Unsolved

T

1 Rookie

• 

23 Posts

July 31st, 2020 14:00

How to Disable Modern Standby for XPS 15 9500

Hello folks,

Please advise how to revert S0 modern standby to S3? I have various issues with it, random wake up, battery drain, overheating in a bag while commuting, sleeping problems at the end of the day... cause it just wakes in the middle of the night. This feature is absolutely disaster for laptops. I have smartphone which has this feature and laptop serves for different purpose 

I really need this to be solved, otherwise I'm ready to return my new laptop back.

Thanks

4 Posts

September 22nd, 2020 00:00

I changed to hibernate when lid is shut, but today right after I closed the lid the machine got very hot again. Fans went crazy and I had to open the lid again and switch off the laptop, because the screen only showed dell logo and didn't react on anything. It was just the same when the action on closing the lid was sleeping. Is there a chance that Modern Standby is not an issue and the problem is somewhere else? 

2 Posts

December 8th, 2020 01:00

I have never had a problem with sleep mode until I bought Dell XPS 7590... In sleep mode battery drains over night from 100% to 18%. If I have it in backpack it is hot. I dont want to shut down my notebook every time I move somewhere, I have open many apps and I dont want to reopen them every time. I moved from Lenovo in believes that Dell is more reliable, but it was a mistake, now I think I should had choose HP

January 25th, 2021 07:00

I fixed the random wake up issue (including battery drain, overheating, unnecessary use and degradation of resources) by running in a command line first:

powercfg /setacvalueindex scheme_current sub_none F15576E8-98B7-4186-B944-EAFA664402D9 0

Then in the Registry Editor go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SYSTEM -> CurrentControlSet -> Control -> Power -> PowerSettings -> F15576E8-98B7-4186-B944-EAFA664402D9 -> edit Attributes and set Value data to 0

I stopped having those nasty issues after this.

1 Message

February 9th, 2021 07:00

Hi, 

I just discovered that issue on my new Precision 5550 (Ubuntu Mate 20.10).

After almost burning my bagpack after a failed sleep tentative for 30 minutes, I understood S2idle was the issue. I tried to switch from suspend_to_idle to suspend-to ram as in my previous laptop (XPS15). Now, the laptop goes to sleep ok with fans stopping as should be, but ... it won't wake up.

Have you heard news on that Dell bug you mentioned? (my bios is the latest - updated in january but that did not fix it) Did you finally find a workaround?

Thanks a lot

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 9th, 2021 10:00

I'm not denying a set of "real-world useable" settings is hard to find or even that there might be a bug somewhere in the laptops or Windows-10.

But why are yall just putting it to Sleep before putting it into carrying-bag for extended periods, or like when "putting it to bed" for the night?

I always do a full shut-down at those times. With the SSD, it does a full-boot-up real fast the next morning anyway.

While Hibernate might be an alternative, I can't really speak-about its use since I don't really use Hibernate (I use On/Off and Sleep) . 

I certainly would not try to travel with the laptop packed away ... unless Shut-Down and Turned off completely.

Remember, these laptops are not phones or tablets (but even with those, you must be careful when left Sleeping yet unattended).

• 

25.1K Posts

February 9th, 2021 14:00

Hi, I’m your Dell Virtual Assistant. I see you’re looking for technical assistance. If you require our help, you could initiate a private/direct message with us, and we’d be glad to assist you.

February 12th, 2021 12:00

Give up hope. I've had my Precision 5540 for a year and a half and there's no improvement. Get something else, not from Dell.

4 Operator

• 

159 Posts

February 16th, 2021 00:00

Hi,

I hope you are doing well. 

As per the update, we have not tested the Ubuntu Mate 20.10 on the Precision 5550 system and hence our support is limited. 
As the system has been shipped with 18.04 and there's a plan to upgrade this version officially from DELL to 20.04 by March (version tested and approved to be working well on this specific model by DELL). You will need to keep a tab on our Support website.

Geoffrey

4 Operator

• 

159 Posts

February 17th, 2021 00:00

Hi, 

I'm following up to check if you need any further assistance. If not, I will proceed to close this case. Feel free to contact us anytime. We are available round the clock.

Geoffrey

16 Posts

March 1st, 2021 02:00

Hi there, We want to make sure your system is working fine and hence following up. Having said that, we do not want to disturb you with numerous messages. We will wait to hear from you to continue the conversation.

2 Posts

April 14th, 2021 09:00

Yea, so....this is still a problem DELL.  Is anyone going to fix this??

The new XPS 9500 is sleek, but dang, I expected better software support from a premium device.

Guess I'll get a surface or Macbook next go around.

Outrageous nothing is being done about a computer that CANNOT STAY ASLEEP and overheats in bags.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 27th, 2021 08:00

All,

* Go back to the top of the XPS Laptops board
* Open, "FAQ XPS Laptops"
* Open, "FAQ Modern Standby"

June 16th, 2021 07:00

@DELL-Chris M  has Dell acknowledged that this is an issue with their firmware?

The marketing boasts the usage of Intel processors, but nowhere does is state that basic features (i.e. S3 idle states) of said processors, features that are assumed to be working and do work on laptops by competing manufacturers, do not work on Dell laptops.

If Dell is intentionally choosing to not support features that come with the Intel processors on their devices, it would probably be best to make that clear in the marketing/spec sheet. If it's a bug, it would probably be best to acknowledge it.

The spec sheet provided by Intel documents all the features supported. Other hardware manufacturers are fully compliant with this spec sheet - if Dell doesn't want to go that route, it would make sense to make it clear what shortcuts have been taken.

If I ordered a Big Mac and the delivery driver removed the lettuce, I'd be pretty annoyed.

If I order a laptop with an Intel processor (for £1,000+) and Dell removed features... annoyed would be an understatement.

June 16th, 2021 13:00

Had a tech rep tell me that Dell devices don't support S3.

I've made a discussion on the Intel forum to get clarification as to whether there's any kind of certification for Intel based devices and their features.

11 Posts

September 24th, 2021 01:00

@DELL-Chris Mthe FAQ you pointed to simply says that modern DELL laptops don't support being transported in a bag in Standby mode.

Can we agree that's awful ?

No Events found!