Start a Conversation

Unsolved

F

12 Posts

August 23rd, 2022 06:00

isHighlyActiveTopic

Driver power state failure

Dear members of the community,

I have the Dell XPS 15 9570. Recently, maybe a few months ago, I started to have the blue screen error that reads Driver Power State Failure. It happens randomly. Sometimes as an omen of bad luck, my mouse freezes (both the BT and touchpad) while everything works, and then after a minute, I get a blue screen error. Sometimes everything freezes, and I get the blue screen. I don't know if it's a coincidence or not, but I have updated to windows 11. I had no such problems when I used windows 10. I have also tried to look for this information online, but it did not conform to my exact problem, so I did not have luck finding the answer. My problem happens not during the sleep mode, but anytime, for instance, the laptop can crash while using Word. I have tried to reinstall the system, but a clean install of Win11 did not help. Please help me to solve this problem, as it really disrupts important work tasks. Thank you very much.

10 Elder

• 

23K Posts

August 23rd, 2022 06:00

If the problem did not occur under Windows 10, reinstall that (or uninstall 11 if you still have the option) and wait for a more stable release of Windows 11. 

Windows 11 is still very much a work in progress.  It took quite a while for Windows 10 to be stabilized, and the same applies to Windows 11.

12 Posts

August 23rd, 2022 14:00

Hello. Thank you for your reply. But is this really the solution? I think Dell should be aware of these kind of problems, especially since they claim xps is compatible with the new windows. If we pay for the top tier laptops, shouldn't we at least expect some support from their team to help avoid blue screen errors and to ensure that we can use the product?

2 Posts

September 1st, 2022 12:00

I'm having the same exact issue here on an XPS 15 9570 on Windows 11, also. I had no issues for months on Windows 11 and it only recently started happening. Sometimes up to 1-2x per day. Hoping it's not a hardware issue.

12 Posts

September 1st, 2022 12:00

Yes, it is now less convincing that it's a hardware issue. I really hope somebody from Dell will pay attention to his and provide the working fix. 

September 8th, 2022 21:00

Hi ,

I recently upgraded my XPS 9570 to Windows 11 few days back. I am also facing the exact same issue. 
It never occured in the older Windows 10. 

Did you roll back to windows 10 because of this or did you find some other alternative? 

September 9th, 2022 11:00

(ENG) I have XPS 15 9570 whit I7-8750H; windows 10 pro (version 21H2) and i have this problem: "DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE" whit blue screen of death.
Occurs sporadically and without any apparent problem.
i hope that Dell find the solution.

(ITA) ho XPS 15 9570 con I7-8750H; windows 10 pro (versione 21H2) e ho questo problema: "DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE" con schermo blu della morte. Si verifica sporadicamente e senza alcun problema apparente. Spero che Dell trovi la soluzione

12 Posts

September 9th, 2022 11:00

From what I learned, I think it has to do with some incompatibility issues, but I do not have any fix yet. I will try to contact Dell directly, but at least until now the problem is still not solved.

11 Posts

September 10th, 2022 01:00

@Fictivum wrote:

I started to have the blue screen error that reads Driver Power State Failure. It happens randomly. Sometimes as an omen of bad luck, my mouse freezes (both the BT and touchpad) while everything works, and then after a minute, I get a blue screen error. Sometimes everything freezes, and I get the blue screen. I don't know if it's a coincidence or not, but I have updated to windows 11. I had no such problems when I used windows 10.

Exactly this happens to me too after updating to Windows 11.

There is no clear pattern in the occurences, although it seems slightly more prevalent when the system is running more resource-intensive programs such as programs from the Adobe Suite and/or web development software.

I've updated all drivers through Support Assist.

September 10th, 2022 02:00

(ENG) Usually my notebook is connected to the power supply, but in the course of the working day I happen to disconnect it, and on those occasions the BSOD screen happened, but I repeat that the occasions are completely random.

(ITA) Di solito il mio notebook è collegato all'alimentazione, ma nel corso della giornata lavorativa mi capita di scollegarlo, e in quelle occasioni è successo la scermata BSOD, ma ripeto che le occasioni sono del tutto casuali.

4 Posts

September 13th, 2022 06:00

Hi, I am also seeing this problem with XPS 15 9510 lately.  I have yet to upgrade to Win 11 and the machine was working fine until recently.  In the last week, it kept freezing, usually my mouse is frozen (esp. if I left it inactive for a while) but the keyboard remains operational until the blue screen comes up.  When I restart, the blue screen comes up too.  Can it be a clash with the driver of my Dell wireless rechargeable mouse ?  I have followed Dell's support team's advice to do everything, even resetting my machine using OS recovery tool.   The problem still comes back.  Hope Dell can investigate this as XPS is supposed to be a very stable machine.  

4 Posts

September 13th, 2022 07:00

Supplementing my earlier post, could it be an issue with the latest version of the Dell Peripheral Manager 1.6.1 which was released in mid-August ?  I am using the Dell Premier Rechargeable Wireless Mouse MS7421W and have both channels 2 and 3 paired to the laptop.   Not sure if anyone has similar configurations.  

September 13th, 2022 09:00

An update from my end :
I was facing the issue when I migrated to Windows 11 
but then when I rolled back to Windows 10 - I still am facing the issue of BSOD with DRIVER POWER STATE FAILURE. 

This never happened in last 2 years  of using Windows 10.

This is so frustrating  
I hope Dell finds some solution for it .

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 13th, 2022 11:00

No problem here with Windows-11 Pro (64bit). Super-stable.

Currently have it running on:
Origin Millennium (Mid-Tower) Intel i9-12900K / 32gb DDR5 / Nvidia RTX-3080
Alienware Aurora-R6 - Intel-i7 / 16gb ram / Nvidia GTX-1070
Dell XPS-13 (9310) Intel-i7 / 32gb ram
Dell XPS-15 (9520 ) Intel-i7 / 32gb DDR5 /  Nvidia RTX-3050 Laptop-GPU

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 13th, 2022 11:00

@AkashTheGreat wrote:

I recently upgraded my XPS 9570 to Windows 11 few days back. I am also facing the exact same issue. 
It never occured in the older Windows 10. 

It made the list, so you might want to try a clean-install with flash-drive created from microsoft.com

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000187485/dell-computers-tested-for-upgrade-to-windows-11

Get your drivers from Windows-Update. Work toward a "clean" Device Manager. I have posted detailed suggested procedures here somewhere.

Overlay Upgrades are a Migration and don't always turn-out so good. Sometimes old drivers and/or programs stay behind that aren't actually compatible with Windows-11.

2 Posts

September 14th, 2022 07:00

I also have the same issue of BSOD with DRIVER POWER STATE FAILURE. On an XPS 15 9570, latest drivers and updates etc. I work with a team of designers who also have the same machine and are also having this issue.

None of us have never upgraded to Windows 11 though - I have a feeling that's a coincidence since this has only started in the last few months or so (pretty much the same time I was being prompted to upgrade to Windows 11).

I can't find any solutions to this anywhere. The only thing my crashes have in common is I tend to have something from the Adobe suite open when the computer starts to crash and I can only move the mouse around, then eventually blue screen.

Any help / suggestions appreciated!

No Events found!