Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 19th, 2021 15:00

Drivers for touchpad XPS 13 2-in1 9365 windows 10

The begin october updates pushed me to re-install some drivers. My touchpad is still behaving curious. Sometimes it refuses to work (no pointer), sometimes it works out of the "blue". In diagnosis  or support assist HW seems to be ok. I have done all the hints given in the knowledge base.
So probably a driver issue is still pending. Can anybody hint what drivers for the XPS 13 2-in-1 9365 are responsible for the touchpad. I have reinstalled all the mouse drivers (the HID mouse and PS/2 driver under "mouse and other pointer devices") and the "HIDtouchpad" find under "human interface devices". By re-installing and re-setup, i got the touchpad working sometimes. So besides the 2 mentioned what other drivers need be re-installed for a secure operation of the touchpad.  Please advise. By the way all the re-installed drivers are time stamped in "2006" which i find also quite odd. I assume there are supposed to be later versions.Thanks.

148 Posts

October 20th, 2021 11:00

@aadvanderpol   very odd but I have a few ideas. Have you reviewed this article https://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/dell-touchpad-drivers/ and this troubleshooting guide? https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-au/000123353/touchpad-usage-and-troubleshooting-guide

There is also this which may explain intermittent issues:

ECharles_0-1634756209919.png

Can it be a hardware issue?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

October 20th, 2021 12:00

My system looks like yours.  It does run off the Serial IO I2C which is, I believe one of the chipset drivers.

If you want to check, open the Device Manger and select the touchpad.  Then go to the top and select to view device by connection.  

So, Chipset drivers

Serial IO driver

Intel HID Event Filter Driver.

On a side note, there is a TPM update.  If you have the system with the 8th Gen processor and decide you want Win 11, that might help.

But be careful if you decide to install it.  I would suggest unwinding your Hello Face options such a finger print, face or even PIN since wiping the TPM will stop those options from working until they have been reset and it may be difficult for you to log back in after the process is complete.

148 Posts

October 19th, 2021 17:00

@aadvanderpol  I suspect you've already gone here to the Dell support site and have entered your service tag number and let the system update your drivers.

October 20th, 2021 01:00

Yes ! It says its updated. It does not account or re-install for damaged drivers. I have used this to manually install 2 Dell drivers again. The touchpad drivers are "HID" drivers of microsoft. They install again if you remove a particular driver. Microsoft and Dell info is not clear what the names of the drivers are so i could remove them. For the touchpad there seems to be more drivers that interact due to the I2C chipset. The only clear name in the devices is the "HIDTouchpad" also the mouse seems to share some sw with the touchpad since the "additional set-up for mouse/touchpad" uses the same driver. Above are 5 drivers ( 3 for mouse 1 for ps/2 mouse and the hidtouchpad). When i re-installed these touchpad seems to work 60% of the time, and than disappears and appears again. May-be there is another driver (I2C driver??) that rules which input device has priority.

148 Posts

October 20th, 2021 07:00

@aadvanderpolIs there anything that you do right before the touchpad quits working? For example " the touchpad stops working whenever I play a youtube video"

October 20th, 2021 11:00

It quits working randomly. Events are i.e. When reading a PDF it could quit when scrolling over a photo, or when one scrolls over selectable text. It might stop if one starts typing again after a longer period,with the laptop screen always opened.

To get working again, sometimes changing the pointer type (arrow to hand) in the mouse or touchpad set-up migth wake up the touchpad. Once it appeared after a day when i hit windows key+ X and going to a microsoft web-site. Also it appeared again after deleting and re-installing de HID drivers under "mouse settings"  and the hidtouchpad under "HID" ( but also this is randomly).
Also when the touchpad quitted, using the USB Dell mouse migth wake up the touchpad.

Other HID devices such as bamboo pen, dell mouse, touchscreen work as usual.
Also when touchpad works , switching to and from tablet mode has no effect (so the mode sensor seems to work ok).

So it keeps me puzzeling . Today no issues (that is the win+X to microsoft site activity)...we keep fingers crossed.

October 20th, 2021 12:00

Thx i need to study these first.   

October 24th, 2021 11:00

deleting/Loading the HIDTouchpad driver , in I2C chipset2 seems to have solved the touchpad issue. At least it is working now for 3 days. Its a pity that due to a windows update i had to re-install 3 drivers !

148 Posts

October 25th, 2021 09:00

@aadvanderpol  Let's hope that it keeps working. It looks like the Windows update overwrote your drivers with older (2006) versions.

Please check back in a while and keep us updated.

1 Message

May 29th, 2022 07:00

I have seen very similar symptom on my 9365. Windows updated, latest drivers and BIOS via Dell Command Update and my trackpad/mouse experience had intermittent lagging.  I tried the disable/enable steps above on the HID devices, but that did not solve my touchpad lagging.  I found another thread on the web on disabling C-States in the BIOS. After disabling C-States in the BIOS, my touchpad experience has dramatically improved.  While it is too early to call it fixed, this is the most promising improvement I have seen with my particular experience.  

No Events found!