XPS

Last reply by 01-18-2023 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Driver power state failure

Dear members of the community,

I have the Dell XPS 15 9570. Recently, maybe a few months ago, I started to have the blue screen error that reads Driver Power State Failure. It happens randomly. Sometimes as an omen of bad luck, my mouse freezes (both the BT and touchpad) while everything works, and then after a minute, I get a blue screen error. Sometimes everything freezes, and I get the blue screen. I don't know if it's a coincidence or not, but I have updated to windows 11. I had no such problems when I used windows 10. I have also tried to look for this information online, but it did not conform to my exact problem, so I did not have luck finding the answer. My problem happens not during the sleep mode, but anytime, for instance, the laptop can crash while using Word. I have tried to reinstall the system, but a clean install of Win11 did not help. Please help me to solve this problem, as it really disrupts important work tasks. Thank you very much.

Replies (88)
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Hi, I am also seeing this problem with XPS 15 9510 lately.  I have yet to upgrade to Win 11 and the machine was working fine until recently.  In the last week, it kept freezing, usually my mouse is frozen (esp. if I left it inactive for a while) but the keyboard remains operational until the blue screen comes up.  When I restart, the blue screen comes up too.  Can it be a clash with the driver of my Dell wireless rechargeable mouse ?  I have followed Dell's support team's advice to do everything, even resetting my machine using OS recovery tool.   The problem still comes back.  Hope Dell can investigate this as XPS is supposed to be a very stable machine.  

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Supplementing my earlier post, could it be an issue with the latest version of the Dell Peripheral Manager 1.6.1 which was released in mid-August ?  I am using the Dell Premier Rechargeable Wireless Mouse MS7421W and have both channels 2 and 3 paired to the laptop.   Not sure if anyone has similar configurations.  

An update from my end :
I was facing the issue when I migrated to Windows 11 
but then when I rolled back to Windows 10 - I still am facing the issue of BSOD with DRIVER POWER STATE FAILURE. 

This never happened in last 2 years  of using Windows 10.

This is so frustrating  
I hope Dell finds some solution for it .

8 Platinum

No problem here with Windows-11 Pro (64bit). Super-stable.

Currently have it running on:
Origin Millennium (Mid-Tower) Intel i9-12900K / 32gb DDR5 / Nvidia RTX-3080
Alienware Aurora-R6 - Intel-i7 / 16gb ram / Nvidia GTX-1070
Dell XPS-13 (9310) Intel-i7 / 32gb ram
Dell XPS-15 (9520 ) Intel-i7 / 32gb DDR5 /  Nvidia RTX-3050 Laptop-GPU

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.

@AkashTheGreat wrote:

I recently upgraded my XPS 9570 to Windows 11 few days back. I am also facing the exact same issue. 
It never occured in the older Windows 10. 

It made the list, so you might want to try a clean-install with flash-drive created from microsoft.com

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000187485/dell-computers-tested-for-upgrade-to-windows-11

Get your drivers from Windows-Update. Work toward a "clean" Device Manager. I have posted detailed suggested procedures here somewhere.

Overlay Upgrades are a Migration and don't always turn-out so good. Sometimes old drivers and/or programs stay behind that aren't actually compatible with Windows-11.

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I also have the same issue of BSOD with DRIVER POWER STATE FAILURE. On an XPS 15 9570, latest drivers and updates etc. I work with a team of designers who also have the same machine and are also having this issue.

None of us have never upgraded to Windows 11 though - I have a feeling that's a coincidence since this has only started in the last few months or so (pretty much the same time I was being prompted to upgrade to Windows 11).

I can't find any solutions to this anywhere. The only thing my crashes have in common is I tend to have something from the Adobe suite open when the computer starts to crash and I can only move the mouse around, then eventually blue screen.

Any help / suggestions appreciated!

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Hello again guys,

so it seems the problem is rather common and it is not a hardware issue then. I also use Adobe suite and Bluetooth mouse, but I don't know if this is the reason.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Hi all,

I have 2 laptop Dell model XPS 15 9570 and model G7 7588. Both update from Window10 to Window11. But Model XPS 15 9570 meet BSOD frequently, about ~1times / day. I try many methods: update drivers, check power setting, reset window... etc

May be this Model XPS 15 9570 have a major issue with Window11 until now. How to solve it?

Ps: model G7 7588 still work well with Window11.

Also getting this issue on my XPS 15 9570, running windows 11. It's nice seeing that many others have the same issue, I was worried my hardware was on its way out. Previously I ran an old Nvidia driver from before May 12th and it worked, but recently windows updated and now I have the issue again.

I am usually using adobe lightroom or photoshop when it crashes, and a Bluetooth Logitech MX Anywhere 2S mouse. These driver power state issues are recent, never had them before when I had windows 10. Something is off on dell's end I suspect. In the mean time, I'm trying an older Nvidia driver to see if it will work.

Upon further research, I tried this jayztwocents videos method and it works for me so far! Here’s the video link: https://youtu.be/F8OLhUAPDq0

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor