Start a Conversation

Unsolved

T

14 Posts

July 6th, 2020 21:00

Intel takes control of monitor instead of NVDIA

I have a monitor that can deliver 144Hz, IPS and low input lag. I connected it to my Alienware 15R2 laptop via USB-C/Thunderbolt3. The monitor does not show any hardware or configurations in the NVIDIA panel, but it is in the INTEL panel, which is the integrated graphics card that has lower specs than the NVIDIA card. 
The issue is that the screen is flickering due to low voltage from low specs INTEL card?

or somehow not have enough horse power to handle the 144Hz monitor?

I think the issue could be fixed if the NVDIA card could take over INTEL, but i just don’t know how to manually change it.

Also, If I connected it thru HDMI, then the NVDIA automatically takes control the monitor in the Nvidia panel. But HDMI can’t deliver 144hz plus adaptive sync feature. There are some downsides thru HDMI. Hence, no need recommendation for HDMI.

489 Posts

July 7th, 2020 07:00

I'm afraid few laptops these days allow direct video out from the dGPU, most use Optimus where the dGPU is wired as a co-processor and video out is always via the iGPU. Does your AW support G-sync? 

14 Posts

July 13th, 2020 18:00

Yes, it does. It has 980M graphics card.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

July 13th, 2020 19:00

@TamFaker  You already posted this exact same question about your Alienware system in this thread in the Alienware section of the forum, and I answered it there.  Did you not believe me or something?  Now you're posting it in the XPS section even though you're not asking anything about XPS systems?

14 Posts

July 13th, 2020 21:00

I posted them at the same time. I do believe what you said, but who knows there might be a trick that only a few people know.

14 Posts

July 14th, 2020 06:00

@jphughan  is there any way to get 144Hz with adaptive sync ? I’m able to get 144Hz by using 2.0 hdmi-hdmi but with adaptivesync off. Also, it causes some games with tear, so i need adaptive sync. Can the HDMI to DisplayPort work? Is there any other way to displayport to get full features on my monitor?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

July 14th, 2020 06:00

@TamFaker  If you can't run Adaptive V-Sync over HDMI, then you don't have an option here.  DisplayPort to HDMI adapters/cables are designed to connect a DisplayPort source to an HDMI input, not the other way around.  And even if you got an active HDMI to DisplayPort adapter that can work in the opposite direction as you're attempting, I don't think that would improve anything since you would still be starting with an HDMI signal from the GPU, so if you can't use certain features when connected over HDMI, then adding a conversion to DisplayPort afterward isn't going to change what the GPU can do.  And if your only output capable of sending a native DisplayPort signal is connected to the Intel GPU, which doesn't allow passing through G-Sync or Adaptive V-Sync, then you're stuck.  If you want to eliminate tearing, then you'd have to enable regular V-Sync, but that's difficult when running a high refresh rate display.  Unfortunately there isn't a better option with that system.

No Events found!