Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

1 Message

March 24th, 2020 16:00

Install McAfee Livesafe after uninstaling it

Hi,

I purchased a Dell XPS 7950 and have uninstalled the McAfee LiveSafe. I thought it was a demo and after checking the order I see it was 12 months subcription.

How can I get this back? I did not register it with McAfee.

There is no software listed in my digital assistant.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

March 24th, 2020 18:00

@Bryceee  I'm not sure, but I would strongly recommend that you just continue without it.  Third-party AV seems to cause more problems than it solves in this era of major Windows upgrades every 6 months, and Windows Defender holds up quite well against third-party solutions in independent tests.  I gave up third-party AV when Microsoft introduced Security Essentials, which was rolled into Windows Defender in Windows 8.  Meanwhile, I read about AV causing problems like preventing Windows updates from installing, rendering systems unbootable after updates install (because the AV had hooked into the OS in some way that Microsoft didn't support, and the update changed something that AV shouldn't have been touching), and preventing various legitimate activity that the user wanted to perform.  Symantec has been in the news recently because Google has twice now tried to enable a security feature in Chrome, and each time they tried it, Symantec AV has caused Chrome to start crashing.  Google rolled it out, then backed off when this happened to give Symantec time to fix it, then they tried to enable it again and the same thing happened.

Dell likely bundles a 12-month subscription to McAfee because McAfee is paying them to do that, banking on some Dell customers becoming paying McAfee customers when the initial 12 months are up simply because the software is already there.  Just because they're doing that doesn't mean that the software is worth using to "get your money's worth".

380 Posts

March 25th, 2020 04:00

I second JP's comments.

JohnD

• 

16.7K Posts

March 25th, 2020 06:00

Bryceee,

You can click the link here for information downloading the McAfee software. You may need your order number from Dell showing that you purchased it.

You can also click here for information.

No Events found!