13xuerebna1
1 Copper

Re: Dell XPS 15 9560 Shuts down randomly.

I had the same issue when I would play a game or exert my laptop too much.  This was until I opened up my laptop and cleaned out all the dust and fluff that was affecting my fans movement.  I don't know if it relates to everyone's issues, but it certainly worked for me.

0 Kudos
rgrz
1 Copper

I made up a case in my support area.

I got the advice to deinstall my "Intel thermal framework (hat A09 installed)" and to install "Intel thermal framework A04".

After that I made a burn in test with Furmark wich crashed my device before... and it seems to work.

CPU and GPU up to 100% (nearly) and seems to be stable.

Will test it with a game later on.

cljk
1 Copper

Seems to be fixed by downgrading to Intel Thermal Framework A04

https://www.dell.com/support/home/de/de/dedhs1/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=JTXD1

Ran some burn in tests and a game with high CPU/GPU usage and it works....

11v1
1 Nickel

The problem seems to be solved with latest Intel A09 driver + latest BIOS 1.10.1.

0 Kudos
Kennethkjaer
1 Copper

Also just updated BIOS and driver and it seems to work. Jesus.

0 Kudos
elvidgeg
1 Nickel

I had the same problem with my 13-7359. Please see if my fix helps you:

LAPTOP SHUTS DOWN

0 Kudos
jonandjeannie
1 Copper

I've been having this exact problem - random laptop shutdowns - and I think I have found the solution for my xps 15 9560.  I thought it was related to the new battery I installed, but it is not.  I found out with my laptop that it is directly related to the Intel Graphics 530 driver.

1. 2 weeks ago, my laptop just kept randomly shutting down - like the power was just cut completely.

2. I updated the bios, but didn't seem to do anything.  Still shutting down.

3. I upgraded the "intel thermal management framework driver" - a solution I found on Dell support threads, but didn't seem to do anything.  Still randomly shutting down.

4. Finally, I installed an old 2016 Intel Graphics 530 driver instead of the currently installed 2017 driver.  

Suddenly, no shutdowns at all.  For a week straight now, I have not had one shutdown and my xps 15 has been running like a dream - long battery life!

Here is why I know the graphics driver is the culprit.  This morning, I went to Windows Update and saw on the list that it was going to update my Intel Graphics 530 driver.  I kept Windows Update open and watched it download and then install - and I restarted to let it finish all the updates it was doing.

As soon as I restarted, my random shutdowns began again!  Every 2 minutes or so, my xps started to randomly shut down.  After the 3rd shutdown, I quickly restarted and went directly to 'device manager' as fast as I could to roll back the Intel Graphics 530 driver.

As soon as I rolled the driver back to the 2016 driver, my xps is once again, not shutting down and working like a dream.  

I hope this might help anyone else having problems with this issue.  Now I just have to see if I can get Windows update to stop automatically updating that driver!

0 Kudos
paperman199
1 Nickel

Just repeat for new peoples who still have problems with it!

@paperman199 wrote:

I found solution for me, just install the oldest version of Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework from here, and all problems has gone.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=JTXD1

droza
1 Nickel

The latest versions of the drivers have fixed this issue. No need to install old drivers anymore.

0 Kudos
RogerJP
1 Copper

Can you clarify which new drivers are now safe to use? The Intel Graphics driver? The Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework A09 driver?