Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 27th, 2018 02:00

XPS 15 9560, black screen

When I installed the latest Intel HD Display Driver (version 23.20.16.4973 ,A06) the driver failed, stating error "Failed to initialize display driver". For a few minutes I was able to use the laptop via external monitor and the built in NVIDIA GPU, but also that failed after a period of time.

I did a factory reset on my Dell XPS 15 9560 (not via Windows function, via Dell recovery function).

Then I updated all drivers to the latest version. When windows tries to install the update 1803 the install routine fails, causing a black screen. When the black screen appears no process is beeing made further for the update process.

I did a restore to restore point before the Windows Update. Now the fan spins very fast and the laptop is causing a high temperature. In task manager the CPU load is at ~ 30%.

Any clue on how to resolve that?

6 Posts

June 1st, 2018 04:00

Same issue here on my XPS 15 9560... Clean Windows 10 install and black screen (with mouse arrow)... Newest drivers everywhere... It works when I deactivate the NVidia Graphics...

9 Posts

June 1st, 2018 06:00

Yep, I also mentioned that the new Nvidia driver is causing that problem. Then the intel driver won't load properly anymore.
I also mentioned that to Nvidia, but they are also ignoring me like Dell. Nice to have problems as a costumer and getting ignored...

June 2nd, 2018 12:00

I'm also having this problem.

June 6th, 2018 09:00

Have you resolved this problem yet? I am having similar issues and I need my laptop for work. Only way I was able to get it working is clean win10 pro install and right away I paused windows update. It seems that this issue is having something to do with windows update because everything worked fine untill microsoft released it.

June 6th, 2018 14:00

I'm having the same issue here.

Performed a Factory Recover using USB Recovery Media and run all the drivers and Windows updates.

XPS 15 9560 - i7-7700HQ - 16GB - 512 NVMe Samsung PM961 - 4K monitor

Windows 10 Home 1803

BIOS 1.9.4

Intel HD Graphics 630 23.20.16.4973

NVIDIA GTX 1050 24.21.13.9811

THE POWER CORD BEEN CONNECTED MATTERS!!! YES, IT IS VERY BIZARRE!!!

Scenario #1 - WITHOUT the power cord connected (battery only), I boot the system and Dell's bright logo pops on. Few seconds later, the Windows login screen is presented. Mouse works, keyboard works, screen looks great. Any of the three authentications methods works: typing Password, typing PIN or fingerprint reader. After 2-3 seconds, the desktop appears and 20 seconds later the laptop is ready. I can use it on battery power or reconnecting the power cord, it doesn’t matter anymore. The battery charges normally.

Scenario #2 - WITH the power cord connected (the original 14 months old that came in the box), everything goes the same until I authenticate. Sometimes I get a black screen where nothing works but the mouse with some “loading circle” on it. Some other times the “loading” after login freezes and nothing works. Sometimes the desktop pops and I can briefly do something, but it gets to the same black screen again.

I’ve verified the power options to see if there is a different setting between Battery or A/C Power and they are exactly the same.

Once Windows works after a crash, it shows a “Failed to initialize display driver” notification.

Have tried remove both Intel and NVIDIA drivers, didn´t work. Have tried to update them both to the latest version, didn’t work.

It’s very frustrating deal with this kind of issue in a $1600+ device that was supposed to deliver a premium experience, especially because it’s a recurrent problem with graphic card.

Once again, here I am spending my precious time troubleshooting my system and crawling thru support posts. I won’t recommend Dell’s XPS laptops anymore.

June 6th, 2018 15:00

I'm having the same issue here.

Performed a Factory Recover using USB Recovery Media and run all the drivers and Windows updates.

XPS 15 9560 - i7-7700HQ - 16GB - 512 NVMe Samsung PM961 - 4K monitor
Windows 10 Home 1803
BIOS 1.9.4
Intel HD Graphics 630 23.20.16.4973
NVIDIA GTX 1050 24.21.13.9811

THE POWER CORD BEEN CONNECTED MATTERS!!! YES, IT IS VERY BIZARRE!!!

Scenario #1 - WITHOUT the power cord connected (battery only), I boot the system and Dell's bright logo pops on. Few seconds later, the Windows login screen is presented. Mouse works, keyboard works, screen looks great. Any of the three authentications methods works: typing Password, typing PIN or fingerprint reader. After 2-3 seconds, the desktop appears and 20 seconds later the laptop is ready. I can use it on battery power or reconnecting the power cord, it doesn’t matter anymore. The battery charges normally.

Scenario #2 - WITH the power cord connected (the original 14 months old that came in the box), everything goes the same until I authenticate. Sometimes I get a black screen where nothing works but the mouse with some “loading circle” on it. Some other times the “loading” after login freezes and nothing works. Sometimes the desktop pops and I can briefly do something, but it gets to the same black screen again.

I’ve verified the power options to see if there is a different setting between Battery or A/C Power and they are exactly the same.

Once Windows works after a crash, it shows a “Failed to initialize display driver” notification.

Have tried remove both Intel and NVIDIA drivers, didn´t work. Have tried to update them both to the latest version, didn’t work.

It’s very frustrating deal with this kind of issue in a $1600+ device that was supposed to deliver a premium experience, especially because it’s a recurrent problem with graphic card.

Once again, here I am spending my precious time troubleshooting my system and crawling thru support posts. I won’t recommend Dell’s XPS laptops anymore.

June 7th, 2018 12:00

Well in my case power cord or battery does not make a difference. And yea I'm very disappointed in Dell support since I had numerous problems with this xps 15 (9650), (motherboard was changed atleast 2 times and software they make is awful, I had tons of bugs to resolve due to their buggy bios updates). Anyhow I will not buy another dell product nor I would recomment it to someone else.

1 Message

June 10th, 2018 14:00

Exactly the same, so frustrated. 

1 Message

June 12th, 2018 00:00

The same issue there. Still no answer from Dell?

June 12th, 2018 00:00

Nope.

1 Message

June 12th, 2018 16:00

I'm having the same issues. I discovered that if I use the USB C connector to an external monitor and then switch to secondary monitor only the machine works fine -- so far. But if I try to boot normally (plugged-in) using only the built-in screen, the display is black/blank. I can use the fingerprint auth., but see nothing. if I connect up my external monitor, I can then use the laptop.

I paid a lot of money for this laptop, as everyone else did. I need a resolution to this issue.

9 Posts

June 12th, 2018 21:00

Looks like Dell doesn't care about that problem. Nor does Nvidia or Microsoft, I wrote them all. Nvidia and Microsoft told I have to ask Dell.

So we are having a laptop which we cannot use when latest drivers are installed. And Dell plays "we can't hear you!"

June 13th, 2018 23:00

This is really frustrating, no help from the support side in my country too. Advice me to clean format and stop windows update. 

1 Message

June 15th, 2018 21:00

This is unacceptable. I lost my most recent data. I know that I should have made a backup, but xps is meant to be a reliable work station. Who would ever imagine this sort of critical failure? I know, I keep my nvidia drivers updated, but being punished like this? Also, “windows as a service” is pretty much a failure if it is not consistent at least in flagship workstations like this one...

for now, I’m installing all the new drivers (expect for thermal framework, which is bugged. Also remained unfixed) and keep the nvidia gpu one with the last retreived from dell support site. What are you going to do, Dell? Are you going to notify us when everything is fixed and we can keep our machines up to date? I guess not, since these two issues are not officially recognized.

i use this as personal laptop but think about who use this for work. This is unbelievable... Not the issue itself, but the lack of support.

No Events found!