Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

1 Rookie

• 

76 Posts

September 28th, 2022 09:00

External thunderbolt monitor not detected when updating Nvidia driver/XPS9710 Win11 Home

Hi all, I have a Dell XPS 17 9710 laptop (Windows 11 Home 22H2 with latest updates and Intel Thunderbolt Controller) with RTX3060 graphics card connected to an external Dell monitor via thunderbolt (UP2720Q). I'm using Nvidia driver version 512.95. In this scenario everything works stable and fine. Problem is that whenever I try to update the Nvidia driver to any later version (including current version 31.0.15.1748), the external Dell monitor is not detected, and the only way to have Windows 11 detect the external monitor is to roll back to Nvidia driver 512.95. This issue is not present in Windows 10, i.e., the external thunderbolt Dell monitor is detected with ANY Nvidia driver. I have extensively googled for any hints, but other than the obvious ones I did not find anything helpful. Thanks for any feedback.

457 Posts

September 28th, 2022 09:00

Was the issue present in Windows 11 21H2?

1 Rookie

• 

28 Posts

September 30th, 2022 10:00

I have also encountered this behavior with a different brand and model laptop running Windows 11 (with Thunderbolt 4 support built-in) connected to two external displays via a Thunderbolt 4 hub based on the Intel Goshen Ridge chipset.  My laptop also has a hybrid GPU configuration, with the discrete GPU being a Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070

Nvidia driver version 30.0.15.1215 = video output working via Thunderbolt 4 hub
Nvidia GPU driver version 31.0.15.1694 = video output NOT working via Thunderbolt 4 hub
Nvidia GPU driver version 31.0.15.1748 = video output NOT working via Thunderbolt 4 hub

When the laptop is in the 'problem' state, if I connect a simple USB Type-C video adapter (for example a USB-C to HDMI adapter) directly to the host's built-in Thunderbolt 4 port, the video output works properly.

The negative result only appears to occur when the video signal is being tunneled via the Thunderbolt protocol when using the Thunderbolt 4 hub. 

To the original poster (alegator), would you happen to have a simple USB Type-C video adapter available to test with?

If yes, if you connect the USB Type-C to video adapter directly to one of the Thunderbolt 4 ports built-in to your Dell laptop, and then connect a standard HDMI or DisplayPort cable from the adapter to either the HDMI or DisplayPort video inputs within your Dell display, does the behavior change?

The intent is to determine if the Thunderbolt aspect of the connection is a contributor to the behavior in your specific case.

1 Rookie

• 

28 Posts

March 13th, 2023 11:00

Apologies for the lack of follow-up on my part in this specific thread.

In my specific case that I described earlier in this thread, the issue appeared to be that video output was not working when tunneled via a Thunderbolt 4 or Thunderbolt 3 device.

I have found that updating to the latest Nvidia driver available as of today (version 531,18) resolves the issue --> https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/199991/en-us/ in my specific case.

No Events found!