Highlighted
D311B0y
1 Copper

Dell XPS 9560 Shutting Down after starting a game

System:

Less than 1 month old Dell XPS 9560 (32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, GTX 1050, 4k screen).

The Problem:

When I would start playing CSGO (Counter Strike Global Offensive) via Valve Steam the laptop would immediately go to blue screen with "Shutting Down". No other prompt/information provided. Unable to play game.

After days of research and troubleshooting I learned that this was caused by a system update (Dell Support / Dell Update). Prior to this update there was no issue and the game would run fine.

Solution:

Go to http://www.dell.com/support/home/uk/en/ukdhs1/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=jtxd1

And download older driver for Intel Dynamic "Platform and Thermal Framework"

You need: Version 8.2.11000.2996, A04

After installing this the game starts fine and fans start immediately (prior to this the fans would not start when the game starts, I suspect that is why the system would shut down, because CPU/GPU was auto-shutting-down to avoid overheating)

There are some other threads in the Dell Community about this, but I wanted to flag this as well to save someone else wasting days of worry and hassle like I did.

Dell, PLEASE communicate with your customers. I spent a small fortune on this top-of-the-range 9560 only to spend almost a week to figure out how to fix this. If there is no solution/no solution yet then at least please let us know to avoid customers worrying that their device is at fault. If a rollback of a driver is not the ideal solution but is a temporary solution let us know, please.

1 Reply
Kukuladisco
1 Copper

Re: Dell XPS 9560 Shutting Down after starting a game

Thanks, now working good, temperature on field of cover is 51 C.

crate of beer for You!

PS. Dell service wanted to change my motherboard and fans for refubrished...

0 Kudos