Herryfs
1 Copper

Re: Dell XPS 15 9560 Shuts down randomly.

hi droza,

thanks for the info. I will try it later. So, after you install the old driver, everything works fine now? and you can use yours with a heavy work load?

One thing I noticed, when I tried to do stress test through support assist, this laptop just went off suddenly. 

So, do you think this issue is caused my software problem? I am just afraid, the my laptop has a hardware problems defects and etc.

I also wonder, do you (and also other xps 15 user here) experience an issue with their LCD screen? I often have this kind of pixel line on my LCD, and when I a pointed that line with the mouse pointer, that pixel line gone and back to normal. But, those pixel line often appear randomly at different places.

0 Kudos
droza
1 Nickel

Yeah, we all have the same problem. It's a driver issue, not hardware. With A04 installed, the CPU will correctly throttle to avoid hitting 100 degrees celsius. When it hits 100, it shuts down, which is what happens with the later drivers. Intel and Dell need to fix their drivers.

With A04, you can stress test the thing like crazy all you want and it won't shut down.

Sorry to hear about your screen issue. Hope it's just a matter of updating the drivers. Mine's okay.

0 Kudos
Herryfs
1 Copper

Okay, thank you for the information. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
markdj
1 Copper

It's amazing that even the very latest Intel thermal driver from May 2018 is causing the shutdowns and the one from 2016 is just fine. Why is it taking so long for Dell to figure this out?

0 Kudos
11v1
1 Nickel

I suppose because they do nothing! Did anydoby talk to support?

0 Kudos
Bug80
1 Nickel

I just discussed this with Dell Twitter support and they promised to pass it on to Product Engineering. Hopefully we will get updated drivers soon.

For now, downgrading to v8.2 (A04) solved any throttling issues for me as well.

0 Kudos
droza
1 Nickel

Thanks. I hope you sent them the link to this thread. It is about the most viewed and replied to thread in this whole XPS forum, so it is obviously a very common problem. It is surprising to me that Dell doesn't seem to monitor these forums.

0 Kudos
Bug80
1 Nickel

Yes, I included the link. Funny enough Twitter support mentioned there was no internal report of this issue yet. I hope there is now Smiley Wink

11v1
1 Nickel

Not funny. It's more sad to me.

0 Kudos
carylewis2015
1 Copper

First of all thanks to everyone who posted on this thread - I am experiencing this issue on my new xps 9560 trying to run x-plane.

What was strange for me was when I ran the prime5 test in extreme mode with a gpu stress tester, the machine didn't reach its Tj max - but with x-plane, it does everytime I launch the program and it is about to start rendering.

I will downgrade the thermal drivers to A04 to verify that this 'fixes' the thermal shutdown issue.

But, what I didn't see anywhere in this thread, is a mention of the fans not coming on fast enough.

I would think that once the temperature gets above 70C or 80C that the fans would come on full throttle, but they don't.

There doesn't seem to be anyway to force the fans on either - utilities like speedfan, etc. don't work on the 9560.

Does anyone know now to force the fans on? With the A04 driver, do the fans come on enough to cool the processor, so that the cpu doesn't throttle itself too badly?

It seems dumb that a brand new laptop can't be run at 100% cpu at full frequency - I mean what's the point of having a modern cpu if you can't actually use to its full potential?

0 Kudos