Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

6 Posts

October 15th, 2018 22:00

Disable secure bios - looking for boot from EFI partition

Good Morning,

I've Dell XPS 15z (L511z) and I'm trying hard to install Linux on it

Unfortunately, I've tried all different boot but there's no one can work, so what exactly I'm looking for is

Disabling the secure boot "no option" exist in the UI Enable boot from EFI partition which is necessary with Mac or Linux

BTW I've no option for UEFI

My laptop bios is Phoenix SecureCore Tiano Setup

Thank you

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

October 16th, 2018 00:00

An EFI partition only exists on disks that are formatted with the GPT partition layout, and GPT disks with bootable EFI partitions are only used with systems that support booting in UEFI mode.  If you don't see an option for UEFI in your BIOS, then it's because your system is too old to support it.  In that case, you would need to use a Linux distro that supports booting in Legacy BIOS mode instead.  If your system DID support UEFI booting, you wouldn't need to enable any "Boot from EFI" option in the BIOS.  Instead, you would simply boot your Linux installation media and install Linux onto the hard drive, and after that your system would automatically find the EFI partition on the hard drive and boot from its bootloader file.  But again, if you don't see a UEFI option anywhere in your BIOS, you can't install OSes that require UEFI booting and therefore you would not use an EFI partition.

Secure Boot is an optional feature on UEFI systems that can be enabled or disabled depending on whether the OS you're trying to run supports it, but again if your system doesn't even support UEFI, then Secure Boot isn't even a factor.

No Events found!