Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 22nd, 2019 02:00

Intel Optane Memory Pinning, error

getting this error message, any help welcome

Intel Optane(tm) Memory Pinning : can not load the file DLL ´iaStorAfsServiceApi.dll´ : Can not find the specified module. ( Exception HRESULT : 0x8007007E).

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

December 2nd, 2019 07:00

Welcome to the Dell Community.

* From your Service Tag page, click DRIVERS & DOWNLOADS
* Select the Serial ATA drop down category
* Look for the latest Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver (version 15.5.2.1054 or newer)
* Download/install. When done, restart the PC and retest

* Go to the “Control Panel”
* Click on “Default Programs”
* In the lower left hand corner click on “Programs and Features”
* First you could try to "Repair/Modify" any "Intel Optane Software" that may be installed (Memory and Storage Management, Pinning Explorer Extensions)
* Reboot and test
* If that does not work then “Uninstall” any "Intel Optane Software" that may be installed
* Reboot and test

Best regards,

U2

Quick Background on Intel Optane Memory

2 Posts

July 22nd, 2019 03:00

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024626/memory-and-storage.html

Ran into it an hour ago also.

I did check as stated in the above link, but was already disabled.

Restarted, seems to be fixed for now.

Otherwise I will uninstall Intel Radip Technology software entirely...

2 Posts

July 22nd, 2019 04:00

Nope, it came back.

I uninstalled the Intel Optane Pinning Explorer Extensions

2 Posts

July 25th, 2019 15:00

How did you do that

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

July 26th, 2019 04:00

Welcome to the Dell Community  @Ebin2310 

Go to the “Control Panel”

Click on “Default Programs”

In the lower left hand corner click on “Programs and Features”

You could try to "Repair" first, if not then “Uninstall” any "Intel Optane Software" that may be installed.

Reboot.

Best regards,

U2

2 Posts

July 29th, 2019 10:00

You needn't uninstall anything.

I looked for where the iaStorAfsServiceApi.dll was supposed to live,C:\Program Files\Intel\OptaneShellExtensions, but I didn't have it that dll.

The Solution that worked for me is:

Under Add/remove programs select "Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management" from the right pane ("Apps & Features"). Select "Advanced Options", then click "Repair" and then "Reset"

Restart your computer and then that iaStorAfsServiceApi.dll will be present, and you will no longer receive the error.

July 30th, 2019 12:00

my solution (Dell XPS 9570):

• download the actual version (17.5.1.1021) of Intel Rapid Storage Technology (SetupRST.exe)
  • install the update and restart your Dell
  • Have fun 

1 Message

August 2nd, 2019 14:00

This worked for me too. Thanks for posting

1 Message

August 3rd, 2019 07:00

I did a Windows 10 update the other day. And since then I get the Intel Optane Pinning error.

I found the program in my control panel's Uninstall or Change a Program section, but it doesn't have a repair option. Only remove. What now?

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

August 3rd, 2019 08:00

Welcome to the Dell Community  @Norman P 

Uninstall then reboot.

Best regards,

U2

2 Posts

August 8th, 2019 03:00

Repairing is definitely easier than uninstalling/reinstalling, but in my case it was not enough to repair/reset the "Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management" as suggested (maybe it's not even needed).

Go to the other Optane entry, the "Intel Optane Pinning Explorer Extensions", expand and click "Modify" (a small popup window comes up in the background, says something about re-configuration). Restart for good measure. I no longer get the error when I start the Windows Explorer.

159 Posts

August 10th, 2019 07:00

The Motherboard of my Precision 5530 (= XPS 15 on steroids) has been replaced yesterday, and got the error message in subject for the first time; after some research, I found the culprit (Intel Optane) and noticed that the supporting app (Intel Optane Pinning Explorer Extensions) was in the Installed Programs list, with installation date matching the MB replacement date, i.e. yesterday. I'm clueless:

I never noticed the presence of such a program in the list: was it first installed or just updated on that date ?

Is Intel Optane part of the default OS installation on recent DELL laptops ? Is my system Optane-capable in the first place (there is no "Intel® Optane™ Memory" tab in the IRST app (v. 17.5) and I found no reference to it in the BIOS) ?

I fixed the issue by uninstalling Intel Optane Pinning Explorer Extensions: I guess it won't cripple my system, as I never consciously used this feature (if it was ever present on my system before the MB exchange...): correct assumption ?

Do I understand correctly that Optane Memory is a kind of app cache on dedicated flash storage ? My system has only SSDs, is there any benefit in using Optane (if it's supposed to work with non-dedicated SSDs) ?

1 Message

August 16th, 2019 08:00

How did you uninstall it?  I don't see that option in programs to uninstall

2 Posts

August 23rd, 2019 13:00

Yes - Go to "Apps and Features", select "Modify" on "Intel Optane Pinning Explorer Extensions". The modify asks no questions but runs some setup process and the error goes away.

1 Message

August 23rd, 2019 23:00

Thanks for the information

I did the following and it solved the issue.

Under Add/remove programs select Intel Optane Pinning Explorer Extensions program and select Modify. It will get reinstalled. Now the iaStorAfsServiceApi.dll file appeared in C:\Program Files\Intel\OptaneShellExtensions directory and issue resolved.

No Events found!