Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 24th, 2020 20:00

HDMI Sound not coming from the TV

Hi.  I have a XPS-13 running Windows 10 Pro (OS Build 19041.572).  I bought USB C-HDMI connector to connect to my TV.  The image works fine but the sound comes out off the laptop, not the TV.  How can I ensure the sound comes from the TV ?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

October 25th, 2020 06:00

@GiomT  On an XPS 13 the HDMI audio would be provided by the Intel GPU, so it would be part of the Intel Graphics drivers. You could try updating those and maybe installing a BIOS update if one is available. To see the device itself, open Device Manager and go to “Sound and video devices” (or whatever that name is) and make sure you have one called Intel Display Audio. If so, then you have the right driver. In that case, my next question would be whether the adapter you have is confirmed to carry audio. If so, then while I was typing this I remembered that on my old XPS 15 9530, HDMI audio never worked when I had Hyper-V enabled. It was a widely reported driver issue with the particular Intel GPU in that system and I don’t think it was fixed. The device showed up properly but never carried audio, unless I booted Windows using a custom boot flag to completely disable the Hyper-V hypervisor. But that was an older system before USB-C, so that probably isn’t it for you.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

October 24th, 2020 20:00

@GiomT  Go to Start > Settings > Devices > Sound and change your output device to the TV rather than the built-in speakers.

3 Posts

October 25th, 2020 06:00

@jphughan  Thanks, but been there.  The problem is that I only have one option: the built-in speakers.  Am I missing a driver or something?

3 Posts

October 25th, 2020 07:00

@jphughan   Wow.  Thanks.  I updated the Intel Display Audio driver and everything works just fine now.  

No Events found!