Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 18th, 2018 07:00

XPS 13 9360, hard drive not installed?

After some searching, I can see I'm not the only one with this issue.  I can't seem to find any solution to the problem though.  I may have more information to share on the issue:

When I shutdown or reboot from windows 10 gracefully, the next time the XPS13 (9360) boots, it will boot into a Dell Support screen that says "Hard drive not installed" with just one button option to "continue" which shuts down the machine.  If I power on the machine after this, the laptop boots normally into windows.

I think this is an issue with Windows 10 or some hardware driver doing something to the hard drive/controller before it shuts down because I am also dual booting Ubuntu and when I shut down from Ubuntu there is no problem, I can boot into windows/ubuntu on the first try after I shutdown from ubuntu.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?  Or maybe some windows settings I can play with that might be causing this?

3 Posts

June 27th, 2019 14:00

After searching through many forums I have found a solution that finally fixed this issue for me.

Going in and manually updating the SSD firmware from the Dell Support page has fixed my issue.

The SupportAssist and automatic updates don't update the firmware for some reason, so you must do this manually.

However, since updating everything every time I put my xps to sleep and then wake it up, the brightness becomes stuck. Moving the brightness sliders or using the Fn keys has no effect, neither does toggling the night light setting.

After restarting I can change brightness again until I put it to sleep again.

If anyone knows of a solution, let me know lol

3 Posts

June 28th, 2019 13:00

I managed to fix the brightness issues by downgrading the latest Intel HD 620 drivers and then updating them again.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

July 18th, 2018 09:00

Thank you for your message. I will be glad to assist you on this.

How long have you been having this issue? Have there been any recent Windows updates of BIOS changes done?

What is the version of BIOS installed?

Run a hardware diagnostic by following the video on this link and check if there is an error.

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Dell-Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

Locate your Dell Service Tag

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

July 18th, 2018 14:00

If you are running a PCIe drive on that system, it may be related to Ubuntu not liking the SATA selection of RAID in the Bios.  Could you explain how you installed Ubuntu and what you have for a setting for SATA configuration?

6 Posts

July 19th, 2018 08:00

Saltgrass, I have the stock drive that came with my system installed: THNSN5512GPUK, I believe it is a PCIe drive.  I don't remember the exact steps I used to install Ubuntu on the machine but it was something along the lines of:

https://www.tecmint.com/install-ubuntu-16-04-alongside-with-windows-10-or-8-in-dual-boot/

where should I look to get the SATA configuration?

I don't think Ubuntu is the problem since booting and shutting down from Ubuntu has no issues.  It is when I shut down from windows that causes the problem.  It seems to me like windows does something to the drive when I shutdown from windows and the issue is reversed (fixed) after I reach that dell support screen and do a reboot everytime.

6 Posts

July 19th, 2018 08:00

I'm not sure when it started happening, it has been a while now, I have done many bios updates while this has been a problem though (at least 2 from what I remember, maybe more).

Currently, my bios version is 2.8.1.  I just ran the diagnostics test and like always, the hard drive was not detected at first until I went to the dell support screen and clicked on continue.  Then all the tests ran fine.  So the sequence of events was:

1. Reboot from windows

2. At the Dell logo press f12

3. Test ran and stopped because  "Hard drive not installed"
4. Reboot

5. Didn't do anything at the Dell logo this time

6. Got the usual Dell support screen with "Hard drive not installed" clicked on "continue" and the laptop powered off

7. Booted the machine and pressed f12 at the Dell logo

8. Tests ran fine

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

July 19th, 2018 12:00

If you had needed to change the SATA configuration in the Bios to install Ubuntu, you would remember that, right?

I am thinking your system is changing controllers on the drive, but I do not know for sure.

You might open the Device Manager and look down to the Storage Controllers and see what exactly is showing for the Drive controller.  It is probably some form of SATA controller but we need the exact description to see if you have updated it.

How are you booting the System, through a boot menu or selecting one install or the other from the Bios?  If you boot Windows twice in a row, does it boot normally the second time?

I am not sure how to check your devices in Ubuntu but if you could find out what controller it is using it might help explain what is happening.  Ubuntu likes to run a PCIe drive using the PCIe driver where Dell installs the PCIe drives so they use the Intel controller. 

6 Posts

July 20th, 2018 08:00

you're right, I believe the two settings I needed to change when I installed ubuntu was:

1. changing the SATA mode to AHCI

2. turn of secure boot

This is what I see in windows device manager:

https://prnt.sc/k8xhcv

I'm using GRUB to select the OS to boot from. If I try to boot windows twice in a row this is what happens:

1. boot into windows

2. do a restart from windows

3. machine will boot up into the dell support screen with "Hard drive not installed"

4. power off the machine

5. power on the machine

6. boot into windows normally

it should be noted that the dell support screen appears before grub loads.  I'll try to find some info in ubuntu about the controller.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

July 20th, 2018 17:00

Sorry, but I am not sure exactly what needs to be done.  Since I don't use Ubuntu that much the Grub situation could be masking a problem related to booting.  When I install Ubuntu, I install it as UEFI and select that boot option with the F12 key during boot so I don't need Grub.

There is an Ubuntu forum on this site, you might ask them.  If you installed Ubuntu as a Legacy install, that could lead to all sorts of problems.  Your description of what you see just makes me think the system is trying to boot  Windows as AHCI but can't find the SATA driver for it to boot with. 

Dell Support during boot will not show a PCIe/NVMe drive being present since it appears that software was never given that option.  The second boot may be able to reset the driver to one which will work.

2 Posts

September 3rd, 2018 00:00

Exactly the same issue with my 3-week old XPS 13 9370. hard drive not installed after reboot/ booting up.

Dell came and replaced the SSD and it was fine for 3 days and now the same problem again.

Also getting the problem now of it not recognizing that the AC adapter is plugged in so the battery eventually empties. 

Any resolution?

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

September 3rd, 2018 09:00

Thank you for your message. I apologize for the inconvenience you had to go through with the new system. I will be glad to look into this & assist you further.

Please check the status of the hard drive, ac adapter & battery in BIOS & check if there is an error message.

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Dell-Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it?

1 Message

September 30th, 2018 12:00

Also have this issue on my xps 9360 after dell repaired the motherboard. Any idea on how to fix this ?

Ravi

December 21st, 2018 12:00

I'm having the same issue described (Dell XPS 9370). I have Ubuntu and Windows 10 installed and I'm using GRUB to manage the dual boot.

I also changed the SATA mode to AHCI and turned off secure boot.

I got my SSD replaced today but I'm still getting the error eventually.

Anyone was able to solve the issue?

2 Posts

January 3rd, 2019 16:00

I am also getting this message. It would be nice to have the solutions posted in the knowledge base. I have all of Dell device drivers applied (those that will install) and all of Windows 10 Updates applied. I have completely re-installed Windows 10 (wiped SSD clean). It seems that this is a very common problems but no solutions are posted.

January 3rd, 2019 21:00

Another here with the exact same problem since I setup a dual boot PC about 6 months ago.  I've been so frustrated by it I removed Ubuntu, formatted the drive, and reinstalled Win 10 only but I'm still seeing the hard drive not installed screen when I restart. 

I'll also add that my system will run perfectly fine until I put the laptop to sleep and wake it up after a while. The windows search bar stops working, and wifi starts to randomly flake out.  Once I restart, get the hard drive not found message then power it on AGAIN, everything works fine....

No Events found!