Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 18th, 2021 11:00

Internal Display

Hello! I have a Dell XPS 15 9560 and I was wondering if I could change my Internal Display to the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050  within my device rather than the Intel HD Graphics 630. And if I can, how? I already went to the Nvidia Control Panel and changed the Global Settings to the Nvidia High-performance processor and I already set the PhysX processor to the Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050. If possible, could I change the display to the GPU. It also already set the render to the GPU

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

May 18th, 2021 13:00

It's a co-processor, used for applications that benefit from the features it has the Intel GPU does not.  It is not a true discrete GPU -- it has no physical connection to the display panel.  It's a render-only device -- the Intel GPU passes all video data to the display.

Most systems are (and have been for some years now) designed this way.  There are some high-end gaming systems or high-spec models (the XPS 9700 with the RTX GPU is one;  so are many Alienware and some high-end Precision systems) that do have firmware-controllable outputs.  The same is true of competing systems.

May 18th, 2021 11:00

Also, the laptop display is the Intel HD Graphics 630, and the PhysX is pointing to the Nvidia GPU

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

May 18th, 2021 12:00

The answer is no - the system is hardwired to the Intel GPU -- there's no way to change that, either internally or externally.

May 18th, 2021 13:00

So why is there a Nvidia gpu in it?

July 4th, 2022 10:00

Right! I have been wondering this on an off (or more specifically HOW the NVIDIA GPU is utilised, IS it utilised?), for nearly 4 years of owning my XPS 15 9570, with the same Nvidia GPU as mentioned by the person you were answering. Was prompted to look again today after Photoshop displayed some message about a 3D problem due to my GPU, which I didn't fully understand.

Anyhow, checking again now, with the NVIDIA GPU activity thingy I see that when open Photoshop is making use of the 1050...and if I open up Street Fighter IV that does too...but with the message that, "There are no displays connected to this GPU."...and looking in the NVIDIA Control Panel, in the Set PhysX configuration a little diagram indicates that both my laptop display and my external monitor (connected via HDMI) are wired to the Intel UHD 630...which I thought was maybe odd...but from what you write, that is how it should be?...but I still benefit from the NVIDIA gpu?

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

July 4th, 2022 11:00

You can choose which GPU is used with the nVidia control panel.  What you cannot do is disable the Intel GPU.  That message you saw is the key:  the Intel GPU is the only one physically connected to the display panel.  The nVidia GPU feeds all data it processes to the Intel GPU on its way to the display.

No Events found!