Start a Conversation

Unsolved

N

2 Posts

April 27th, 2020 12:00

External monitor showing black screen

I have the Dell XPS 15 9570. I've had it since 2018 and have never had an issue with external monitors. All of a sudden, it has stopped working. I can assure you it is not the monitor or the HDMI cable because I have tested both and they are working fine. I tried connecting the laptop to another monitor and it would not work with that one either. I've tried reinstalling the graphics drivers and even reinstalled Windows 10 and it is still not working. I also used SupportAssist to scan for any issues and nothing has popped up. Any suggestions for next steps?

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

April 27th, 2020 13:00

Check the Display Settings for the external monitor. Right click on the desktop and select Display Settings. 

9 Posts

October 25th, 2023 20:53

@Mary G​ What difference does that make?

9 Posts

October 25th, 2023 20:54

@Mary G​ Both screens - Laptop and Asus monitor are driven by the Intel P530 graphics

9 Posts

October 25th, 2023 21:01

@Mary G​    I had my Precision 7510 running on Win 10 Pro and one day the monitor stopped working with it.  I have tried the monitor on another laptop and desktop - works fine. Checked the cables - used mini DP port and HDMI - doesn't work.  The only way it will drive an external monitor is using a Dell ePort which will drive two monitors quite happily.

The screen is recognised by Windows but only gives a black screen.

I have updated to Win 11 Pro and it still doesn't work.  As lots of others are finding this an issue, i will be surprised if it is a physical hardware failure.

Please DELL, find a driver fix for your many frustrated customers, before we all go back to Lenovo, who do fix things like this.

No Events found!