Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

5 Posts

March 3rd, 2019 03:00

Dell xps 15 flames and sparks

My dell XPs started spitting flames out of the back air vents during use and shutdown. Now the charger light is out and the laptop won’t start. I bought the computer 13 months ago and Dell are refusing to refund me. Under the SOGA act for European consumers the item is legally warrantied for 2 years, now I will start the legal fight for a refund and compensation for marks on my table. Has anyone else experienced this issue Also me and my pregnant wife inhaled the toxic smoke and fumes caused by this faulty dell product.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

March 3rd, 2019 08:00

Remove the battery (or the laptop if you cannot remove it) and get it out of your house. Dispose of properly. Battery failure can happen at any time--although they do not usually blow up. Check the law-- batteries are removable parts and are probably not covered under the 2 yr warranty requirements. Batteries can require replacement after one year.

More info here- https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln128667/dell-laptop-battery-frequently-asked-questions?lang=en

This is a user to user forum not Dell Support. Contact Dell Support in your country.

489 Posts

March 3rd, 2019 08:00

Yes a few such cases have been reported, though it doesn't seem to be a common thing to happen. With flames out of the back air vents, the most likely cause is a blown voltage regulator mosfet. These have no active cooling and may get jolly hot, despite the unpopular protection by clock downthrottling. If under warranty, you should get a replacement. If someone's house burns down because of this, Dell might reconsider cooling them VRMs in the 9590 ;) Well, in reality they are more likely to do something less popular, just lower the throttling threshold for the GPU and the first Ambient temperature with an irreversible BIOS update ;( In the meantime, if you get a replacement, consider padding them yourself ;) 

Look up: "Dell XPS 9560 VRM Thermal Insanity As Seen Through FLIR"

5 Posts

March 4th, 2019 05:00

Thanks for the info

5 Posts

July 17th, 2019 05:00

So spoken to dell and they are not going to pay for anything, they want me to pay 40£ to send the computer to them then they’ll assess the damage and fix it and I’ll have to pay even thou under eu law the warranty is 2 years. I expect the cost of fixing the faulty computer which I paid 1800£ for 13 months earlier will be more than a new one.

9.4K Posts

July 18th, 2019 05:00

Hi Jori507,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies for your experience thus far.

If you still require assistance and the system is under warranty, you may contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

If there is no warranty, then you could contact our Out of Warranty team to get a quote for a paid service request. 

No Events found!