JorgeBios
1 Copper

Re: Extreme fan noise on XPS 9570

Hi Alan,

I've been reinstalling the BIOS but it keeps doing the same. Full time fans spinning and speeding randomly. I´m in contact with technical support and let's see what is next, but I have it already more than 14 days so I'm not going to be able to upgrade or change. 

0 Kudos

@JorgeBios wrote:

Hi Alan,

I've been reinstalling the BIOS but it keeps doing the same. Full time fans spinning and speeding randomly. I´m in contact with technical support and let's see what is next, but I have it already more than 14 days so I'm not going to be able to upgrade or change. 

@JorgeBios, going by the information you have provided I am wondering if this is a perception issue. There is a possibility that there could be a technical fault with the fan controller but your description of the fan activity for this model sounds accurate. The fans will spin up even under moderate load and will vary the fan speed to ensure the system is adequately cooled. 

Have you had past experience of using an ultrabook system? Do you have another notebook that you can compare the fan activity to?

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 9am-4pm GMT
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
AJRIver1
2 Bronze

Should the fans spin even during low usage - in these chassis types they will as they have have much lower thermal thresholds. I have answered this in my response above to another customer, but for clarification - As a result of their slim and compact design, the cooling system has been designed to fit in a much smaller space. The two fans and heatsink are smaller and have to work harder to keep the system cool. This results in you hearing the fan more often and perceptibly louder during lighter loads in order to keep the system cool. The fans coming on and off during use is the system regulating it's temperature.

Does this mean that the system struggles to stay cool even at 0 or 1 % CPU usage?  I still don't understand exactly what is causing the system to warm up to the point where the fans are required to cool it in the first place.  Are you implying that the XPS 15 is designed in such a way that the fans will run if it the system is simply turned on and essentially sitting idle?  Because this is what was happening to me.  In some cases, the fans continued to cycle on and off even after the screen had gone to sleep. I have never seen a computer, much less such an expensive one, behave like this before.

Quiet mode not making any discernible difference - this would only affect the fan noise. As we have ascertained that the noise issue is most likely coming from the motherboard, I can understand now why this hasn't changed anything."

Yes, when I mentioned that Quiet mode didn't make a difference, I was referring to the fan noise, not the mechanical noise. The only thing Quiet Mode does is turn the fans off for a variable period of time, sometimes as brief as 10 seconds. They resume running shortly thereafter as they did before .

0 Kudos
JorgeBios
1 Copper

Hi All,

just installed latest BIOS from the 17th of August and the laptop is still behaving same as before. Also uninstalled McAfee to check, but nothing improved.

Jorge Biosca

0 Kudos
Dannysucko
1 Nickel

Hi Jorge

I've got the same XPS 15 9570 with the i7 8750H CPU, 16GB RAM, 512GB SDD and 4K display.

the latest BIOS 1.3.1 has been installed and i have to say that the CPU fans are not running really fast or produce annoying noise. Of course the fans kicks on and run really fast while stressing the CPU, but mostly doing the common work like internet browsing or watching youtube, the unit isn’t loud.

So probably the thermal grease which is placed between the cooling module and the CPU/GPU dried out or has not been used properly and it should be re-pasted. This helps a lot and I can imagine that this could be the solution in your specific case.

robsworld
1 Nickel

@AJRIver1 wrote:

Should the fans spin even during low usage - in these chassis types they will as they have have much lower thermal thresholds. I have answered this in my response above to another customer, but for clarification - As a result of their slim and compact design, the cooling system has been designed to fit in a much smaller space. The two fans and heatsink are smaller and have to work harder to keep the system cool. This results in you hearing the fan more often and perceptibly louder during lighter loads in order to keep the system cool. The fans coming on and off during use is the system regulating it's temperature.

Does this mean that the system struggles to stay cool even at 0 or 1 % CPU usage?  I still don't understand exactly what is causing the system to warm up to the point where the fans are required to cool it in the first place.  Are you implying that the XPS 15 is designed in such a way that the fans will run if it the system is simply turned on and essentially sitting idle?  Because this is what was happening to me.  In some cases, the fans continued to cycle on and off even after the screen had gone to sleep. I have never seen a computer, much less such an expensive one, behave like this before.

Quiet mode not making any discernible difference - this would only affect the fan noise. As we have ascertained that the noise issue is most likely coming from the motherboard, I can understand now why this hasn't changed anything."

Yes, when I mentioned that Quiet mode didn't make a difference, I was referring to the fan noise, not the mechanical noise. The only thing Quiet Mode does is turn the fans off for a variable period of time, sometimes as brief as 10 seconds. They resume running shortly thereafter as they did before .

I have the Dell XPS 15 9570 on bios 1.4.1 and I'm experiencing the same thing with low level tasks. My CPU temps are 45c  and below. My CPU is 0-10%, Memory 5% no internet activity and the fans just decide to spin up momentarily. In fact sometimes I'm in the bios, changing settings and the fans just randomly come on for no reason. 

In my particular case I opened up photoshop, fan kicks in. I resize photoshop window fan kicks in. Not that there is a CPU spike or memory issue. Just the typical Dell fan curve panicking to lower the temps, causing fan cycling

I agree laptops as thin as they are should never have an issue with low level tasks. You ask what other ultrabooks to compare to? How about apple, many people use them at my work and I never hear their fans kicking in when they are browsing the net. Lenovo Yogas also thinner than the xps (even though not as powerful) can handle simple tasks without causing noise

The fan curve on the XPS 9570 needs fixing, many of the solutions outlined in this forum are too generic. Putting it on quiet doesn't work, disabling turbo boost doesn't work.

I would love for a Dell representative to confirm once and for all, that opening up chrome with a few tabs will indeed kick in the fans and that the Dell fan design is incapable of handling low level tasks like this, without fan noise.

The issue is so frustrating and annoying, it's reported all over the internet, you need to be under a rock not to hear about it. Yet it seems Dell engineers are happy with the fan curve as if they are astonished that something like this happens or just play it down that it's a thin laptop so expect it. 

I ask on behalf of the world experiencing these fan issues, please fix the fan curve make them kick in at higher cpu temps. Dell engineers I urge you to go to a library with a Dell XPS 9570 laptop, plug it into the AC wall charger  and just use it in a very quiet environment and be surprised at how often the fans kick in when you are doing absolutely nothing extraordinary 

Just make the customers happy for once

robsworld
1 Nickel

I too have the Dell XPS 15 9570 (i7 8750H CPU, 16GB RAM, 1TB SDD and 4K display) on bios 1.4.1 and I'm experiencing the same thing with low level tasks. My CPU temps are 45c and below. My CPU is 0-10%, Memory 5% no internet activity and the fans just decide to spin up momentarily. In fact sometimes I'm in the bios, changing settings and the fans just randomly come on for no reason.

In my particular case I opened up photoshop, fan kicks in. I resize photoshop window fan kicks in. Not that there is a CPU spike or memory issue. Just the typical Dell fan curve panicking to lower the temps, causing fan cycling

I agree laptops as thin as they are should never have an issue with low level tasks. You ask what other ultrabooks to compare to? How about apple, many people use them at my work and I never hear their fans kicking in when they are browsing the net. Lenovo Yogas also thinner than the xps (even though not as powerful) can handle simple tasks without causing noise

The fan curve on the XPS 9570 needs fixing, many of the solutions outlined in this forum are too generic. Putting it on quiet doesn't work, disabling turbo boost doesn't work.

I would love for a Dell representative to confirm once and for all, that opening up chrome with a few tabs will indeed kick in the fans and that the Dell fan design is incapable of handling low level tasks like this, without fan noise.

The issue is so frustrating and annoying, it's reported all over the internet, you need to be under a rock not to hear about it. Yet it seems Dell engineers are happy with the fan curve as if they are astonished that something like this happens or just play it down that it's a thin laptop so expect it.

Dell engineers I urge you to go to a library with a Dell XPS 9570 laptop, plug it into the AC wall charger, just use it in a very quiet environment and be surprised at how often the fans kick in when you are doing absolutely nothing extraordinary

I ask on behalf of the world experiencing these fan issues, please fix the fan curve make them kick in at higher cpu temps. Just make the customers happy for once

Tags (3)
robsworld
1 Nickel

I too have the Dell XPS 15 9570 (i7 8750H CPU, 16GB RAM, 1TB SDD and 4K display) on bios 1.4.1 and I'm experiencing the same thing with low level tasks. My CPU temps are 45c and below. My CPU is 0-10%, Memory 5% no internet activity and the fans just decide to spin up momentarily. In fact sometimes I'm in the bios, changing settings and the fans just randomly come on for no reason.

Dell engineers I urge you to go to a library with a Dell XPS 9570 laptop, plug it into the AC wall charger, just use it in a very quiet environment and be surprised at how often the fans kick in when you are doing absolutely nothing extraordinary

I ask on behalf of the world experiencing these fan issues, please fix the fan curve make them kick in at higher cpu temps. Just make the customers happy for once

ivandolchevic
1 Copper

Hi Alan,

No need to more investigations.

For a professional usage, I have tested three PCs with similar config and prices

• Asus ROG GL702VI with a 1080ti,16Go RAM
    • Almost noisy but constant and not uncomfortable. Very effective refresh.
  • MSI GS73VR with a 1070ti,16Go RAM
    • Little noisy but constant and almost comfortable. Very effective refresh.
  • DELL XPS 9570 with a 1050ti,16Go RAM
    • Noisy AND uncomfortable sound. Very poor refresh.

Your product cannot be used at work even at home, we embarrass everyone with that fan system. The only thing you can do is just power off the fans. That's amazing when you think that the life duration of a laptop is closely linked to the temperature of the components.

XPS 9570 is overrated, it could be a good product at 1500€.

This is just unacceptable from DELL. I was ready for testing the Alienware series but now, I have been well cooled, me.

Highlighted
Christo_S_M
1 Copper

So these are the facts as I have uncovered them for my 9550. The xps15 9530/9550/9570 monitor several sources of heat in the laptop. To get the fan to switch off you must be on battery power with the quiet dell profile enabled AND crucially not have anything plugged into a USB port. Dell engineers have programmed very aggressive fan profiles. For example the fans will switch on at any time the laptop is plugged in and charging, furthermore when any usb device is connected the chipset will move up a few degrees triggering both fans to kick on at their lowest setting of ~2500RPM. There exists no way for a educated professional person to modify this behaviour. There exists no user software to modify the fan last time I checked a few months ago. The thermal behaviour is very much locked down tight by Dell. They do this because lower temps should extend the life of the components as the laptop profile is very thin. The bottom line is that there is no real reason why the chipset/cpu/gpu can’t be cooled passively and run a bit higher before the fans kick in. There is also no reason for the fans to be so disruptive. On my mackbook pro the fans ramp up slowly only after a few seconds of high power usage, sure during that time the cpu hits 90c but that is TOTALLY fine, anyone with a engineering degree and that can read a spec sheet can realise this, even if it throttles a bit, who cares, provide decent fan profiles to the users and let them decide. Still though Dell engineers program instead overly aggressive intrusive fan profiles that will ramp up while the cpu is at 40c because you just plugged in your usb mouse and now the chipset is at 45c 🙂 It is a shame really, because it is a decent laptop regardless. You can try repaste/undervolt and some other tricks, but none of this will fix the problem. Only  the dell engineers can change this, but they are not willing.