Start a Conversation

Unsolved

K

1 Message

May 5th, 2022 22:00

XPS 15 9570, external HDMI monitor, black or no signal?

When I try to connect my XPS 15 9570 to my external monitor the screen flickers between black and no signal. The display setup is set to multiply displays with the external being set as a secondary. 

I've tried the following 

• connecting to a TV via HDMI. Connects
  • connecting a different computer with two different HDMI cables to the external monitor. No issue
  • connected the XPS 15 with a different HDMI cable. same issue

The XPS recently had the motherboard replaced and BIOS updated to 1.24.0.

44 Posts

May 6th, 2022 08:00

Is your external monitor 4k? I have the same issue with my external 4k monitor when the internal display on my 9570 is on as well. The external display flickers and then goes gray for a minute, while the whole laptop is almost frozen, with System process consuming almost 100% of CPU. That's not the whole problem because after that it often happens that some devices like audio don't work at all until the laptop is restarted. It usually happens when after the boot or wake up from sleep/hibernate, but it can also happen when some apps are launched.

It doesn't happen if the external monitor is the only monitor (internal display is off), and it only happens when both displays are 4k, not when one of them is set to a lower resolution.

This has been an issue for already quite some time, and there are few more posts about it. The solution (according to that post) is to go down to some really old BIOS version. Obviously there has been some big bug in the BIOS for 9570 for quite some time already, and Dell is still not solving this problem.

1 Message

March 16th, 2023 23:00

I also have this exact problem.  I have a Dell XPS 15 and two Dell 4K monitors, one connected to USB-C and the other HDMI from the laptop.  The HDMI one always flickers whichever monitor I connect to, so it is not a monitor issue.  Sometimes after several reboots it will come good, and what I find triggers it for me is when I take my laptop to the office and connect to the monitors via a hub, which works fine as they are not 4K screens.  When I return home and connect to my 4K monitors again, the flickering will occur for days, until for some reason it will come good again.  Very frustrating, and now I find I don't connect the monitor with the HDMI connection.  Am wondering whether it is worth getting a hub and connect both monitors using USB-C connections.  The only reason I don't do that now is because there is only one USB-C port on my XPS-15.

Thanks. 

(edited)

No Events found!