Start a Conversation

Unsolved

F

12 Posts

August 23rd, 2022 06:00

isHighlyActiveTopic

Driver power state failure

Dear members of the community,

I have the Dell XPS 15 9570. Recently, maybe a few months ago, I started to have the blue screen error that reads Driver Power State Failure. It happens randomly. Sometimes as an omen of bad luck, my mouse freezes (both the BT and touchpad) while everything works, and then after a minute, I get a blue screen error. Sometimes everything freezes, and I get the blue screen. I don't know if it's a coincidence or not, but I have updated to windows 11. I had no such problems when I used windows 10. I have also tried to look for this information online, but it did not conform to my exact problem, so I did not have luck finding the answer. My problem happens not during the sleep mode, but anytime, for instance, the laptop can crash while using Word. I have tried to reinstall the system, but a clean install of Win11 did not help. Please help me to solve this problem, as it really disrupts important work tasks. Thank you very much.

October 1st, 2022 07:00

Try following the method using DDU and a totally fresh install previously outlined in this thread, and report back. The method I found seems to be working for others so far.

1 Message

October 3rd, 2022 00:00

I have done the DDU process, install graphics drivers from scratch, but the BSOD still appears. Maybe bit less often than previously, but still.

11 Posts

October 3rd, 2022 00:00

I've done the DDU process and driver reinstall and still get the BSOD, typically when using the Adobe CC suite (mostly Photoshop).

October 3rd, 2022 04:00

Which GPU driver are you using? I am using the latest Studio Ready driver from NVIDIa for the 1050Ti for desktop. Just to confirm, you’re still getting the DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE BSOD?

16 Posts

October 3rd, 2022 15:00

I don't think it has to do with updating to Win 11, since I never have, and it happens frequently on Win 10 Pro.

16 Posts

October 3rd, 2022 15:00

I'm having the problem on Win 10 Pro on my XPS 15 9570.  I've never updated to Win 11 and have reinstalled the OS twice now, and it is still happening every week or 2.

11 Posts

October 4th, 2022 00:00

@originalmarshmello I've used the 517.48 Geforce Game Ready Driver.

For me it seems only to occur when running the Creative Cloud software.

There's multiple threads on both Microsoft and Adobe forum relating this issue to Adobe software, e.g.:

For people following this thread: can you report back if you are experiencing this issue while using Adobe software or not (and if not, what else?)

October 4th, 2022 01:00

@pimschaaf I don't think it's specific to Adobe software . . . it's any software which utilises the GPU. I also get it with Davinci Resolve (which also utilises the GPU). I guess most people don't have much software which uses the GPU outside of the Adobe Suite which is why a lot people are finger pointing at Adobe. I may be completely wrong but I believe it is a Windows (it doesn't matter if it's 10 or 11) and / or NVIDIA issue . . . most likely the latter. 

October 4th, 2022 08:00

Good point. I only usually used Adobe programs when it would crash but there were a few times when I was using Figma in Chrome and it crashed due to GPU usage. I also have my laptop set to “Prefer Maximum Performance”.

October 7th, 2022 01:00

I am totally unhappy with Dell hardwares. Sleep issue and this driver issue unsolved after 4 years with my XPS 9570.

October 12th, 2022 05:00

The DDU method doesn't fully work for me.

I had no issues for a few days and then the problem with the BSOD came back and then gets more frequent along with other random lockups. I keep having to do a clean driver install every few days.

I've been back in touch with Dell Support who have looked into the problem and confirmed the following after a fairly long diagnosis session "found it to be a software-related issue. Which is related to the GPU and its driver.". They did some re-installs of various software / drivers but the problem has come back again after a couple of days.

They're again doing another repair to replace the Motherboard, GPU, SSD, and Memory. All of these apart from the memory have already been replaced during the last repair so I'm not exactly confident that this will fix the problem unless there is a hardware update on the replacement boards. I'll keep you posted on what happens

1 Message

October 15th, 2022 21:00

I had this problem since day 1 I received my XPS 15 9510 and till this day which is about 4 months and it is still not resolved.  I had contacted Dell on different occasions and all that's been does is "let's run the bios diag, let's repair windows, blah blah blah."  It almost guarantee I get BSOD power state failure when i plug in my charger to the laptop when it is running every time.  This is pretty much a desktop at this point.

October 17th, 2022 11:00

Finally i've found a thread about this. Same problem. Adobe CC (mostly PS) crashes - mouse freezes. Shutdown with keys - takes ages and then BSOD dump. Restart and PS does not recognize my NVIDIA P1000 graphics card. Uninstalled and reinstalled official Dell video drivers but no help. 

Has only been a problem with Adobe CC

12 Posts

October 18th, 2022 02:00

The problem persists also for me. Until now it stays unresolved and the laptop works fine until it needs high gpu usage. There might be some memory leak or something, because, as has been told by many, it happens only when we use applications that are consistent with high usage of gpu. Then we have driver error. For me it sometimes happens with Lightroom and more frequently with Photoshop. It is really a pitty since Dell XPS is supposed to be a laptop for content creators.

It seems to me that the problem is threefold. There is miscommunication on the different ends. Everybody wants to be in charge of the drivers. Nvidia releases the driver and suggests to install it on Geforce Experience. Dell wants to install its version of the driver through the Dell support, and Windows want to be in charge of all the drivers on Windows update.

Clearly something is wrong on the side of software and nobody wants to take responsibility to fix it. Dell, as a manufacturer, should ensure that the device works without problems, and Windows, as the OS designer, must do the same. Sadly, such cooperation does not seem to exist. Everybody is blaming everybody else, changing laptop parts or providing temporary/usage-limiting/ineffective solutions. I only hope that somebody serious from the technical department would see this post (because before my post, there was no such thread or it needed different solutions), and take charge in investigating this matter.

11 Posts

October 18th, 2022 02:00

The DDU method has not fully worked for me either. It has come to a point where I limit my use of Adobe CC software. It also happens with Davinci Resolve.

If the mouse freezes I typically speed up the crash & boot by using the keyboard to manually restart, it then goes to the BSOD slightly faster during shutdown.

@loklok1 @SimonBrettellPhotography have you made Dell aware of this thread?

No Events found!