Start a Conversation

Unsolved

WA

3 Posts

October 29th, 2018 00:00

Dell xps 15 9560 Power throttling

I have a 4k monitor, 512 GB SSD. 16GB ram, the drivers are completely upto date and i seem to be having a power limit throttling. After working on photoshop or autocad for one hour the cpu speed drops to 0.8ghz and gets locked and becomes hard to use. I have tried uninstalling IDPT and undervolting which had only very little improvement. I even had my laptop sent to dell to solve this issue but they just reinstalled my OS and gave the laptop back to me. A very disappointing move by dell. i've had this problem for a long time even after that and after hours of searching through online forums and youtube videos i just figured out it was power throttle and i could see huge difference while working on softwares while its not throttling. It would be really helpfull if anyone could help me. Thank you, Akaz

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

October 29th, 2018 03:00

You need a system suitable to that workload - i.e., a  mobile workstation.  This XPS system is not that.

October 29th, 2018 06:00

With all due respect, these softwares used to run better, faster and smoother on my old XPS 15 l521x, i dont think the workload is the issue. In fact, I was able to run call of duty world war 2 at 40-50fps on the 9560 with no power throttle. I've been noticing this problem only for the past few months. The power throttle happens even before the laptop gets heated

11 Posts

April 13th, 2019 14:00

Hey, I am experiencing the same issue with my Precision 5510 (which was marketed as mobile workstation, essentially the same as XPS 9550 9560). In my case, the VRMs near the CPU overheat and cause the CPU frequency to drop to 800MHz, even when watching 4k Youtube videos, which is ridiculous.

Could you please share how you dealt with this issue?

No Events found!