Highlighted

Dell XPS not detecting external monitor

My Dell XPS (15 inch 9570 model) laptop is not detecting LG external monitor via HDMI cable using Windows 10. I confirm the HDMI cable and the LG monitor are being detected and working fine when connected from Lenovo laptop. When I connect external monitor from XPS laptop via HDMI, the Windows display settings shows an yellow coloured message "did not detect another display display" (pic 1 attached). But advanced display settings show the option 'Display 2: LG Ultrawide'. Below that the display information section shows as Display 2: LG Ultrawide connected to Intel(R) UHD graphics 630 (pic 2 attached). I have updated the display drivers for Intel UHD graphics, but still the content is not being projected. Could anyone please help

Pic 1.jpg

Pic 2.jpg

0 Kudos
(1)
4 Replies
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Re: Dell XPS not detecting external monitor

Anything change when you press FN+F8?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Yes, when I press FN+F8 I get the project options. I forcefully selected the project option to second screen. The XPS screen goes blank for a second and then re appears again, nothing happens from the monitor side though.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
6 Indium

@Prasanth Eranki  The XPS 15 9570 has a known issue where the HDMI output can't work with DVI displays.  I doubt you're using DVI on the display, but I'm wondering if there might be something else going on with that output.  If you're not using the USB-C port for something else, as a workaround you could try to connect to your LG display using a USB-C to DisplayPort cable.  And just as a general tip, when asking for tech support assistance like this, it helps to provide technical detail.  In this case the exact display model you're using would be good to include, just in case it's relevant, since sometimes it can be.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Thank you for getting back to me. The monitor model is LG 29UM69G. I do not have USB C to USB C cable (3.1 Gen 2) to connect my XPS to monitor (monitor has USB C port). I ordered one and it's on the way I will test it soon. I am a little reluctant to use any other adapters that involve HDMI (like HDMI to display port) because they native HDMI to HDMI is not working so I doubt other HDMI adapters would work. I am more interested to try out USB C. however it is very frustrating to see such an expensive laptop not working with HDMI connectivity out of the box. My 10-year-old Lenovo doesn't have any issues and it connected right away. 

0 Kudos