Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

10 Posts

September 29th, 2019 04:00

Dell xps13 9333 cpu stuck at 0.78 Ghz

All,

I've been struggling with this for a while now.  I've played the battery disconnect game to no avail.  ThrottleStop doesn't seem to affect his either. The laptop, which had been superb is now bordering on unuseable.  This is on battery of course, which is 95% of how I use this laptop.

Any suggestion on how to rectify this? 

Thanks

chris

10 Posts

September 29th, 2019 04:00

I turned off Speedstep in the BIOS and now the CPU is at 1.97 Ghz and the old performance is back.  Is this going to have a deleterious effect on battery life?

Thanks

10 Posts

September 29th, 2019 09:00

Answering myself, in case someone else has this issue.

I adjusted all the Power Saver settings in the "Power Options" selection from the Control Panel. Changed the minimum CPU from 5% to 10% and bumped most/all of the other settings from 5% to 10%.

I restarted and switched SpeedStep back on.

The CPU seems to be throttling itself as it's supposed to. Hopefully this will stay resolved.

10 Posts

June 5th, 2020 15:00

For whatever reason, this thread got me a new rank in the Dell EMC community. 

At the end of the day, the solution to the problem was a scorched earth Win10 reinstall.

There was some app that was switching this back and I never did figure your what it was.

It works fine now!

24 Posts

June 6th, 2020 01:00

I experienced exact the same issue on a Precision 5520 machine. All test tools including Intels CPU test give no hints of a problem.

After that, i going around with a Dell supporter. They told me that there is a intel driver tool (can´t remember the name) which can cause the problem when you use the wrong installation sequence. But that was not the case.

Finally we exchange the mainboard to fix it.

No Events found!