to me xD

Thanks a bunch, i will be waiting for a repky
0 Kudos