Start a Conversation

Unsolved

T

2 Posts

October 16th, 2018 09:00

Dell XPS 15 9570 4K screen?

New to PC side of things. Recently purchased the 9570 for Lightroom, Photoshop & Premiere work. I used a Spyer5Pro to calibrate the screen, and I feel as if the screen is off. The reds seem to be super saturated compared to my Mac. Has anyone had the same problem, also when I export the small thumbnails look super saturated and off, but when I look at them on a different screen them look fine?

Do you guys have a profile for this screen?

44 Posts

October 16th, 2018 15:00

It's one of the things nobody's talking about, and I really have no idea why!

The red color on this display is embarrassingly red!

Yet, I can't find any color profile anywhere to try to correct it, or at least to make it better than it is now. I'm not sure it's even possible to make it much better.

2 Posts

October 16th, 2018 18:00

This is the biggest problem I see with this computer, I don't want to have to get a second monitor. I might to sell it and just get a mac again.

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

October 16th, 2018 18:00

44 Posts

October 17th, 2018 02:00

There's nothing useful on that dpreview thread except the advice to buy a $200 color calibrator.

Actually, I just found the ICC profile on noteboocheck.net review of XPS 15 9570 with 4K display. But their unit had LG display, whereas mine has Sharp.

Here's the link for their ICC profile:
https://www.notebookcheck.net/uploads/tx_nbc2/FNVDR_LQ156D1.icm

Their review says that they didn't even manage to successfully color correct the display, because of high color saturation, even with their x-rite calibrator.

"We were much more surprised by the high color deviations, especially fully saturated colors show massive deviations. We also tested the other profiles, but the results did not change. 

Our calibration removes the slight color cast and the average grayscale deviation is reduced, but the massive color deviations are just slightly improved. This is a negative surprise for such a screen."

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

October 17th, 2018 05:00

That may tip the balance back to a Macbook - but bear in mind the last couple of generations of Macbook aren't your father's Macbook - they have some serious design flaws that lead to expensive failures ($700) of the keyboard and ($1K+) logic board - together with hard-soldered SSDs and tightly glued-in batteries.  You absolutely need Applecare on these -- or you may find yourself with a major repair bill after a year's time.

489 Posts

October 17th, 2018 07:00

Try to find someone proficient with display calibration to help you, it just might not work over a forum like this. 

I hope you understand about color-managed and non-CM programs, color profiles vs LUTs etc. The three Adobe programs are "kinda" CM, only PS fully - you need to look up what kind of CM each of them supports currently (Premiere Pro is upgrading).

I think the panel should be very decent for a laptop display. But there are reports of sample variation, and also of calibration problems. Find the Anandtech 9560 review for instance. I know some of these issues are related to glitches in the relation between the BIOS and the Intel HD video driver (color-related issues I've noticed with certain versions of these in the past). 

Dell PremierColor is meant to let you choose emulation color profiles for sRGB and some other output gamuts if program CM can't use the display profile (but not taking the sample variation into account). DPC is also known to have compatibility issues with most of the Win10 feature updates. You should definitely turn it off if you use other calibrator software; recent DPC versions enable calibration feature using one particular calibrator but I'm not aware of any success reports of this. 

Another known issue is that there is sample variation among calibrators too, and that older colorimeter type devices need calibration for newer wide-gamut display types. 

1 Message

March 28th, 2019 02:00

Just wondering if you have found a solution to this annoying problem?

Just transferred 3400 already edited raw photos from my previous 2017 MacBook pro. They look awful on my xps9570 4k..... they appear over saturated and the vibrance is way off. I didn't know if it was my mac at first but after reading a few reviews it seems like this is a big problem for photo editors. 

March 28th, 2019 07:00

Mac OS is fully color managed. Windows - no. XPS 9570 was color managed by Inel Drivers until bios 1.6.0. So if you want to see sRGB colors in Windows you need to downgrade to bios 1.5.0 and choose in Intel drivers setting for UHD 630 something like "precise colors". After doing that it is also possible to calibrate display to sRGB. All those saturated colors, not only red, are from wide-gamut 4K display. In desktop monitors there is often hardware sRGB mode, shich limits colors. Laptops does not have such mode.

May 23rd, 2019 10:00

Looks like there's a new Intel driver from Dell that has a slider to allow changing between 'natural' colors and 'vibrant'. Sadly it defaults to the max vibrancy but at least it can be adjusted down to natural - and Dell PremierColor works again if you want to set it that way

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=37n52&oscode=wt64a&productcode=xps-15-9570-laptop

66 Posts

July 3rd, 2019 02:00

It's just a palliative, when you move the cursor over natural the colors are too neutral !!. Does not work as "Precise Colors". I don't understand why they don't fix this thing in the BIOS anymore, a version is there before and the following ones don't! ??? Why don't they understand it?

35 Posts

July 3rd, 2019 03:00

Hi

in my opinion Dell or the drivers are not the problem. You have bought a laptop with a wide gamut display and now the people are wondering why they see wide gamut colours. Its like buying a Ferrari an wondering why it can drive so fast.

The real problem are the applications which are not able to do colour-management including Windows itself. The colours you see in many applications are designed sRGB in mind but if there is a wide-gamut-display in use which can only be profiled but not calibrated then the colours are oversaturated.

The switch "precise colours" was nice but it switched of AdobeRGB at all and the the people are wondering why they don't see anything of the great colours in Photoshop or Lightroom.

I mainly use Software which is CM aware like Firefox, Thunderbird, PhotoShop, Lightroom, XnView ... and i hope that CM will be normal in near future in general because wide gamut is no longer a niche. It's Microsofts todo.

You have to realize that calibrating is not possible on this display .... only profiling. And even if it would be possible to calibrate it to a specific smaller colourspace like sRGB you would loose the wide gamut capability.

Its the same on my external Display. It has a sRGB and AdobeRGB Mode. If i switch them i have to switch all the colour-management settings in Windows and all Applications too and therefore i leave it on AdobeRGB and live with the vivid colours in most Applications.

Bye
Marcus

• 

16.7K Posts

July 3rd, 2019 04:00

marjue,

Click my name and private message me the pc service tag number as well as your registered name, email address, and phone number.

February 21st, 2020 13:00

According to AIDA64, my 4K Touch screen says:

Monitor Name: Dell SHP14B9 Display [NoDB]

Monitor ID: SHP14B9

Manufacturer: N5V8C_LQ156D1

This is confusing but I am guessing this is a SHARP screen not LG as notebookreview states

No Events found!