Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

A

10 Posts

December 26th, 2021 11:00

Disable power delivery from Dell monitor

I have the new XPS 15 and U2520D display. Is there any way to prevent charging the laptop from the display? I don't want to ahve the warning all the time and I really need all the power of the laptop.

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

December 26th, 2021 11:00

I assume you are using the USB-C cable to connect to the laptop. Have you considered using HDMI or DP?

10 Posts

December 26th, 2021 12:00

I use USB C because I need the USB Hub as well. Is there a way to use/enable the USB ports without the USB C connection? Then I could search for DP cable/adapter. HDMI is not an option because I need MST and it is not supported through HDMI, as far as I can understand the manual.

10 Posts

January 1st, 2022 06:00

Hello,

I am sorry for not being clear enough. With the "new XPS" I meant 9510. I just bought it 1-2 months ago, so I was thinking that it should be still the current model.

As I said, I need MST, so HDMI is not an option. 

Power delivery would be actually great but, unfortunately, the monitor is not able to deliver enough power to the XPS. So, in order to be able to use the monitor with the laptop (without having issues with the laptop), I have to find a way to connect them without PD. 

I connected another laptop (HP) via DP to DP and USB C to USB A but wasn't then able to extend the display. I will have to find some DP to HDMI/USB cable to test it with the XPS laptop.. but I am somehow sceptic after it didn't work with the HP.

It is very frustrating to have two new Dell devices and to realize that they are not compatible to each other.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 1st, 2022 06:00

Antiohia,

You need to tell which specific XPS 15 model. You can see here that we have seven.

Pictures are from the online U2520D User's Guide.

Capture.JPG

You cannot be "selective" on how USB Type-C works. You cannot choose to only use the video and data signals and NOT use the PD (power delivery).

Capture1.JPG

Any usage of HDMI will break the two monitor MST (Multi-Stream Transport) DP out port protocol.

To access any of the U2520D USB Type-A downstream ports, you must connect the USB Type-C cable (shipped with your U2520D) to the USB Type-C upstream port on the U2520D AND to your computer.

Capture2.JPG

Or connect to the PC via DP or HDMI and also connect the provided USB Type-C to USB Type-A cable to both the U2520D and the PC.

Capture3.JPG

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 1st, 2022 12:00

The U2520D USB Type-C port can only deliver up to 90W. Why not connect both U2520D directly to the XPS 15 9510 and not using MST? Like this picture below but using both of the left side TB4/USB Type-C ports?

XPS 15 9510 External Display Connection Guide

Capture.JPG

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

January 1st, 2022 21:00

@Antiohia  You don’t have to disable PD. You just need to keep the system’s own power adapter directly connected as well. There’s no harm having two power sources connected simultaneously. You MIGHT need to connect the system power adapter FIRST to make sure it uses the higher wattage source, but I’m not sure about that. It might automatically use the higher wattage source even if it’s connected later. Otherwise, the only way to keep USB and prevent power with that display and your system would be a USB-C to USB-A cable with a female A to male C adapter, which is obviously a hack. Newer Dell displays have upstream “data only” USB ports partly for this exact reason, but not the U2520D.

10 Posts

January 2nd, 2022 01:00

Thank you! This is the first helpful answer that I got. Keeping the own PD would be an option but I somehow would prefer not to have to use the PD all the time. Would USB C - A - C be able to transmit both, data and image?

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a newer 25" display and as I already had U2515, everything with different size or resolution was not an option. So, I basically had to choose out of this Dell display and one from BenQ.

10 Posts

January 2nd, 2022 01:00

I already use the ports for something else. Besides, I don't have two U2520D but one and another display as second one.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

January 2nd, 2022 07:00

@Antiohia  No, a C to A to C setup would only carry USB data. You’d need to use one of the solutions already discussed in addition to that for video. And you’d also have to make sure the entire assembly was rated for USB 3.x, since there are C to A cables and adapters that only support USB 2.0. But again I don’t see why you’re worrying about this now that I’ve said that disabling PD isn’t necessary if you’ll also have an adequately sized power source attached as well.

No Events found!