MarcusJT
1 Copper

Enabling Windows 10 WCG support on XPS 9550 and other 15in Dell laptops with 4K WCG panels

Jump to solution

Windows 10 now supports WCG (Wide Color Gamut) and my XPS 9550 has a 4K WCG panel built in.

However, Windows 10 does not appear to detect the WCG capability of the panel and so the option to "Use WCG apps" in "Windows HD Color settings" remains disabled.

How do I get Windows 10 to recognise the WCG capability and enable the option?

Presumably a monitor driver is needed but Dell doesn't provide one.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
jphughan
5 Osmium

Re: Enabling Windows 10 WCG support on XPS 9550 and other 15in Dell laptops with 4K WCG panels

Jump to solution

What is leading you to believe that the XPS 15 9550's built-in 4K display supports WCG?  It doesn't.  If you're reading reports of the color space it can physically reproduce, that's not the same as supporting an actual WCG signal from the GPU.  And come to think of it, I'm not even sure the Intel GPU in that system supports WCG/HDR, since I believe that arrived with the Intel GPU generation that came with Intel Core 7th Gen CPUs.  Even if your XPS 15 includes the GeForce GPU, all of the display outputs are physically wired to the Intel GPU, with the NVIDIA GPU only operating through NVIDIA Optimus when needed, so the Intel GPU's capabilities (or limitations) are still relevant here.  Anyhow, if your Intel Graphics drivers are up to date and those options are still unavailable, then your system configuration doesn't support those options.  There isn't something extra you'd need to do to make them available if it was possible.  If you were using an external display, there might be other factors such as the GPU output, display input, and cable you're using, but that wouldn't apply to the built-in display.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Highlighted
jphughan
5 Osmium

Re: Enabling Windows 10 WCG support on XPS 9550 and other 15in Dell laptops with 4K WCG panels

Jump to solution

What is leading you to believe that the XPS 15 9550's built-in 4K display supports WCG?  It doesn't.  If you're reading reports of the color space it can physically reproduce, that's not the same as supporting an actual WCG signal from the GPU.  And come to think of it, I'm not even sure the Intel GPU in that system supports WCG/HDR, since I believe that arrived with the Intel GPU generation that came with Intel Core 7th Gen CPUs.  Even if your XPS 15 includes the GeForce GPU, all of the display outputs are physically wired to the Intel GPU, with the NVIDIA GPU only operating through NVIDIA Optimus when needed, so the Intel GPU's capabilities (or limitations) are still relevant here.  Anyhow, if your Intel Graphics drivers are up to date and those options are still unavailable, then your system configuration doesn't support those options.  There isn't something extra you'd need to do to make them available if it was possible.  If you were using an external display, there might be other factors such as the GPU output, display input, and cable you're using, but that wouldn't apply to the built-in display.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
MarcusJT
1 Copper

Jump to solution
Aha! That does makes sense, thank you!