Start a Conversation

Unsolved

F

12 Posts

August 23rd, 2022 06:00

isHighlyActiveTopic

Driver power state failure

Dear members of the community,

I have the Dell XPS 15 9570. Recently, maybe a few months ago, I started to have the blue screen error that reads Driver Power State Failure. It happens randomly. Sometimes as an omen of bad luck, my mouse freezes (both the BT and touchpad) while everything works, and then after a minute, I get a blue screen error. Sometimes everything freezes, and I get the blue screen. I don't know if it's a coincidence or not, but I have updated to windows 11. I had no such problems when I used windows 10. I have also tried to look for this information online, but it did not conform to my exact problem, so I did not have luck finding the answer. My problem happens not during the sleep mode, but anytime, for instance, the laptop can crash while using Word. I have tried to reinstall the system, but a clean install of Win11 did not help. Please help me to solve this problem, as it really disrupts important work tasks. Thank you very much.

11 Posts

November 2nd, 2022 06:00

Thanks for this suggestion @honzk.
In addition to trying DDU and reinstall methods earlier, I've disabled Intel Turbo Boost Technology through the BIOS.

This did not resolve the issue for me. It's still crashing to BSOD with DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE, this time while using Figma in Chrome.

I can confirm that my Dell XPS 9750 is not using its fans as much now.

16 Posts

November 2nd, 2022 07:00

Yes my laptop has is but it is not enabled.  I know how to find it and checked right after the BSOD.  It is not enabled and never has been, so unfortunately this isn't the solution.  Thanks for trying. I'm not sure why Dell isn't working on this.  It's becoming very irritating. 

November 3rd, 2022 02:00

Ok, so here's my latest update.

A couple of months ago Dell had previously replaced the SSD, motherboard, power switch battery and a few other bits and pieces after I was getting this issue regularly. This initially looked like it had solved the issue but it came back after a few days. I'd tried the all the methods and tricks I could find online,  but nothing worked. The DDU clean install trick shown in this thread sort of helped reduce the problem but it kept coming back. 3 weeks ago Dell came out and did another fairly extensive repair on the system, again replacing the mother board and SSD, and this time also replacing the memory. Once the repair was completed I did a full clean install of Windows 10 from a Dell provided thumb drive (I'd previously used a Windows install direct from Microsoft). I then did all of the driver updates and then upgraded to the latest version of Windows 11. 

I've now been running for 3 weeks, using Lightroom, Photoshop and Davinci Resolve for multiple hours a day and not seen a single lockup, crash or BSOD. Previously any applications which utilised the GPU would cause the BSOD.

I'm a little confused by this and I still don't believe it to be a hardware issue. Even though it now appears to work after some of the key hardware has been replaced. Bare in mind that this is the 2nd time most of the internals have been replaced and after the fist repair the problem still persisted.

The laptop ran perfectly well from when it was originally purchased in April 2019. Things only stared to go wrong with the DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE around August 2022. This is the main reason why I still think it's a driver issue. Worked fine for nearly three and a half years and then starts to get GPU related issues. I genuinely think it's a software / driver issue and it's just a coincidence that mine now works after a hardware repair (the second repair). Maybe a recent BIOS / driver update resolved the issue?!?!?!?

My suggestion is the following . . . check you're running all of the latest OS updates (including the updates in the Microsoft Store) and that you have the latest BOIS and all of the latest drivers installed (maybe try manually downloading and installing from the Dell Support page). If you have everything up to date and are still getting the BSOD then maybe try doing a full system re-install; back up all of your data, completely wipe your SSD and then do a clean Windows / driver install (preferably from a Dell source). My only theory is that if you have all of the latest updates installed and are still getting the BSOD there could be some junk left over from previous updates which is causing a problem. 

November 3rd, 2022 03:00

@Fictivum Maybe try one one more time (I know it's a complete pain)

12 Posts

Hi there! I am glad this solved the issue for you. I have done the full system reinstall more than once, wiped everything out, installed the newest drivers, have all the system and OS updates. Unfortunately, for me the issue persists. Especially when using adobe suite.

12 Posts

A month ago.

I have XPS 9570 but other Precision 7750 have sleep issue like me. On my office only Dell products are problematic. All other are working well. 

@Fictivum how recently have you last done a re-install?

November 3rd, 2022 05:00

I have a Dell XPS8940 desktop and recently started to have the same issue. Mid October, I shut the computer down while away on vacation. I came back last week and turned it on. Of course, there were updates to be installed, which I did. Since then, I have this issue several times a day, especially when using Edge. Clicking on a news article, instead of pulling up the article, it is looking for "blank" and after a moment or two, the blue screen with the message pops up and shuts down the computer. After the restart, I do trouble shooting and it corrects itself. It will work for a short while, then it happens again. I have reinstalled Windows 11 from Microsoft's website. I still have the issue. I have a HP laptop and Acer desktop running Windows 11 and have no issues with them. It would indicate to me that this is an issue that Dell needs to resolve. 

5 Posts

November 4th, 2022 14:00

So I thought I was the only one with this issue... it's been happening for months now, it started in July/August if I'm not mistaken. I'm using a G7 7588 series and it has never happened in 3 and a half years using it. And as some others have stated, it only crashes when software uses the GPU. I thought it was a hardware problem but it is not since I took it to a tech to check it out and everything was okay. It crashes the most while using Adobe software or playing some games. I think it started when I updated the BIOS but I'm not sure. I hope Dell will have a solution soon because everything I have done has not worked.

November 8th, 2022 02:00

DDU in safemode and clean graphics driver install does not work for me. Photoshop crashes about ten mins after opening, every time.

Using Dell Precision 5530 with NVIDIA P1000

Graphics driver version - 31.0.15.1700_A12

16 Posts

November 13th, 2022 08:00

My warranty ran out, so I can't contact them. Plus, the people you talk with are aggressive to get your money, and then they are not bright and don't have a clue about anything and can barely speak English. The go-to solution is to wipe the drive clean and reinstall a new OS. I've done that twice already, and it doesn't help.

5 Posts

November 13th, 2022 13:00

Shame on them because this is a serious issue, but yeah I'm definitely disappointed and when I'm gonna upgrade my gear Dell will be a no to go.

November 15th, 2022 03:00

Exact same issue on my XPS 9570. Running Windows 11 with all the latest updates and all updates from Dell including newest Bios. Seeing the problem since around (not exactly sure) August. My first thought was graphics drivers so I updated to the latest nVidia Driver 522.30 (which is the DTH driver that should provide best stability).
I have installed the Adobe Suite (Lightroom and Photoshop) on my machine, but the problem occurs mostly when I'm using Citrix terminal server and browser sessions and GoTo meeting for Home Office. I suspect there is some relationship to CPU usage/stress on the machine though. I have disabled autostart of Adobe Creative Cloud and Auto-Updates.

I have a Bluetooth mouse (Microsoft modern mouse). Before the blue screen appears the mouse cursor freezes/disappears, no reaction to touchpad or mouse, while the keyboard is still working.

Since it just happened again I found this thread and ran BlueScreenView. Seems to be the same problem as shown by another user in a previous post, pointing to ntoskrnl.exe, but I'm not an expert with that at all.

Christoph74_0-1668513013127.png

Hope this will get sorted out soon, as it is of course very annoying when happening right in the middle of a video conference. Fingers crossed.

16 Posts

November 15th, 2022 12:00

Does anyone still have a warranty and service agreement with your laptop?  If you do, please contact Dell and give Tech Support a link to this thread.  They need to work on this, NOW!  This is an issue for everyone since August.  It has nothing to do with Adobe, because I don't use that, but Adobe obviously is a trigger.  I also have Windows 10 Pro, so it is not unique to Windows 11.  I swear that it happened after a Microsoft Update.  I have also wiped clean my hard drive twice and reinstalled a clean version of Windows 10 Pro, and that hasn't helped.  Thank you.

No Events found!