Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 26th, 2018 18:00

Dell xps 13 9350 and Samsung 970 evo M.2 nvme Compatability?

Does anyone know if the Dell xps 13 9350 model is compatible with the 970 evo nvme drives samsung released recently? 

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

June 26th, 2018 18:00

I've personally used a Samsung 960 Evo in an XPS 13 9350 and it worked fine, so I can't imagine the 970 Evo being any different in terms of compatibility.  However, be aware that although the XPS 13 9350 uses a PCIe x4 configuration for its NVMe interface, the lanes are run in power saving mode, not max performance mode, and this cannot be changed by the user.  4 lanes in power saving mode is roughly equivalent to 2 lanes in max performance mode, so the result is that your sequential read and write speeds will max out at 1.8 GB/s, even though the 970 Evo can do much more than that.  I personally would still get the 970 Evo since I'm a fan of Samsung SSDs in general, but I just wanted let you know about that in case you weren't aware and might otherwise wonder why your benchmark figures didn't correspond to what you may have seen in reviews of the 970 Evo.

6 Posts

September 29th, 2018 08:00

Hi

i have an XPS13 and I installed a 960pro 1To on the day I got it.

I bought a 970evo 2 To and desperately tried to have it working but while the cloning works (970 in an nvme case un usb), impossible to boot afterwards. I suspect a compatibility issue. 

6 Posts

September 29th, 2018 09:00

Forgot to mention my XPS13 is a 9360

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

September 29th, 2018 11:00

@jvinant wrote:

Hi

i have an XPS13 and I installed a 960pro 1To on the day I got it.

I bought a 970evo 2 To and desperately tried to have it working but while the cloning works (970 in an nvme case un usb), impossible to boot afterwards. I suspect a compatibility issue. 

What "NVMe case in USB" do you have?  The only NVMe enclosures I'm aware of use Thunderbolt, and they're very expensive, and the only M.2 to USB adapters I've seen only support M.2 SATA SSDs, not M.2 NVMe SSDs.  But the 970 Evo works fine in the XPS 13 9360.  If you haven't already, install the 970 internally and see if it's detected in the BIOS summary.  If so, see if you can perform a clean install of Windows onto it.  If that works, then it's something about your cloning routine.  Sometimes getting a cloned instance to boot can be tricky especially on UEFI systems.  That's why some cloning tools like Macrium Reflect have a "Fix Boot Problems" routine that you can run after performing clones or image restores.

1 Message

November 14th, 2018 18:00

Not as far as I can determine. I have a 9350 and installed the 970 EVO. However, AFAIK, the BIOS (ver 1.9.0) does not recognize the drive. So, booting off of a Windows 10 Home USB and trying to install Win10 64-bit ends up with a stop code of 0xc000021a. As with many Windows stop codes, this is not very helpful in determining the problem. My best guess, and this is only a guess, is that Windows can’t write to the drive. Perhaps there is a way of configuring the BIOS? Any assistance from someone who has a 9350 and 970 EVO that works would be appreciated. Otherwise, perhaps a 960 EVO will work?

1 Message

January 11th, 2019 03:00

the other day, i replaced the 256 pcie ssd in my dell xps 9350 with a samsung 970 evo. when i turned the computer on, the BIOS did a hardware check, which passed, and then informed me that i didn't have any bootable drives. that was true because i hadn't copied my OS to the drive! AHCI mode is recommended for samsung nvme drives, but my BIOS was already set for that so i didn't change anything. i then booted and installed windows 10 from a USB drive. i've had no problems as yet, the 970 evo is working perfectly. it seems a bit faster, despite using only two pcie lanes, and it's nice to have 1TB of space. eventually i'll upgrade to a laptop with 4 pcie lanes and swap the drive into that. if you don't plan to move the drive to another computer eventually, then it would be a little cheaper to buy mydigitalssd sbx nvme ssd, which uses only 2 pcie lanes.

1 Message

November 13th, 2019 06:00

I've already replaced pcie 256 GB with Samsung 970 EVO M.2 nvme 1TB, and I have got a blue screen after installation with error: BAD_POOL_CALLER.

Have you got some ideas how to solve this problem?

1 Message

January 4th, 2020 04:00

can you make crystaldiskinfo test ? i have 9360 I7-7500u and want make some tunning

1 Message

January 14th, 2020 03:00

I've just installed a 970 into an XPS 9350, and it did show in the BIOS.

When I booted up a Windows 10 USB drive, it did not find the disk.

I ended up going down the old school route of downloading the driver via another machine, and searching for the drive.

This did the trick, and now the machine is working happily.

I would say that it would probably be worth getting hold of the latest boot media for this, as the one I was using was quite old (I needed a ton of updates!)

15 Posts

February 23rd, 2020 18:00

@Chris Head  Thanks for the update. I have been holding off installing a new ssd in my XPS13 9350 due to the reported problems with this 970 drive. 

when you said you searched for the drivers and manually installed them, you lost me. I am assuming you copied them to the boot USB. Where did you copy them on the USB drive? Or did they have an .exe that installed it?

thanks, Tim

No Events found!