Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 13th, 2018 09:00

Dell XPS15 9560

On my DELL, XPS15 9560,  the Intel HD Graphics 630 is the primary graphics card. I use AutoCAD Architecture 2017, and I get a Notification that states, "You can improve graphics performance by turning Hardware Acceleration on." But, when I click on Graphics Performance, Hardware Acceleration doesn't let me turn this ON.

My computer also shows it has the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050. Would I need to somehow use the NVIDIA graphics card as the primary graphics card? If so, how would I select the NVIDIA as the primary?

I've attached two pics. One showing the Notification and the other showing the graphics cards in the DELL.

Capture1.JPGCapture2.JPG

Thanks for your help,

Ryan

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

The answer is no - you cannot use the nVidia GPU as primary.  It is a co-processor - it CAN be set to run AutoCAD, but even data sent through the nVidia GPU is delivered to the screen by the Intel GPU -- only the Intel GPU has a physical connection to the screen.

This system does not have a true, discrete GPU - for that you'd need to move to a Precision mobile workstation, or an Alienware gaming system.  This is a software-controlled hybrid video notebook.

You may want to check with Autodesk for their take on whether or not  you can use hardware acceleration with a muxless hybrid system -- a quick look at their documentation suggests you cannot -- that you would need to disable the Intel GPU to do so (which on this model you cannot do).

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

I also wonder if AutoCAD would support hardware acceleration on regular GeForce cards rather than the pro-oriented Quadro line even if the GeForce card were a completely independent graphics card, which as ejn63 explained, it isn't.  But if AutoCAD would in fact support a "regular" GeForce card, I do wonder why it can't do so here.  After all, games can tap into the GeForce's rendering capabilities, and I don't think AutoCAD requires any features that require the dGPU to be directly wired to display outputs, like stereo 3D, VR, G-Sync, etc.

I agree that talking to Autodesk about this is the best way forward, specifically asking about whether Quadro is required, and if not, why this particular GeForce design can't be used.

One other thing you can try is that if you create a desktop shortcut to Autodesk, the right-click menu should have an option that says "Run on graphics processor" where you can force the GeForce GPU to try to run.  It's a long shot, but worth a try.

1 Message

June 1st, 2020 02:00

I too am experiencing this problem but wasn't when I first bought my pc and now suddenly this has started to happen. It renders the program almost unusable which makes my computer totally useless to me. I recently installed the latest version of AutoCAD to see if it would change this problem but it doesn't.

No Events found!