Highlighted
Paul888888
1 Nickel

Dell xps 9550 problems with NVIDIA, not showing in device

Hello, I have dell xps 9550 that is used for work and gaming time from time. 

Suddenly my nvidia disappeared. Checked the devise manager - same, it is not there. 

Tried to reinstall the drivers - does not allow, getting an error message saying they cannot find the hardware. 

Ran all of the tests possible on dell - no errors at all, however seems that nvidia is not being tested also, comes on generic name "Video", but no errors. 

Reinstalled intel chipset drivers, intel graphics drivers etc - does not help. 

Googled, seems that is a common problem (I could check earlier, so would choose different laptop, but it is what it is now)

Also, sometimes keyboard is not working now on the start up and I have to restart the laptop 2 or 3 times to get it working - was not a problem before. 

Is there any other way to get it sorted?

Can it be that nvidia gpu is simply dead? Why then the keyboard is playing up? How would I check if the nvidia gpu is really dead?

Dell support said it must be software issue and offered to look at it for £48, since it is out of 1 year warranty for about 5 - 6 months. How about then EU warranty law stating that electronic devices must be warrant for minimum 2 years (6 years in UK, laptop bought from UK).

Many thanks for your answers

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
ejn63
5 Rhenium

Re: Dell xps 9550 problems with NVIDIA, not showing in devic

Look in the device manager - under display adapters, you should see two entries.  If you don't,  unplug the system, remove the base cover and disconnect the battery from the mainboard and hold the power button for 30 sec.  Reconnect the battery and power up the system - see if the nVidia chip reappears.  If it does, then strip out both video drivers (nVidia and Intel). Reboot the system and install the Dell Intel GPU driver.  Reboot again, and install the Dell nVidia GPU driver.

If you don't see the nVidia GPU after resetting the system, it's dead - the mainboard will need to be replaced.

0 Kudos
Paul888888
1 Nickel

Hi, many thanks for reply. Is there any other way to perform reset? For example if I get the battery completely empty and hold the power button? Since I do not want to take the laptop apart due to eu warranty law in case it needs motherboard to be replaced. + It is very strange that a laptop with this price gets mainboard defect after sitting on the desk for 1.5 years :/ Quite disappointing 

0 Kudos
Paul888888
1 Nickel

So some updates. Drained the battery completely empty till the laptop wont turn on. Kept the power button for long. The nvidia does not show up.

Tried reinstalling intel video drivers - no help

Tried reinstalling pci slots (saw one suggestion) - no help

Tried to look under hidden devices - no help. 

Tried to reinstall bios - no help

downgraded bios - no help.

On monday will try dell support for £48 if it is a software issue as they say. 

0 Kudos
ejn63
5 Rhenium

Before calling, it'll help to make a backup and restore the factory image -- because that's what they're going to ask you to do.  You can do that without paying the fee - and if it doesn't get the GPU recognized, it's a hardware failure, and go from there.

0 Kudos
Paul888888
1 Nickel

Fair enough. It that is the only thing they are planning to do - I better then do it myself. 

Quick question to anyway, if it is hardware failure, well quite obvious it is manufacturing issue then. By all means looking at the forums seems that there are a lot of us with the same gpu issue on these laptops. I understand DELL provides warranty of 1 year, however EU law says that electrical items must be warranted for at least 2 years (laptop bought in UK, from Curries shop, UK law instructs to warrant such items for a period of 6 years) and there are organisations in UK helping on the issues with the companies that say the warranty is less, including support of courts actions. Anyone tried that? I have been Dell user for the last 15 years and never even looked at other brands, but never ever had issues like that (well one laptop developed same problem but after 9 years of usage which is understandable completely). Just not sure who should I approach in case it is hardware issue - dell or curries? 

0 Kudos
ejn63
5 Rhenium

I think you'd best contact whatever authority is in charge of enforcing the terms of those laws -- I doubt you'll get anywhere with Dell or the reseller if the warranty has expired.

0 Kudos
paulven
1 Copper

Just quick update if anyone else has similar issues with gpu.

So spent 3 days with dell support assist, tried everything and last source of hard reset and installing new windows. Nothing helped and dell support confirmed that it is most likely faulty gpu. Even though 1 year dell warranty expired, DELL fully understands EU consumer rights (2 years mandatory warranty EU, 6 years UK) and my laptop will be collected free of charge as well as fixed (of course I have been informed if there is no physical damage, which is the case as the laptop has never been opened apart and 1.5 years spent on my desk only, hence why it is considered as manufacturing issue). I am not very happy to have an issue only after 1.5 years of using the laptop which is was one of the most expensive windows laptops + the fixing will take up to 3 weeks, which is a lot of time to be without work tool, however so far DELL support was amazing, seemed to care a lot, was very understandable. Will see how it goes further once the laptop is dispatched and fixed, but so far the support is on a high level. 

0 Kudos
lililaiai
1 Copper

I have been having similar problems with the GPU and tried everything - and have reinstalled windows as well. What would you recommend for someone in the US, who doesn't have this kind of warranty protection?

0 Kudos
Diego.L
1 Copper

Same problem here. The only thing we can do is to keep contactiing Dell Support and hope the best fom them

0 Kudos