Peter_ET
1 Nickel

Extreme fan noise on XPS 9570

Hello. I just got my XPS 9570 today and I am experiencing extreme fan noise while playing LoL at only medium settings. I have latest versions of windows and even the new BIOS version. How do I fix this?

0 Kudos
43 Replies

Re: Extreme fan noise on XPS 9570

Hi @Peter_ET,

Can you help me out with some more details about your configuration and use so I can get a greater understanding of what's causing the fan noise : -

a) Is this fan noise only heard during gameplay?
b) Is the fan just loud or is it making any abnormal mechanical noises i.e grinding, clunking, rattling etc?
c) Is the system being used on a flat surface with no obstruction to the fan outlet when this occurs?
d) Despite the game being run on medium settings, what performance profile are you running for Windows?
e) If you run the system in the same configuration on battery only, do you hear the same level of fan noise?
f) Do any other applications result in the same loud fan during use?

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 9am-4pm GMT
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
Peter_ET
1 Nickel

a) It also went very loud when i ran a stress test, even when the CPU temp was only around 50 degrees (with CPU usage approx 70% and ram 50%)

b) To my ear there is nothing abnormal, it just sounds like fans running fast.

c)Yes, flat wooden table

d) I have chosen the quiet setting and in the power i have halfway between better battery and better performance

e) I have not tried that, but I think it in general is more quiet when i run on battery

f) Stress testing (have not tried other games, only play LoL)

However, it seems to have gotten better already, don't know why, could be since i undervolted it slightly. However, I still think the fans run a little loud on relatively low temperatures such as 50 degrees and extremely loud when under high pressure where cpu temp is around 80 degrees.

0 Kudos

Thanks for the info. From the answers you have provided I can see no issues here. The thermal system is working as designed and the fan noise is within the accepted parameters for the system.

Due to the compact ultrabook design of the system, there is less room to fit in the heatsink and associated fans alongside the other hardware components. As a result of this, the system has a lower threshold for heat and the ability to dissipate it. 

When the system is under load the cpu fans kick in at a lower point compared to say a conventional laptop and due to their smaller size have to work harder to effectively cool the system. This means the fan noise is louder than usual in what you would consider normal usage. 

I would also recommend updating the BIOS to the latest revision when they are available as they can have updated thermal tables to reduce fan noise.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

Kanov
1 Copper

Hi AlanD.

I have the same problem with my laptop dell xps 9570 i7-8750. Can you help me to set termal plan to quiet? Will be that termal plan problem in the future work of the laptop? What can i do other for fan noise decreasing? I will try to hold my BIOS with lates version of update.

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
enun_77
1 Nickel

The i7-8570H consumes 45 watts and the GTX 1050 Ti consumes about 70 watts. It's going to take a lot of air pressure to cool those components off. The XPS 15's slim chassis makes it even harder so you shouldn't be surprised that the fans are loud. 

Peter_ET
1 Nickel

Thank you for the answer.  I tested it further, and I am surprised that LoL apparently is tougher to cope with than a prime95 stress test - it just gets louder during LoL. Fan level 2 i think already kicks in around 55 degrees, is there someway I can force it to do it later? The laptop never gets hotter than around 65 degrees, this is of course positive, but I would rather have less fan noise. Any recommendations? Otherwise all around great laptop.

Furthermore, how do I check the dedicated GPU usage? In the task manager, it seems I use 0% GPU on LoL, but that is perhaps only the integrated?

Thanks,

Peter

0 Kudos

@Kanov wrote:

Hi AlanD.

I have the same problem with my laptop dell xps 9570 i7-8750. Can you help me to set termal plan to quiet? Will be that termal plan problem in the future work of the laptop? What can i do other for fan noise decreasing? I will try to hold my BIOS with lates version of update.

Thank you in advance.

Hi @Kanov

You should be able to switch your power plan using the Dell Power Manager application.

To launch this, click on the Windows home button and then start to type Power Manager. Windows should find the application and then you can open it.
From within the application you should have multiple plans available i.e quiet mode, balanced, max performance.

I hope this helps.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos

@Peter_ET wrote:

Thank you for the answer.  I tested it further, and I am surprised that LoL apparently is tougher to cope with than a prime95 stress test - it just gets louder during LoL. Fan level 2 i think already kicks in around 55 degrees, is there someway I can force it to do it later? The laptop never gets hotter than around 65 degrees, this is of course positive, but I would rather have less fan noise. Any recommendations? Otherwise all around great laptop.

Furthermore, how do I check the dedicated GPU usage? In the task manager, it seems I use 0% GPU on LoL, but that is perhaps only the integrated?

Thanks,

Peter

Hi @Peter_ET

There are applications that allow you to manipulate the fans and exactly when they respond, however I would advise against using them. The thermal tables combined with the power profiles have been designed to be the most efficient method of cooling the system. Adding in additional controls could have a negative impact on the system's ability to cool the system or decrease the performance.

To check the dedicated GPU usage, open up the task manager and expand the window so you can see the last GPU tab. Anything using the GPU will be listed as GPU1, the integrated will be using GPU0. To see the actual performance usage, click on the "Performance" tab at the top. GPU0 and GPU1 will be listed down the left hand side.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Peter_ET
1 Nickel

Thank you. 

One last thing to report is, that sometimes the fans go into some kind of state, where they just keep turning on for 3 seconds and then off for 3 seconds and repeat this until i restart the computer (computer at around 45 degrees, both with and without power connected). I would rather have they stayed on the entire time. What could be the cause?