schrodingist
1 Copper

Dell XPS 15 9570 Laptop HDMI not working

I got a new drawing tablet with a screen today, and have spent all day trying and failing to get it to function. The tablet has a USB connection, which functions, and an HDMI connection, which doesn't. I have narrowed down the issue to a problem with my computer's HDMI, because the tablet DOES function with other computers.

When I plug in the HDMI cable, my laptop does not even register that something has been plugged in. Nothing appears in the devices settings.

I do not know whether this is a hardware or software issue. I would like to exhaust software issues before getting hardware fixed. Notably, I have never had to use the HDMI port until now, so I don't know if it's EVER worked.

I have already made sure everything is plugged in correctly. I have already updated my graphics drivers: I have Intel UHD Graphics 630 and NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1050 Ti, and rebooted. I have already updated the BIOS and rebooted. I have looked into playback devices, and, even when disconnected and disabled devices are toggled visible, I find nothing relevant. I have also gone into graphics settings to change what graphics card the tablet driver uses -- neither worked.

I read on a different forum that a certain BIOS update some unknown amount of time ago rendered XPS 15 laptops unable to process HDMI in such a way that cannot be rolled back, and the solution is to replace the motherboard. This seems really extreme to me, and while I updated the BIOS a few months ago, I don't know if this is necessarily applicable. Regardless, I feel it's important to mention. I have had this laptop for a year now, and the warranty has already expired.

Thank you for your time.

0 Kudos