Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 26th, 2021 07:00

Dell XPX 15 7590 cannot upgrade windows 10 to 20H2 (and 20H1) Failed at 10% and undid changes

Hi,

I have Dell XPX 15 7590 that is stuck on Windows 10 version 1909 since 13/09/2019 and has not been able to to install updates ever since.

I do not know if it is related but a few months ago I randomly was prompted for the bit locker key when I turned on the system.  I have no idea how or why this happened. I did not even know I had bitlocker up to that point. I can only assume it was something to do with the dell support assistant or the dell update app that caused it.

I have tried extensively to troubleshoot, tried DSIM, SFC and CHKDSK to check for corruption and errors, searched the internet for a solution and no matter what I have tried the windows 10 update 20H2 fails to install at 10% and undoes changes and stay at version 1909.

I have tried to update the system via windows updates and via the MS media creation tool.

The media creation tool shows this error when back in windows after each failed attempt:

**************************************************************************************************************

0x8000700A1 - 0x20007

The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during INSTALL_DRIVERS operation.

**************************************************************************************************************

Version 1909 is now end of life and I can't upgrade the system.

I checked the Windows Update client event log (Microsoft-Windows-WindowsUpdateClient/Operational) after the last failed attempt and see these flowing errors:

Windows Update failed to download an update:

EventData
    updateTitle Intel Corporation - SCSIAdapter - 17.9.6.1019
    errorCode 0x80246019

Windows Update failed to download an update:

EventData
    updateTitle STMicroelectronics - System - 2.2.7.3
    errorCode

0x80246019

I am at the end of my tether with this. 

Hoping there is a way to fix this without having to a clean install on Windows 10.

Please advise!

380 Posts

June 15th, 2021 05:00

OK upon further review, these are the two drivers in question:

1. The "Intel Corporation - SCSIAdapter" refers to Intel's Rapid Storage Technology driver otherwise know as "RST". The version listed (17.9.6.1019), is the latest from Dell (released about a month ago), but it is not the latest from Intel. I would suggest that you download and install Intel's Driver and Support Assistant from here (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html) and see if it gives you a better one.

2. The second driver is the "STMicroelectronics Free Fall Data Protection driver". The version listed is 2.2.7.3. The latest version on the Dell Update site for your system is 4.10.105, A01 which appears to be way newer than your current version which leads me to wonder what Dell is doing here. How can the number jump so much? So you can try downloading and installing that.

NOTE: Before you do any updates it is highly recommended that you back up your entire system.. You can use the free version of Macrium Reflect to do this. Also create a Macrium  "Rescue Media" in case your system has a serious problem.

JohnD

1 Message

June 14th, 2021 12:00

any solution with this?

380 Posts

June 15th, 2021 02:00

You obviously have two driver issues. Check to see what devices these errors are referring to. Did you see if there are any updated drivers for these devices? If not, you might want to read through this post in the Windows Support Forum for a possible answer to one of the drivers.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-2004-fails-with-0x800700a1/a0df48a9-3614-42af-a7e6-6b1222ef6fde?auth=1

JohnD

5 Posts

June 15th, 2021 15:00

Thanks so much for this. I will try an update the drivers as suggested and let those watching this post know if I am then able to install the Windows update.

BTW - I have the Dell Update application on my system and regulatory check for updated drivers and those you mentioned have never shown up.

380 Posts

June 15th, 2021 19:00

The driver you have for Intel's RST is what is on the Dell update site. If not from Dell I am not sure where you might have gotten it except possibly through Windows Update which is not the best place to be getting driver updates.

Good luck.

5 Posts

June 19th, 2021 02:00

Thanks so much for you help with this.

I followed your advice and now finally have updated to Windows 20H1.

It definitely was due to the the outdated drivers.

I updated all Dell drivers for my system via Dells update assistant: (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html)

Updated the STM driver (however I think I may have installed the wrong STM driver somehow as it wasn't being recognised in device manager before I attempted to update to window again. I went ahead with the  windows update anyway and it showed up in device manager again after the update.)

(NOTE: To anyone reading this. Windows 10 version 1909 was no longer showing the 20H1 updates (it had already failed to install Windows 20H1 several times so I used the Windows 10 Update Assistant tool found online.)

I was dreading have to do a clean install and reinstall all my apps and current configurations.

Thanks again.

380 Posts

June 19th, 2021 14:00

Nice work. Glad I could help. You did a good job of finding what the update was complaining about. It would be nice of the updates would tell you directly what it does not like rather than you having to dig around to find it.

Good luck,

JohnD

6 Posts

June 29th, 2021 12:00

Intel's site strongly recommends for users to use their manufacturerer's version of RST because of customizations of the application. If Dell doesn't have one or it doesn't work, oh well. I'm taking Intel's advice over yours! 

5 Posts

June 30th, 2021 01:00

Typo in my last post.

I updated all Dell drivers for my system via **Intels** update assistant:

2 Posts

August 15th, 2021 21:00

Thank goodness that intel provides the support that dells update assistant was supposed to be able to provide.

No Events found!