Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 27th, 2018 02:00

XPS 15 9560, black screen

When I installed the latest Intel HD Display Driver (version 23.20.16.4973 ,A06) the driver failed, stating error "Failed to initialize display driver". For a few minutes I was able to use the laptop via external monitor and the built in NVIDIA GPU, but also that failed after a period of time.

I did a factory reset on my Dell XPS 15 9560 (not via Windows function, via Dell recovery function).

Then I updated all drivers to the latest version. When windows tries to install the update 1803 the install routine fails, causing a black screen. When the black screen appears no process is beeing made further for the update process.

I did a restore to restore point before the Windows Update. Now the fan spins very fast and the laptop is causing a high temperature. In task manager the CPU load is at ~ 30%.

Any clue on how to resolve that?

2 Posts

June 16th, 2018 21:00

OMG.

Thanks for the leg up.

Almost placed the order.

My kid uses a Macbook from 6 years back and no problem all. :Confused:

5 Posts

June 17th, 2018 05:00

I should have added...

As I was stuck on black screen, I first had to boot into Safe Mode and disable the Intel HD 630 in that.

Here's a list of ways to get to safe mode... https://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-10

You might be able to install the Hotfix in Safe Mode.  As I could use "normal" Windows after disabling the Intel Graphics, I did it in there, restarted, re-enabled Intel Graphics in Device Manager and restarted again.

5 Posts

June 17th, 2018 05:00

Hello!

I think I have had the same problem for over a week now, black screen sometimes with cursor and corrupted QR-code-like boxes.

I found a temporary solution, disabling Intel HD 630 Graphics.  Obviously not ideal.  Worth a try though if the following doesn't help.

I have fixed the problem, including after multiple restarts with or without mains power and with all update programs showing fully updated.

I installed NVidia Hotfix 398.18.  You can find it by searching for 398.18 Hotfix in the Support section of the NVidia website, or here... https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4678/kw/398.18%20hotfix

Click the link, follow the instructions.  Hope it helps others!

June 17th, 2018 11:00

Can you please explain how you booted into safe mode?  None of these options listed seem to work for me.

Of course, I never made a recovery usb. It seems like I never learn my lesson with these things...

5 Posts

June 17th, 2018 12:00

Hi ItzScience.  Only the bcdedit one worked for me (with recovery USB), so I can understand your problem.

I think you have two main options.  One would be to create a USB recovery stick with a different Windows 10 computer.  Alternatively, the interrupt boot process should work.  You would have to start your laptop, wait not very long (maybe just a couple of seconds), then hold the power button down until it powers off.  Repeat that twice more.  Then the fourth time, turn it on and let it boot.  It should then boot into the recovery and the page I shared explains how to get safe mode from that point.

In my experience, this can be a bit hit and miss.  You might need to try it a few times, get the pause time right or even do the power off a couple of extra times before trying.

Good luck!  (and if anyone else knows a better way, I'd like to know too)

June 17th, 2018 13:00

I managed to keep Windows open long enough to disable the Intel 630 driver. I then installed the Hotfix you posted and am in the process of creating a recovery USB as I type this. 

My question is, should I restore the system to a safe point (yesterday) before I installed the Dell update this morning? Or, should I just re-enable the Intel 630 driver after having installed the hotfix, and restart? I don't want to keep doing this...

Thanks for the quick reply, btw!

5 Posts

Hi. Don’t restore it. If you do, the problem will reoccur.

If it works as it did for me, you should be able to reenable the Intel graphics and any updates (in case you had disabled them) and it should keep working.

5 Posts

Worth adding, I created a restore point as soon as I was happy so that I could use it in the future if need be.

June 18th, 2018 10:00

I can confirm that the nvidia hotfix fixes the issue! no more black/freezing screen at bootup.

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4678/~/geforce-hotfix-driver-version-398.18

goodl luck!

June 18th, 2018 10:00

Same issue here. Gonna try the nvidia hotfix and report back!

June 20th, 2018 06:00

Great it worked ! Thank you so much ! :Smile:

1 Message

June 23rd, 2018 12:00

Hi there

I have the same issue of black screen after the WIndows April Update (1803).

I tried installing this hotfix before installing again the update but after installing it I had another time a black screen with only the arrow on my screen.

So I step back to the previous version (1709) which I installed 2 weeks ago with a clean installation.

How can I solve this issue? I own WIndows Home so mi XPS is downloading agani the 1803 update and I can't stop it. I simply can't work with my PC and I can't keep going back to 1709 version every week :/

1 Message

August 3rd, 2018 14:00

I have been experiencing the same issue recently. It started about 2 to 3 weeks ago. Sometimes the screen flickers, which is, as far as I can judge, down to the software (Windows 10?) rather than the hardware. My Windows 10 updates automatically. I have the latest Intel HD and Nvidia drivers installed. The black screen and subsequent turn-off, which doesn't seem like a proper shut-down, just happened a few minutes ago.

At first I thought it might be a virus etc. but neither Windows Defender nor Avast could find anything.

No Events found!