Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 8th, 2019 08:00

XPS 13 9360, Not shutting down or sleeping properly

Hello,

My Dell XPS will not sleep or shut down properly - I have checked all drivers/updates and everything is up to date but I can't seem to get my laptop to sleep or shut down properly.  The only way I can turn it off it by pressing the power button for about 5 secs.  Please advise.  

BIOS Version: 2.10.0

31 Posts

August 5th, 2019 11:00

Hola,

I'm not sure why no one at Dell was competent enough to resolve this but after months of dealing with this issue combined with the computer clock constantly changing I decided to do more research and realized the CMOS battery was bad.  After I switched it out everything was back to normal and my laptop feels like new.  Hope this helps anyone struggling with the same issue.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

April 8th, 2019 08:00

Have you tried.

• Install official NVIDIA proprietary drivers
  • Edit /etc/default/grub 
sudo nano /etc/default/grub

make sure that the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX line has the following items:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="nouveau.blacklist=1 acpi_osi=! acpi_osi=\"Windows 2015\" acpi_backlight=vendor mem_sleep_default=deep"
  • update grub:
sudo update-grub
  • reboot
  • after computer has restarted, try suspending to see if it wakes up normally

31 Posts

April 8th, 2019 17:00

I don't follow what you're recommending 

I have Intel HD Graphics card

489 Posts

April 8th, 2019 23:00

I assume you're using Windows?

I had a similar issue with the 9550. Using the Event Log I found that it tried to wake up a couple hours after going to Sleep to automatically switch over to Hibernate, but work up instead (backpack hot!!!). Subsequently, it wouldn't want to Sleep/Hibernate/soft Shutdown, as you say. Hard Shutdown worked, until next occasion.

Workaround: set "Hibernate After" in advanced power profile settings to Never (0). Also reflash BIOS (can be same version), because this seems to reset something.

Mind this make time to battery dead shorter, because Sleep uses more power than Hibernate. For longer periods use Hibernate directly (but for me it isn't exactly 100% certain to wake up from it). 

31 Posts

April 9th, 2019 08:00

This sounds like a legitimate solution - I will give it a try and let you know if it worked

31 Posts

April 9th, 2019 09:00

@samos1111 I tried your recommended solution but it didn't work for me - I still have the same issue even after I adjusted the power settings and reflashing the bios

31 Posts

April 9th, 2019 10:00

@samos1111 How do I check which sleep version it's using?  

489 Posts

April 9th, 2019 10:00

Sorry, it might be an unrelated problem. Unfortunately, sleep etc issues are difficult to debug. Try checking Event Viewer / System log for suspicious events. You can also try debugging using the powercfg command options (in admin command prompt window).

Firstly, check out if your laptop is using old S3 sleep or new Modern Sleep / Connected Standby.

31 Posts

April 11th, 2019 15:00

I'm noticing the clock on my Dell XPS keeps malfunctioning too and I'm not sure why - to restore it I have to keep going to Adjust Time & Date -------> Turn Off "Set Time Automatically" --------> Turn it back on to reset it to current time.  

31 Posts

April 13th, 2019 18:00

Anyone have any more suggestions in regards to a resolution to this problem

31 Posts

April 16th, 2019 15:00

I just updated BIOS to 2.11 which was released yesterday for XPS but still experiencing same issue.  Anyone have suggestions b/c it's kind of annoying to have to reset the clock and also do hard shutdowns every time.  

9.4K Posts

April 17th, 2019 05:00

Hi jess2020,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

Please check for any hardware issues by running Dell SupportAssist, making note of any error messages encountered and post back.  If there are none, then it could indicate either a software or driver issue.

Try turning off Fast Startup by right clicking Start button to open Power Options>Additonal Power Settings>Choose what Power Buttons do>Change settings not available then uncheck Fast Startup, Save and Exit, restart PC, then try Shutdown. 

If you still require assistance and the system is under warranty, you may contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

If there is no warranty, then you could contact our Out of Warranty team to get a quote for a paid service request. 

1 Message

April 17th, 2019 22:00

I have really similar problem with Dell XPS 9360 13" 8th Gen i7. Originally problem was that laptop did not go to sleep properly. Laptop was very hot all the time and battery runned out quickly. Laptop is brand new. I got instruction from company IT to disable Connected Standby mode. After that laptop started to sleep properly, but now it does not wake up. It looks like that when laptop tries to exit sleep mode it does not manage to get display on properly (keyboard lights go on, but screen(s) stay black) and it would prevent waking up (but this is mainly quessing based on what is seems to be happening during wake-up). Only way to wake this laptop is power cycle via long power button press. @Anonymous: HOW IT IS POSSIBLE THAT BRAND NEW LAPTOP DOES NOT WORK? THESE ARE CLEARLY SOFTWARE PROBLEMS. From where I can install update which solves this bug?

31 Posts

April 18th, 2019 15:00

@robert p I tried that before but I will try it again - I don't think it would do anything b/c it was working fine before with Fast Startup on which is the default and recommended mode for XPS systems.  I also ran SupportAssist and it hasn't detected any issues

31 Posts

April 19th, 2019 14:00

The battery doesn't seem to be draining overnight anymore after unplugging from monitor and outlet.  There is some battery drain but it seems to be the same as if it was in sleep mode.  The start menu shut down and sleep still do not function properly.  The clock still has to be constantly reset.

No Events found!