OsamaSBCrea
1 Copper

Dell XPS 17 (L701X) Screen glitching when the laptop is cooled

I have a Dell XPS L701X laptop which screen glitches with some pixels glitching or displaying chess-like squares or diagonal lines. This glitching happened for a short time (about 1 minute) after i turn the laptop on and it becomes stable after this period of time. Also after each glitching period, screen comes black and return to display which either to glitch again or to become stable, and NVIDIA control application tells me that:
"NVIDIA driver stopped responding and has recovered"

I installed the latest driver for NVIDIA GT445M and the problem still happens.
I noticed that when the laptop is cooled this problem happened, and after warming up the laptop body it becomes stable, so in winter the problem happened more than summer.

Any advice to solve?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Dell XPS 17 (L701X) Screen glitching when the laptop is cooled

OsamaSBCrea,

You can run the diags on the system to see if the video card is failing.

Also, a fresh install of Windows may resolve the issue if there are no issues found with the diags.

PSA+ Diagnostics

PSA+ Diagnostics

Dell includes a series of tests for a system's hardware into the BIOS called the PSA+ diagnostics. You can run these tests even if the system lacks any media (hard drive, CD drive, etc.). To launch the PSA+ diagnostics on this system, perform one of the following actions:

• Hold down the <Fn> key while pressing the power button.
  • Turn on the system, press <F12> at the initial Dell™ logo screen, and select Diagnostics from the boot menu.
  • Disconnect the AC power and remove the battery. While holding down the power button, insert the AC connector into the back of the system. The system then starts and the message Diagnostic boot selected displays. The system then launches the PSA+ diagnostics.

The version of PSA+ diagnostics on this system is text based, not GUI based. Because the text-based interface was chosen, all systems going forward will include the PSA+ diagnostics instead of reverting to the older PSA version. The GUI interface took too much room in the available BIOS space.

XPS L701x Drivers Downloads and Manuals

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, send us via a private message: Dell PC or Monitor Service Tag number
Out of Warranty Support
Where do I find my Dell PC Service Tag or Express service code?
Where do I post SA (SupportAssist) issue/questions?
0 Kudos
OsamaSBCrea
1 Copper

Thank you Mr. Jesse for replying, but i have already done PSA test and resulted with success for all parts.
Also I reintstalled windows two times after the problem occurred but nothing changed.

0 Kudos
ejn63
4 Ruthenium

If the system has never been opened up and been thoroughly cleaned out -- along with replacement of the thermal material between the heatsinks and CPU and GPU heat slugs -- that's a good next step.  If after that the problem continues, it sounds very much like a GPU that's headed on its way out -- this is, after all a 7-8 year old system at this point.  And while you can replace the mainboard (which is the only solution for a failing GPU), bear in mind that all the replacements will be used and of similar age to this system - meaning no way to know how long they'll last (most sellers give at best 90 days on used parts), so it might also be time to start scoping out the replacement-system market.  This one has long outlived its design life.

0 Kudos